• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Ireland rumored to be a GM candidate

Mr. Scot

Regarding the Dez Bryant thing, Jim Trotter wrote about that a little while back (link)

Two sources familiar with the situation contend that Ireland's question was nothing more than the logical follow-up to comments Bryant had made about his family. According to the sources, Ireland began the meeting by asking Bryant, 21, about his upbringing and his relationship with his siblings. Then he asked what Bryant's father did for a living when Bryant was growing up. The following exchange allegedly ensued:

"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Ireland apologized Tuesday for asking what has been described as a classless, offensive and potentially illegal question. But if the incident went down as described by two members of the Dolphins organization, Bryant should be the next to repent because there was no need for this story to go from a controlled burn to a raging wildfire.

Ireland simply connected the dots given to him by Bryant. Could he have been more tactful with his question? Absolutely. He could have gotten around the controversy by asking: What type of work did your mother do for your father? But Bryant also could have been clearer with his message. The anger and outrage he expressed to Yahoo! Sports over the incident has as much to do with the word picture he painted as it does with Ireland's conclusion.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Regarding the Dez Bryant thing, Jim Trotter wrote about that a little while back (link)

Some people have their minds made up, no chance to change it now. His Miami run is filed with headcases and he should have gotten fired. Also once he got to the Saints, they started drafting ELITE tier pools. They were on a 7-9 repeating slump, til they started hitting on nearly ALL picks no matter the number or round. Plus theyve had some of the best UDFAs during that time too, makes me sick....

I think its going to a fresh "baby" face future thinking guy. If his ideas impress Rhule and Tepper, thats what it would take. Honestly think Tepper has already made a call or two before Herniay news. 

3 hours ago, ladypanther said:

They mentioned it a couple of times last night with the two teams playing.  Even said that Brees came into the draft room and they told him they were taking him.  Brees reaction was reportedly..."I hope he does not mind setting on the bench."

I think part of that is Payton's ego shining through. Easy to say now "I was gonna draft him." That was never reported at the time or in the few years after that draft. It came up when Payton was asked about Mahomes before their game and he said he was gonna draft him if KC didn't. I have no reason to take Sean at his word there, he's a PoS

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think part of that is Payton's ego shining through. Easy to say now "I was gonna draft him." That was never reported at the time or in the few years after that draft. It came up when Payton was asked about Mahomes before their game and he said he was gonna draft him if KC didn't. I have no reason to take Sean at his word there, he's a PoS

Eh, they've been saying it since 2017. They had Marshon 1 then Mahomes 2.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236981/saints-got-their-guy-but-would-have-drafted-patrick-mahomes-ii-if-they-didnt

Article is from right after the draft 2017. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Eh, they've been saying it since 2017. They had Marshon 1 then Mahomes 2.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236981/saints-got-their-guy-but-would-have-drafted-patrick-mahomes-ii-if-they-didnt

Article is from right after the draft 2017. 

So if Marshon was 1 and Mahomes 2, they wouldn’t have taken Mahomes they still would’ve taken Marshon, which was my point. Payton said recently that they would’ve drafted Mahomes if the Chiefs didn’t trade up for him, which contradicts what he said back in 2017. I absolutely believe that they were high on Mahomes, it makes sense. But they weren’t going to take him over Lattimore.

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

So if Marshon was 1 and Mahomes 2, they wouldn’t have taken Mahomes they still would’ve taken Marshon, which was my point. Payton said recently that they would’ve drafted Mahomes if the Chiefs didn’t trade up for him, which contradicts what he said back in 2017. I absolutely believe that they were high on Mahomes, it makes sense. But they weren’t going to take him over Lattimore.

Ah I see your point. Fair fair.

Archived