• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MARTY HURNEY FIRED

jamos14
Message added by Ricky Spanish

Bad Man Gone. Everyone gets Pie

On 12/24/2020 at 12:50 AM, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Possibly, but that contract was all Hurney

Samir did a decent job making that negotiation.

And it was a dead center of the league contract with an easy out after 2 years. Everyone talks about the number but doesn't look at how it compares.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:50 AM, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Possibly, but that contract was all Hurney

I don't know know why anyone is complaining about Bridgewater's contract. The dude got payed like he has shown to be. A glorified backup. The Top per year is now double his contract + 5M. Almost everyone behind Bridgewater is on a rookie deal besides Foles and Keenum(who is being paid as a backup) before you pass the 32 mark.

Plus there is an easy out after this year and a complete out next year. 

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

I don't know know why anyone is complaining about Bridgewater's contract. The dude got payed like he has shown to be. A glorified backup. The Top per year is now double his contract + 5M. Almost everyone behind Bridgewater is on a rookie deal besides Foles and Keenum(who is being paid as a backup) before you pass the 32 mark.

Plus there is an easy out after this year and a complete out next year. 

It's because we can't use that money elsewhere. 

10 hours ago, Call Me James said:

It's because we can't use that money elsewhere. 

We are paying on the bottom end of what a starting QB in the NFL costs. The only other option is a rookie deal, which effectively would have meant naming Grier or PJ Walker as your starter and waving a white flag before the season started. IF we had not gone this route last year by playing Allen/Grier and IF we had legitimately been able to hire Joe Brady as our OC after telling him we planned to saddle him with such a qb his first year (meaning it's largely a scratch on his offense for an entire season sticking a young unproven behind a patchwork at best o line), then that MIGHT in theory be a semi palatable option to Tepper.

However, any NFL team which is already facing indifference from it's fanbase risks long term ramifications of erosion if it continues to trot out such unexciting qb play year after year.  Say what you want about Bridgewater, and I'll get you started by saying at this point he's definitely unexciting, but at least at the beginning of the year most fans were at least willing to see what he had to offer, and that kept interest going for a bit.

Bottom line, we couldn't have used the money elsewhere without pursuing options very unpalatable for reasons greater than 20M or so in cap space, especially when we aren't a cap strapped team atm. It was important to at least look like the team was making an effort to install a legit starter, for the fans and for the locker room.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, ladypanther said:

lol...they made it sound like bringing Rhule in was Marty's idea.  I really never bought into that version of things.  Tepper knew this from the start...that Marty was not going to make it to the end of his contract. Change was a 2 step process.  There was a plan. Keeping someone who had crafted such a losing record was never a part of it.

I think it's possible, maybe even plausible, that Hurney was impressed with Rhule and wanted him initially without realizing or thinking through that Rhule's approach would not mesh with his own. It's human nature when you're impressed with someone to think you could work with them great. It's hard to envision yourself as the part that doesn't fit, especially if you've been there for years.

To me the timing of Hurney's firing doesn't make a lot of sense until you factor in the recent change that allowed teams to start interviewing this past Wednesday. The change was announced publicly Tuesday. Looks like Tepper may have been willing to keep Hurney around til the end of the season until that came through, which we can assume an NFL owner would know about at least a day before the public, and then he decided to clear the deadwood asap.

I agree that keeping Hurney long term never made any sense. Glad he's gone. Super glad.

8 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

We are paying on the bottom end of what a starting QB in the NFL costs.

You can stop there. 

If teddy weren't on the books we'd have had more room to make moves with regard to resigning key players because it looks like we were always going to draft a new QB after this season since we weren't going to extend Cam. 

However, any NFL team which is already facing indifference from it's fanbase risks long term ramifications of erosion if it continues to trot out such unexciting qb play year after year.  Say what you want about Bridgewater, and I'll get you started by saying at this point he's definitely unexciting, but at least at the beginning of the year most fans were at least willing to see what he had to offer, and that kept interest going for a bit.

Hard to tell without fans in the stadium to back up this point, but many people viewed him as a middle of the road QB and signing him was a mistake and we should have embraced the tank.  In hindsight those people are probably right. 

Bottom line, we couldn't have used the money elsewhere without pursuing options very unpalatable for reasons greater than 20M or so in cap space, especially when we aren't a cap strapped team atm. It was important to at least look like the team was making an effort to install a legit starter, for the fans and for the locker room.

I mean he's 3-10 as a starter and has a pretty significant cap hit. I wouldn't die on this bridge. 

We are paying on the bottom end of what a starting QB in the NFL costs. The only other option is a rookie deal, which effectively would have meant naming Grier or PJ Walker as your starter and waving a white flag before the season started. IF we had not gone this route last year by playing Allen/Grier and IF we had legitimately been able to hire Joe Brady as our OC after telling him we planned to saddle him with such a qb his first year (meaning it's largely a scratch on his offense for an entire season sticking a young unproven behind a patchwork at best o line), then that MIGHT in theory be a semi palatable option to Tepper.

Teddy was very unpalatable by anyone familiar with who he was as a QB and not blinded by the Saints winning a few games with him last year. Teddy has been exactly who he should have been expected to be because he has been what he has always been. This is who Teddy is. Teams that have won with Teddy have won in spite of him not because of him. This season has shown what Teddy can do with a team that is competitive and needs a little bit of a lift from the QB.

Archived