• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At 9, The Carolina Panthers Will Select

jfra78

3 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Have a better, younger, cheaper team?

As close as we were in all of those games, you don’t think improving the team and getting CMC back means playoffs? 

Brother I had to be the bearer of bad news but Teddy b aint taking jack to the playoffs.  And if we trot him out there again without a plan b we lose a year with these good/great players on their rookie deals. 

The options for qb are as such

1. Dont draft a qb and trot TB out there again hoping he improves (but c'mon we know what he is)

2. Sign another vet qb to compete.  (I seriously doubt we sign another vet for decent money for mediocre play)

3. Figure out a way to draft a qb and let him sit and learn for 6 games a year whatever that way we at least have a plan in place to utilize this crop of rookie contracts.

Unless I am off here those are the only options I can see for this team at QB.   So option 3 to me seems like the most viable for long term success.  Kicking the can down the road on the qb position is how we stay perpetually a 5-8 win team.  You cannot win without a franchise qb

8 hours ago, jfra78 said:

We saw this year what bad MLB play does for your team.  How many games did we lose by 1 score? Being able to stop just one more drive a game could have meant playoffs.

We are 0-8 on the season with the ball in our possession and one score or less to overcome. If that doesn't make the case for QB, I am not really sure what does.

7 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Good linebackers are taken on day two almost every single year. In the modern NFL spending a top ten pick on an off ball linebacker is an awful allocation of resources.

How good was Luke last year without a DL in front of him doing their jobs? How good was Ray Lewis when they initially took his stalwart NT away from him? Even HOF linebackers don't win games by themselves. QB's can actually do that. 

Parsons is an elite player and would start for us for many years. His positional value is also very low, much like a RB. It isn't a position where you can gain a great edge unless(as was already pointed out) he is a pass rushing terror. Most of the highest paid LB's are high paid for that specific reason, because they constantly get to the QB. 

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Brother I had to be the bearer of bad news but Teddy b aint taking jack to the playoffs.  And if we trot him out there again without a plan b we lose a year with these good/great players on their rookie deals. 

The options for qb are as such

1. Dont draft a qb and trot TB out there again hoping he improves (but c'mon we know what he is)

2. Sign another vet qb to compete.  (I seriously doubt we sign another vet for decent money for mediocre play)

3. Figure out a way to draft a qb and let him sit and learn for 6 games a year whatever that way we at least have a plan in place to utilize this crop of rookie contracts.

Unless I am off here those are the only options I can see for this team at QB.   So option 3 to me seems like the most viable for long term success.  Kicking the can down the road on the qb position is how we stay perpetually a 5-8 win team.  You cannot win without a franchise qb

I Don’t disagree that those are the options. I don’t think there will be a clear cut franchise QB available for us to draft. Fields will be a bust. Lance seems like a big gamble. I think Ridder is just as good of a prospect and the risk and opportunity cost of drafting him later on is so much less. 

6 hours ago, Panther Believer said:

I'm all for it! Like I said on twitter, no one should compare this guy to Isaiah Simmons. Simmons was much more of a tweener and never mastered one position just like Shaq Thompson did for Washington in that way. However, Micah Parson is a new era prototypical Mike in the NFL, everyone wants to talk about position value, but if your GUY (Qb) is gone don't reach. Get the sure fire baller on the defense to round out you elite young defense, just look at what Darius Leonard is doing in Indianapolis. You're talking about a game changer! He literally won them the game against the Texans 2 weeks ago with a Force fumble on the 1 yard line. Parsons is crazy good rusher because he was a DE in high school, so Phil snow could have a field day with sending him on the opposite side as Spida burns or straight up the A gap. If he's there and Zack Wilson is gone, you get this kid.

What is winning Indy games now is that they finally have competent QB play, not their MLB. That team was built to win and even with a gunslinging QB, they are rattling off wins because you can score the ball. 

So after this week we can pick as high as #4 and as low as #14, correct?  Either of those scenarios are highly unlikely; roughly where we are being the most probable.   We almost have to take a QB.  I disagree with a top 10 QB being a "project", especially this QB class.  In a weak QB class, maybe, but the 3rd and even 4th QB in this draft would equivalent to the 2nd best in most QB classes. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

LB with the 9th pick would be like picking an OG there, its bad positional value. We have some serious needs, if this is the best guy on the board then trade back.

QB, LT or great CB or trade TF back. After that, get your 3rd LBer.

As long as Snow is the DC, I doubt Chinn will ever be a pure safety, rather a hybrid LB.  We are looking for a ILB and those guys linger around during the draft after the top couple guys get selected.  OLBs get scooped up like candy on Halloween, granted, but not ILBs.  Honestly we could get like the #4 or #5 ILB in round 3.

Archived