• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“winning franchises win” says matt rhule (5-10 record)

tanking a season you were going to lose anyway doesn’t guarantee future success, that’s true. but trying to win doesn’t always work out so well for teams either though, does it? take for example this year’s carolina panthers. not gonna get to coach against ron rivera and dwayne haskins every week my friend. or an injured matt stafford and a soon to be fired head coach. and when you’re going up against well coached teams and you’re outgunned at the most important position in the sport, it takes more than just “trying to win.” but i would think rhule (5-10) has to understand that by this point.

a lot of teams in the position to tank in the first place were there because they’re not talented, they’re poorly coached, and they’re poorly managed. of course it’s gonna take more than one high draft pick to overcome that. but i think carolina was in a unique situation this year compared to franchises like the jets and jaguars. coaching seems fine, the roster seems like a solid foundation to build on going forward, and there’s a gaping hole at qb (the most important position and the most difficult position to fill outside of the draft).

maybe we get lucky. people point to quarterbacks like mahomes, watson and jackson as recent examples of good-to-elite quarterbacks who fell lower than they should have (and lower than the carolina panthers will likely pick in 2021). but is there a comparable prospect in this class? is there an elite black quarterback in this class who will fall because idiot GMs don’t think they Look The Part or would rather have them convert to wr or some bullshit? or would we have been better off eating one late loss in a lost season and having our pick of the remaining quarterbacks at #3? does 5-10 feel better than 4-11? they both feel like poo to me. is the point to win super bowls or to be marginally better than the alternative?

6 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

There are myriad other threads this rant could have gone in. Why did you feel the need to start a new thread?

this is an examination of rhule’s “winning franchises win” philosophy and how that relates to a losing franchise like the carolina panthers. winning franchises win. losing franchises lose. what have the carolina panthers done this year? the rhetoric doesn’t match the product. so what use is it? 

9 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Ahhh look, another thread about why our favorite team should have lost on purpose

Our team mantra is Keep Pounding damnit.  Sam Mills would roll over in his grave if this team intentionally gave the fug up for the sake of a draft position 

the ghost of sam mills would have probably been pretty happy for his son in that case i bet. don’t really care to argue about it though because he’s dead as a doornail and has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

10 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'm still shocked Cooter, Philly, and their TB loons didn't have Teddy's back this season saying people didn't like him due to his skin color. I guess only good players get their dedicated SJW skills, lol.

They don’t stick up for black QB’s “without a personality.”

Thats a direct quote from a poster in their corner.

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

And we aren’t a winning franchise.

right. like the question shouldn’t be “what do winning franchises do?” because it has nothing to do with the panthers, a clear losing franchise. the question should be “what do losing franchises do to become winning franchises” and the answer would appear to me to be “acquire good players and coaches” and in that case there’s absolutely no downside to having a larger pool of players to pick from in the draft at every single pick.

So what was Carolina to do when the other team is throwing the ball to you ? Tell the guys to drop it? Tell your team if the other team fumbles dont try to pick it up? Washington was a bad team over all yesterday and the QB play was really bad, sometimes you are just the better team that day. Are you really shocked RR got out coahed? It didnt look like his guys where ready to go out and win the NFC East...

Archived