• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers at Washington for the love of all that's holy please don't win gameday thread

Jeremy Igo

I think we score 13 points and the Washington Riveras score 16 points and I'm fine with that. I also think it will be one of the more boring games of the year. I'd love to see several of our young players get a bit more playing time...Thomas-Oliver, Miles Hartsfield, Sam Franklin. I doubt all of those are active, but I'd like to see them get some experience.

2 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

I think we score 13 points and the Washington Riveras score 16 points and I'm fine with that. I also think it will be one of the more boring games of the year. I'd love to see several of our young players get a bit more playing time...Thomas-Oliver, Miles Hartsfield, Sam Franklin. I doubt all of those are active, but I'd like to see them get some experience.

Agreed. I’d even say I’d rather see PJ or Grier even. Figure out if any these should be rostered next year. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hadn't thought about it but yeah, he'd have been there for Rhule's stint with the Giants.

So would Gettleman (whom Rhule has actually mentioned as someone he respects) but Jonathan Jones doesn't think Gettleman is getting fired.

Imagine the Panthers GM succession looking like: Marty Hurney, Dave Gettleman, Marty Hurney, Dave Gettleman...

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm starting to get the impression that at this point Igo might be in favor of tanking.

I could be wrong :thinking:

You know many  of us feel the same way but I know the players are going out there to win.  They are NOT going through the motions and let WFT win.

This game is a toss up with Haskins at the helm.  Smith gives them a better opportunity to win.  Burns being out will hurt our defense too but make no mistake.  They aren't playing to lose. 

I hope teddy comes out and puts on a show but we fall just short of a win but teddy's performance impresses Ron so much that when the WFT hires hurney in the offseason they decide to throw us a 3rd round pick in the offseason for him. 

I'm not praying for a win by any stretch but I think the need to go 4-12 to draft the qb we want in the 1st round is definitely exaggerated. You've got 1 elite qb prospect that is going 1st and then a bunch of prospects in the next tier with their own set of question marks with no consensus on which order they should go. I just don't see teams bending over backwards scrambling to get their choice of the 2nd or 3rd qb this year. I sense a year like last year, with Lawrence in the Burrow role, and us and the Jets (or possibly just us), drafting our Tua and Herbert and then things tempering after that.

The market for qbs seems weak. Dallas will very likely resign Dak, Atlanta seems tied to Matt Ryan for another year or two. Could a team like San Francisco or Oakland pay a ransom to move up? I just don't see it unless they completely fall in love with a prospect. And if they did, they will trade the farm to move up in front of us knowing we are destined to draft a qb, regardless of whether it's at 4 or 8. So let's not stress too much. I fully expect us to take the 3rd qb in the draft (if not 2nd), whether it's at 4 or 6 or 10. I'd say 70% we draft qb3, 15% qb4, 13% qb2, 2% other. Very scientific formulae used. 

8 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I'm not praying for a win by any stretch but I think the need to go 4-12 to draft the qb we want in the 1st round is definitely exaggerated. You've got 1 elite qb prospect that is going 1st and then a bunch of prospects in the next tier with their own set of question marks with no consensus on which order they should go. I just don't see teams bending over backwards scrambling to get their choice of the 2nd or 3rd qb this year. I sense a year like last year, with Lawrence in the Burrow role, and us and the Jets (or possibly just us), drafting our Tua and Herbert and then things tempering after that.

The market for qbs seems weak. Dallas will very likely resign Dak, Atlanta seems tied to Matt Ryan for another year or two. Could a team like San Francisco or Oakland pay a ransom to move up? I just don't see it unless they completely fall in love with a prospect. And if they did, they will trade the farm to move up in front of us knowing we are destined to draft a qb, regardless of whether it's at 4 or 8. So let's not stress too much. I fully expect us to take the 3rd qb in the draft (if not 2nd), whether it's at 4 or 6 or 10. I'd say 70% we draft qb3, 15% qb4, 13% qb2, 2% other. Very scientific formulae used. 

Actually the general consensus is the top 3 QBs in the draft will most certainly be gone in the top 10, if not top 5. Id bet $1k right now that’ll happen. After them there will only be 2 more QBs worth a poo with a bit of a drop off.

This game would drop us from 3/4 to 8/9, where the chances of one of those QBs is slim to none and the CHOICE of one of those QBs would be 0. Meaning probably one of them or nothing.

Nah it’s not exaggerated. It is exactly what it is. More choices give you a better probability to get it right. That’s an undeniable fact of life. I can’t imagine it not being more desirable to have your pick out of 4 QBs than be forced to take the single one that is leftover.

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Actually the general consensus is the top 3 QBs in the draft will most certainly be gone in the top 10, if not top 5. Id bet $1k right now that’ll happen. After them there will only be 2 more QBs worth a poo with a bit of a drop off.

This game would drop us from 3/4 to 8/9, where the chances of one of those QBs is slim to none and the CHOICE of one of those QBs would be 0. Meaning probably one of them or nothing.

Nah it’s not exaggerated. It is exactly what it is. More choices give you a better probability to get it right. That’s an undeniable fact of life. I can’t imagine it not being more desirable to have your pick out of 4 QBs than be forced to take the single one that is leftover.

Agreed and I think there will be potential surprises. If you say the Falcons may stick with Ryan for a year or two that screams take a potential replacement when you finally have another top 5 pick. Same with assuming Dallas will stick with Dak. That’s a poo ton of money and they have been plying better lately with just Dalton. If they scout QBs and the right one falls to them don’t assume they won’t. You also have trade ups. People may point to Burns and say he dropped all the way to us and damn it if we weren’t really lucky, but had we not dropped so much we could have had a 3rd round guard or Maxx Crosby if Marty hadn’t had to trade up for Little. Having earlier picks ensures that you get your Herbert and others.

3 hours ago, LegioX said:

Why are all the pundits still saying Young is the front runner for DROY. What the hell has he done that Chinn  hasn’t? Chinn has two TDs back to back in 1 game. That should be enough

High draft pick, more coverage in college, went to OSU. It’s all about name recognition.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Gotta love pulling out the don’t create a losing culture card. We are 2 and fuging 23 to end the last 3 years. We are the non-2020 Browns and Lions and Jags. JFC, how about we hope for the 3rd pick do hopefully we get the best QB and rest of the draft we can? Talent that wins creates a good culture. You don’t get wins in the NFL without talent. Oh, we don’t want Lawrence, let’s build a team and then get a QB. Oh, we don’t want better picks we want to finish 6-10 because it will magically make us better. Which is it? Do you want to build a better team with better draft slots or not?

So our losing over the past few years has led to more and more losing (2-23, as you put it) and that’s your argument against the idea of a losing culture? Ironic...

Archived