• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you want the Panthers to win any more games?

hepcat

Here we are, witnessing the Panthers back their way into a third straight losing season. A season that featured a really fun, enjoyable 5 game losing streak. That follows losing streaks of 7 and 8 in 2018 and 2019. So hey, at least they improved there - a smaller losing streak is nothing to sneeze at!

So tell me, do you want the Panthers to try to win this weekend, or lose out to get a top draft pick?

The 4-8 Butt Broncos are coming to town this week, and they on about the same level of poop the Panthers are. Do they have motivation to win? They have young QB going through growing pains, so maybe they want to build some confidence in him to decide if he's the future.

The Panthers on the other hand are likely realizing their own QB is going to take the Panthers no where but Frustrationville and Miserytown.

So I'm in the lose-out camp. I'm tired of watching this team flail around and it all starts with the QB position. They need to get a QB of the future and there's no better way to do that than to have as high a draft pick as possible. Winning any more games will just put other QB hungry teams in front of them in the draft order and make it harder to draft their guy.

But maybe winning more games is good for morale or something.

No. I remember the 2015 season how mad I got when we won 15 games.  Totally screwed up our draft position. Every Sunday sucked knowing that we were throwing away a chance at a top draft pick, and for what? To almost have an undefeated season?  Nope. Give me less wins and MORE  HIGH DRAFT PICKS every year!

No. I want a great QB that’s healthy. Loved Cam and the only reason I was fine with releasing him was that he’s clearly not healthy. We are in a unique position where we win the tiebreakers with the 4 win teams and lose the tiebreakers with the 5 win teams. 1 or 2 wins and we are middle of the first instead of 7. I know we got Burns but we lost a decent 3rd round pick (maybe our starting LG) because Marty couldn’t wait to catch the falling knife. If we had pick 40 maybe he doesn’t waste two picks.

What so many people just don't understand is that the only team who is really any good at TRULY tanking is the Jets.  And looks where it's gotten them.  They've been terrible forever with very little relief.  They've drafted high, some good players have come in and been ruined.

Remember last year the Dolphins tried to tank?  Getting rid of good players and trying to accumulate draft picks?  Yea, that team was 5-11.  You have to be all kinds of talentless with a terrible staff and no locker room buy in to be truly awful.  The Panthers just don't fit that.

Yea, we're probably going to finish 5-11.  But this team has a pretty good staff, a locker room that's on board and while we lack talent, we aren't devoid.

What you or I or anyone "wants" is irrelevant.  This team is going to go out there every Sunday and give it everything they have in an attempt to win football games.  They'll probably only win one more game, if that, but they are going to try.

As far as draft positioning goes, there are tons of factors.  We'll probably have a top 10 pick, regardless of our effort.  Then the question becomes how many teams in front of us need a QB, and how many high end QB's are actually available this year.  There could be a whole thread just debating how many NFL QB's are waiting to be chosen this year.  Some say 2-3, some say 4-5.  Crazy.  We won't have any idea how this offseason will go down until the season is over.

1 minute ago, Sir Purr said:

No. I remember the 2015 season how mad I got when we won 15 games.  Totally screwed up our draft position. Every Sunday sucked knowing that we were throwing away a chance at a top draft pick, and for what? To almost have an undefeated season?  Nope. Give me less wins and MORE  HIGH DRAFT PICKS every year!

Lol. Yeah, 2015 and 2020 are the exact same scenarios. Some people are happy with a mediocre team that tries hard. At least we have a nice guy QB. I always hated that cocky Cam and his awful dressing. I’d much rather be mediocre and try to win instead of having talent that can actually win. 

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you actively want your team to lose for a higher draft pick you have a micro penis and like to watch your wife sleep with other men. Don't get mad at me, it was an article I read where they did a study on people who want their team to lose. It's actually an interesting read. I will try yo find it.

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Remember last year the Dolphins tried to tank?  Getting rid of good players and trying to accumulate draft picks?  Yea, that team was 5-11.  You have to be all kinds of talentless with a terrible staff and no locker room buy in to be truly awful.  The Panthers just don't fit that.

Huh? The Dolphins are 8-4, probably in the playoffs, have their QB of the future and have Houston’s 1st and 2nd round picks this year as well. They are in a heck of a position for the future by making those trades. Honestly, they are now in a far better position than us and they absolutely did the tank but unfortunately played the Jets and Cincinnati last year. It still worked. We’ll probably finish 5-11 too except we got no additional draft capital (even threw away a potential 3rd and 5th) and spent $60M in cap space this year.

How come no one wants to talk about the Browns anymore?

3 minutes ago, Sir Purr said:

I have said it before and I will say it again, if you actively want your team to lose for a higher draft pick you have a micro penis and like to watch your wife sleep with other men. Don't get mad at me, it was an article I read where they did a study on people who want their team to lose. It's actually an interesting read. I will try yo find it.

Wow man, what a burn. Lol. Enjoy that hard fought 5-11.

If beating the Aints keeps them from getting the bye then yes I want to beat them, even if it meant losing out on a top QB. There are plenty of ways to build the team to be a contender without relying on a high draft pick for a QB.

Don't care a ton about the other games. I prefer wins and the team getting on the right track but if we lose I at least want us to look good and continue to see some progress/development from younger players and to not lose because of coaching but because of a talent deficiency.

Archived