• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A horrible mistake.

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Interesting that it came when an entire new executive staff was hired and Hurney's role diminished

yeah but otoh they drafted a (hybrid) linebacker that's setting the league on fire. that's kinda like hurney's thing. 

im not defending hurney or anything, just throwing that out theree

i actually think hurney is about to be promoted out of most responsibility, because that's how you fail in the big world of finance; upwards

I think Beane would have struggled here under Richardson, which was who was still in charge when Gettleman was fired. I think Richardson was always planning on bringing Hurney back, and you know Hurney would have never accepted a diminished role under Beane. Beane had to leave, and if we'd somehow kept him, he'd have been in a bad situation with a HC that he couldn't fire and an owner who was an absolute creep/racist. I'm really happy for him, and for McDermott, and for the few people I know from Buffalo who don't suck, haha. 

Rhule has a plan(and Marty Hurney as our long-term GM is not on his list). We got our hopes up with a strong-ish start to this season, but we're a couple of seasons away from being perennial competitors. I'm bullish on the Panthers though. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Honestly think the loss of Sean McDermott was just as big a deal as Beane's departure.

Sadly, there was no way to prevent that outside of dumping Rivera and that wasn't going to happen.

they always said he was the real up and comer in philly, and his career trajectory took a detour due to some organizational poo that was really out of his control

1 hour ago, saX man said:

Beane not only took himself, but basically had a good chunk of our draft intel that year.  They intentionally leapfrogged us to get a left tackle for Josh Allen one pick before Moton (slyly traded up for him) in Dion Dawkins. 

That's interesting considering Beane wasn't even hired by the Bills until after the 2017 draft.  What a sly guy indeed to be the Bills' shadow GM while working for the Panthers.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Is there anything stating that he definitely wanted to stay here? I'm not saying he didn't want to stay but that's always the wild card in these situations, as we typically assume the person/player was always all-in on their current organization.

I can't even remember how many times people or players have left this organization and very rarely does anyone bother to ask that very question. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Interesting that it came when an entire new executive staff was hired and Hurney's role diminished

How do you know Hurney's role is diminished? He's still the GM for the time being, and I am assuming (I don't know) the primary/final decision maker. I think many people forget is that the core of the roster that took us to the superbowl was built by Hurney. This current roster cannot be blamed on him, and it takes a few years to build the roster of a GM's ideal.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Beane was once one of my sources on here, although he never revealed anything he shouldn't--he would say, "we are high on....."  pertaining to the draft, or "there is a WR from Southern...."  I got 95% of my info second hand, mutual friend. He did share that the presser that featured Richardson's pie chart was embarrassing, and did not respond when asked if that is what sent Andrew Luck back to Stanford---he went to South Stanly High School and a good friend of mine stayed in touch with him---I used to get my car inspected where he did and had a chat with him for about 20 minutes once--he is very knowledgeable and simplistically insightful--most of this was before he was assistant GM and working out trades-- I wonder how much of Hurney's success was Beane?

I remember talking about that with you before.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Honestly think the loss of Sean McDermott was just as big a deal as Beane's departure.

Sadly, there was no way to prevent that outside of dumping Rivera and that wasn't going to happen.

Agreed, felt like he was the best coach we have had here in a LONG time.

Archived