• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bridgewater "running out of time"

Mr. Scot

Joe Person talks about Bridgewater, the end of today's game and how Matt Rhule sees him.

Bridgewater running out of time to show he's the answer (subscription required)

Excerpts...

If you’ve watched this team even a little bit this year, you knew how it was going to end, even if the details might have been a little different. Less than a minute later, Lock was kneeling three times to improve the Broncos’ record to 5-8.

Matt Rhule, who, along with GM Marty Hurney, decided last winter to move on from Cam Newton in favor of Bridgewater — the Newton piece, at least, looks to have been the correct call. Now Rhule must figure out if Bridgewater can be a winning quarterback.

“Absolutely,” Rhule said. “But I don’t think he’s gonna be successful in two-minute if he gets sacked on the first play. I don’t think he’s gonna be successful if we have drops. I think all of us have to continue to work together to improve. We were down 15 and they brought us back, and they scored again. He scored a bunch of points in the fourth quarter. I thought he was fantastic throughout the entire fourth quarter.”

Well, he was fantastic in the fourth quarter until he wasn’t, which was with the game on the line.

With the clock ticking toward the two-minute warning, Rhule wanted the offense to huddle and give offensive coordinator Joe Brady a chance to think about his third-and-8 call. But Bridgewater kept rolling with the hurry-up offense and took the snap from Matt Paradis one second before the two-minute warning for what turned out to be a nothing play: A pass that was well over Cooper’s head on what amounted to a throwaway as linebacker Josey Jewell bore down on Bridgewater.

Bridgewater took responsibility for the third-down play, saying he thought he saw the defense kind of mulling around before the snap.

“We could have used the two-minute to come up with probably an ideal play. The play I signaled in was actually a good play, as well. But we just didn’t execute,” Bridgewater said. “Like Coach said, it’s one of those deals where (if) we use the two-minute, we can talk about it on the sideline.”

It’s unclear whether Brady, quarterbacks coach Jake Peetz — anybody — was telling Bridgewater through his helmet transmitter to come to the sideline and let the clock run down to 2:00.

“Like I said, I did not want to run that play before the (break). But ultimately, everything falls on me,” Rhule said. “That communication — I have to go back through and work with the staff to see how that happened.”

Rhule also might want to check with Brady on the fourth-down call, which called for downfield routes by Cooper and Robby Anderson, with Curtis Samuel running a shallow crosser. To their credit, the Broncos — playing without their top three cornerbacks — had good coverage on everyone.

So rather than try to thread one to Anderson, the game’s leading receiver with eight catches for 84 yards, Bridgewater threw to Samuel 7 yards short of the first-down marker, which is where cornerback De’Vante Bausby tackled him.

Ballgame.

Bridgewater said he saw interior pressure and wanted to give Samuel a chance rather than take a sack.

“They ran a little game inside with the D-line and as I was stepping up, felt the looper coming free. Our guys did a good job getting a hand on him trying to slow him down. But like I said, Curtis just ended up popping as I got through the progression,” Bridgewater said. “I wish I could have threw the ball to the sticks. But if I tried to just throw it to the sticks, I may have gotten sacked.”

“I don’t believe in panic. I don’t believe in huge, huge, huge changes in the middle of a season,” Rhule said. “I think you go through the season and you try to do what you do better.”

So don’t expect Rhule to give P.J. Walker or Will Grier a December start — nor should he. Bridgewater has three more chances to show the Panthers they don’t need to use their first-round pick on a quarterback or sign a free-agent QB.

But based on Bridgewater’s 2020 track record, the Panthers are soon headed for some serious discussions about the QB position, lest history keep repeating itself.

Side Note: Have said it before, The Athletic is worth it.

"The play I signaled in was actually a good play, as well. But we just didn’t execute,”

fuging SMH

This guy just can't take responsibility for anything! 

I don't know if there is any player I've hated more than good ole likable Teddy Bridgetoterribilia.

14 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

"The play I signaled in was actually a good play, as well. But we just didn’t execute,”

fuging SMH

This guy just can't take responsibility for anything! 

I don't know if there is any player I've hated more than good ole likable Teddy Bridgetoterribilia.

We literally have Ron Rivera at QB

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bridgewater certainly made his fair share of mistakes in the game, but it honestly doesn't sound like the two minute thing was his fault.

You gotta communicate these things, and it appears our coaches didn't do that.

Teddy has gotten the ball for a final drive trailing by less than a touchdown in seven games this year. The Panthers have won zero.

For his entire career, Teddy Bridgewater has led less game winning drives than Mitchell Trubisky.

At some point, you are who you are.

I don't understand how the last 3 games are going to show us something different from Bridgewater that he hasn't already shown throughout his career. He is who he is. Three games isn't going to change that. If it does and Rhule falls for it and it costs us a chance at getting a real QB, then he is a fool and shouldn't be our head coach. 

21 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Teddy has gotten the ball for a final drive trailing by less than a touchdown in seven games this year. The Panthers have won zero.

For his entire career, Teddy Bridgewater has led less game winning drives than Mitchell Trubisky.

At some point, you are who you are.

Wouldn't deny that.

Just saying this particular issue isn't on him.

1 hour ago, Shaqil915 said:

We literally have Ron Rivera at QB

LOL that cracked me up.  It’s more true than I’d like it to be.  Same stoic face and all, but at least Teddy smiles sometimes.  

But yeah, at the end of the day, Teddy is a QB who hasn’t ever thrown for more than 14 touchdowns in a season (he’ll probably break that with 15 or 16 this year), has shown no clutch ability at the end of games, and does not have deep ball ability that keeps defenses on edge.  With the speed we have at WR we should be much better than we are.  Unless he looks like Patrick Mahomes the next 3 games, nothing he does will change my mind after what I’ve seen so far.  

Archived