• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why no Monk??

kmgreensman

I hate that they aren't giving Monk a chance. I am not at practice or know inside the locker room so maybe its something with attitude. Has anyone heard of a reason?  Maybe it is just the fact that he hasn't showed that basketball is important to him.  I would love to see him and Ball playing together.  Just think of the alley oops.  Last time I saw Monk play it was almost like he was "scared" to score and more wanting to set up others, but Monk has the game to be the one that should be thinking score first.  He has so much talent. I just hope we can find a way to get something out of that before we lose him. 

You know you are probably right. Its his 4th year...I keep looking at him like he is in his second season.  I think he has loads of talent, but I do I think his basketball IQ coming in was very low. He just didn't seem to understand the basics of defense like "Ball-You-Man" or how to use his peripheral vision to keep up with both. I guess he was so good on offense no coach ever spent time with him there. He has the athletic ability to play defense. I think he just didn't have the love of basketball and improving  and now the off court stuff may have been too much. I see him helping Melo a lot as he comes off the court so maybe he has learned but I hate to see a first round loto pick just go to waste. 

• 1 month later...

I guess we were right about Monk needing a chance. I have no idea why they were giving the twins playing time over Monk back then, but I am so glad they gave him the chance.  He is actually improved defensively as well. He is the purest shooter on the team. Scoring 20 points in 2nd quarter the other night and didn't even start til maybe 6 min to go in the quarter.  The only time I feel like he forces the shot is that fade away jumper from the lane.  I don't think I can remember one time he has made that....BUT a three pointer off pass or off dribble I have seen them from all sides.  I love that they are getting quality playing time out of Monk. I think people get their egos in the way and maybe because Monk failed the drug test they held it against him, but he is def an offensive threat that we have needed badly in this most recent good play.  I am going to tell you this. The hornets are in 7 or 8th in the east but only a couple of games out of 4..they are playing better than they have all year. I am exciting to watch them continue to get better.  Playoffs this year would be a very welcomed surprise. 

Why in the world would we trade Monk atp?  Other than the fact that his contract will come up for renewal soon there is no reason.

I would resign him to a decent deal personally.  He is a dynamic player and is still improving.  I love Malik Monk and do not want to lose him.