• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assessing the upcoming Draft and Needs of those in front of us

Ricky Spanish

Currently, we hold the 8th overall pick in the draft. Many are bummed, myself included, but there is some hope for those that want to take a QB with our pick. There are potentially 5 first round QBs that could be taken at any point (Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones) and a few more fringe guys that many seem to like (Trask, Riddle). So chances are there will be a QB to draft when our pick comes up at 8. The real question becomes, is the guy available the guy we actually want? Below is the draft order for the top 15 picks that I have color coded and defined the following ways:

• Good Guys = Blue
  • Yellow = Will undoubtedly draft a QB
  • Red = Threat to draft a QB
  • Green = Potential Trade Up Target

Pick Team Needs
1 Jacksonville Jags QB, OT, CB
2 New York Jets QB, edge rusher, CB
3 Miami Dolphins WR, ILB, Interior OL
4 Atlanta Falcons Edge rusher, DB, QB
5 Cincinnati Bengals OL, edge rusher, CB
6 Philadelphia Eagles Interior O-line, CB, WR
7 Detroit Lions WR, DL, LB, QB?
8 Carolina Panthers QB, OL, CB
9 Denver Broncos CB, edge rusher, QB
10 Dallas Cowboys CB, OL, LB
11 New York Giants Edge rusher, CB, WR
12 San Francisco 49ers CB, OL, QB
13 LA Chargers OL, TE, CB
14 Minnesota Vikings OL, DT, edge rusher
15 New England Patriots QB, DL, WR

Right now, you can say for CERTAIN that only one of the teams in front of us is absolutely going to take a QB (Jacksonville). After that, things get murky.

The rest of the draft hinges on what the Jets do at #2. Does their new staff want a clean slate with a new franchise QB to take the reigns, or do they evaluate Darnold and think they can salvage his career because the other available options aren't as good? If they want a clean slate, then the Jets will pick Either Fields or Wilson with the #2 pick. If they don't, then chaos could truly reign supreme. Hell, they could even trade the pick. Once this domino falls, I think we will have an idea of what the Panthers will be doing. 

If the Jets take a QB with the 2 pick, I could definitely see us calling Miami to try and work a deal. If they balk and Atlanta doesn't take a QB, then I see us calling Cincy and Philly to try and move up a couple of spots to get our guy. 

If the Jets don't take a QB, I think we will be more inclined to stay put and see which of the top QBs falls down to us at 8. The only problem with that is Denver, San Fran, and NE all have a need at QB and could potentially be targeting Miami, Cincy, or Philly themselves in order to take the guy that they like the most. When all is said and done, I think we come out of the first round with a franchise QB. The question is, was he the one at the top of our list?

I can't see the Lions and Falcons moving on From Stafford and Ryan respectfully.  Those team sucked this year but you can't lay fault purely on the QB position.  Both guys put up really respectable numbers.  The Dolphins and Bengals will not draft a QB.  Jags will take Trevor and the Jets are 75/25 to take a QB.  The Eagles are about 50/50.  A worse case scenario has us taking QB#4 at pick 8.  Best case scenario has us taking QB#2 at pick 8.  Play the average and we are looking at QB#3 with the eighth pick.

If a QB is there at 8 (Wilson or Lance) I think you have to pull trigger. I think the combine will have a big impact on Trey’s draft stock. I expect him to have a phenomenal combine.

But if we don’t go QB at 8, it’s exciting to think about adding a couple of guys to a offense that already has CMC, Moore, Anderson and Moton. 

If the Panthers can have a similar draft as to what they had last year but on the offensive side, I think we’re set up quite nicely to make that move for a QB in the 2022 draft. 

A trade up seems to be the only way we gonna get a top 3 QB.  If the dolphins would switch spots for our 2022 first and our 2021 third round pick I would do that.  If it becomes a bidding war and another team starts throwing multiple high picks in im out.  

1. Jags - Sunshine

2. Jets - Wilson

3. Phins - Sewell

4. Falcons - Fields

5. Bengals - Paye

6. Eagles - Chase 

7. Lions - Lance

8.  Panthers - choices parsons, a top corner, a top wr, 2nd tier oline or scrap heap QB.

I say we try and trade up if it's not too expensive but if not take BPA at position of need.  If Samuel leaves we gonna need a wr.  Can't afford to keep moore and robby both.  1st round corners scare me a bit but it's a need. I actually have faith the new regime will do well.

Safford:

image.png.91f52abdaeadafc16616486954bd0ba5.png

Wentz:

image.png.70c1accdbb71cbc63337eeb9e750fa97.png

Ryan:

image.png.24b1c99961e3d668c3502cc3d9ac9cef.png

Darnold:

image.png.db1d1ff48f1698ac5b8ea1ff9bfe2c46.png

-Darnold makes the most sense to get rid of if a team plans on moving on from their current QB.  Stafford would be next, but again he wasn't the reason the Lions sucked this year.  So changing just for the sake of change makes zero sense.

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Vikings could all go QB as well. 

Who knows what Pederson is thinking but Wentz wants out and Hurts may not want to be part of that mess. 

Dak is coming off major injury and wants a major contract. They could just start over instead of opening the checkbook for damaged goods. 

Giants may move on from Gman and his QB. 

Vikings could set up to move on from Cousins. 

There's quite a few teams at play. Realistically, there could be some serious trade offers needed to move up this year just because of how many teams could take a QB with legitimate reasons.

Theres 12 teams in the top 15 that could take a QB if one was sitting there. 

Miami's slot is worth our first and two seconds in a reasonable world.  However, Miami already has more draft capital this year than any other team.  There just isn't much incentive for them, meaning it would cost us more than what would otherwise be considered reasonable.

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Vikings could all go QB as well. 

Who knows what Pederson is thinking but Wentz wants out and Hurts may not want to be part of that mess. 

Dak is coming off major injury and wants a major contract. They could just start over instead of opening the checkbook for damaged goods. 

Giants may move on from Gman and his QB. 

Vikings could set up to move on from Cousins. 

There's quite a few teams at play. Realistically, there could be some serious trade offers needed to move up this year just because of how many teams could take a QB with legitimate reasons.

Pederson was kicking the tires with Hurts and he may be back peddling now.  In the mean time he got Wentz all butt-hurt.  There's no way some team will trade for Wentz with that monster contract and he's too expensive to cut.  Pederson had better patch things up with Wentz quickly and go from there.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Pederson was kicking the tires with Hurts and he may be back peddling now.  In the mean time he got Wentz all butt-hurt.  There's no way some team will trade for Wentz with that monster contract and he's too expensive to cut.  Pederson had better patch things up with Wentz quickly and go from there.

It's actually more likely that Philly moves on from Doug Pederson to bring in someone who thinks they can salvage Wentz.

Archived