• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

can anyone prove that a sports franchise has ever purposely lost games to have a higher draft pick?

GOAT

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

McCaffrey only played in 3 games this year and I don’t think that was an accident.

Yeah people aren’t understanding what tanking means in professional sports. It’s not the players or coaches throwing games. They will always be expected to play to win. It has to do with the Front Office and who is put on the field on game day. Colts and maybe Dolphins are the closest I can remember. And it doesn’t guarantee you the top spot. 

It’s why the Washington game we should’ve put in our backups and practice squad players. Use that as a time to evaluate since the season was lost. It serves two purposes. 1. You have a lower chance of winning and securing a higher pick and 2. You get to evaluate players who you might not have had a chance to otherwise. You treat it like a preseason game for next season. Those are both good things. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Yeah people aren’t understanding what tanking means in professional sports. It’s not the players or coaches throwing games. They will always be expected to play to win. It has to do with the Front Office and who is put on the field on game day. Colts and maybe Dolphins are the closest I can remember. And it doesn’t guarantee you the top spot. 

It’s why the Washington game we should’ve put in our backups and practice squad players. Use that as a time to evaluate since the season was lost. It serves two purposes. 1. You have a lower chance of winning and securing a higher pick and 2. You get to evaluate players who you might not have had a chance to otherwise. You treat it like a preseason game for next season. Those are both good things. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

The mistakes were made before the season. Not wasting about 80M in cap space for a rebuilding team set the team up for self-imposed purgatory. If the team was going into this coming off season with around 90-100M in cap space, instead of 18M, where they wind up drafting wouldn’t be an issue. Players busting ass every game to just to stay in the league. That will build a culture. 

36 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The mistakes were made before the season. Not wasting about 80M in cap space for a rebuilding team set the team up for self-imposed purgatory. If the team was going into this coming off season with around 90-100M in cap space, instead of 18M, where they wind up drafting wouldn’t be an issue. Players busting ass every game to just to stay in the league. That will build a culture. 

I totally agree which is why I and many others flipped out when we signed bridgewater. And the subsequent moves we made. People on here were like we’re trying to win! Look at bridgewater he can throw deep! We can win with him! Here are some passes of him throwing deep! He’s the best qb in the NFCS! While paying this dude 63 million. This place is dumb as hell.

we were in a position to reboot, tank, cut old contracts, take the cap hit to free up more for the future. And we just retooled and still sucked bad. Hopefully this dumbassery left with Hurney.

Coaches and players do not try to lose on purpose but the Front Office can put teams in positions to not have the best chance. 

Players DO NOT care about draft picks.

Coaches, the Win/Loss record is their resume. They need that to stay employed and for future employment. See Hue Jackson from the Browns, people thought they were purposively trying to tank, well he lost his job.

The Miami example is a good one in reference to the FO not trying to win now, or at least trying to create a better future situation (which I would not call tanking). 

I dont think tanking exists in the NFL like it has in other sports but I do think that FO's can make make moves and expect to have a lost season.

Tanking is without any doubt CONDUCT DETRIMENTAL TO THE LEAGUE. If proven, the punishment would likely start at any benefit received by the offending team including draft picks. Add in what likely would be huge fines. 31 other teams would be more than happy to assist in any investigations.

11 hours ago, GOAT said:

the dolphins did not lose on purpose.

they ridded their roster of a couple guys for picks and chose to build things differently.

they did not lose on purpose.

Lol, like we did in 2010. These are things you do when “can’t miss” prospects are declaring for the draft and your current core is done. We got Cam out of it. People here wanted to do the same thing for Lawrence/Fields this year, but we signed Teddy and a couple mediocre guys to prevent that. That is why smart fans are pissed. You don’t compete every year without a FRANCHISE QB! Do you not understand why people are frustrated?! Dumbass

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

burden of proof is actually on you for this

Bucs pulled their starters against the Saints to end the season while winning to tank for Winston. Even the Saints coach called them out on in. They should have won but knowing if they lost they’d seal the first overall pick they pulled their starters at halftime. 

12 hours ago, Varking said:

Weird. I blocked somebody and I don’t see their posts but I can see their reactions to everything. Wonder if that’s something the mods can fix. 

9 hours ago, Dilla said:

Yeah, I've commented on that before. What's the use of the function if I see their posts anyway when they get quoted? It's annoying af.

After you block someone, you have the options to do that. You can also edit your ignored users as well.
image.thumb.png.c6e1c86f2f3a4b05575ee3fc30fc0f8f.png

Archived