• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 1st round draft mini breakdown

Verge

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

Wilson is the next Manziel. dude is cocky as poo.

I would say he is more Baker than Manziel, Zach ain't doing any coke or drinking.

I'm hoping Wilson can drop the snobby brat from rich family persona like Clausen and maybe hone it into a Rodgers type cockiness with results to back it. People forget sometimes what an asshole Rodgers is.

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

I would say he is more Baker than Manziel, Zach ain't doing any coke or drinking.

I'm hoping Wilson can drop the snobby brat from rich family persona like Clausen and maybe hone it into a Rodgers type cockiness with results to back it. People forget sometimes what an asshole Rodgers is.

We don’t even know if Wilson actually is a snobby brat. That came out of nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

We don’t even know if Wilson actually is a snobby brat. That came out of nowhere. 

Whenever I hear about coming from a rich family, snooty parents, I think Clausen. He's from my hometown.

Zach comes from a rich family and apparently his parents are a pain in the ass. I'm sure there is some truth to it but he seems like a guy that is capable of being his own man.

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

Fields is shorter but weighs more than Lance. As far as talent gap though... OSU doesn’t win the National Championship every year but NDSU basically does. They are far more talented than everyone they play even in the championship games. 

I have a feeling these QB breakdowns are going to intentionally exclude Lance’s 2020 game. 

Why would any professional worth their salt do that? It's not really very analytical to exclude a game, or overblow it when juxtaposed against an entire season. I mean, you want to put it into context like any game. But I seriously doubt that scouts are going to exclude a game to play favorites. 

1. Not sure who you were watching if you had concerns watching Fields deep ball in the Championship game.  Dude was putting it on the money and you clearly must have been watching Lawerence who struggled in that game.

2. "Lance is Bigger"

Lance is 6'4 226

https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/trey-lance/8970

Fields is 6'3 228

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/justin-fields/

And ive heard direct quote from a fww scouts, a person who works in a NFL FO, and have read from a few others with actual connections in the scouting comminty comparing a lot of Fields to Mahomes coming out of Texas Tech FWIW

Itll be him or Wilson at 2 and it wouldn't shock me one bit to see Atlanta pull a Chicago style trade 1 spot to 3 if Fields falls

Edited by ncfan

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Why would any professional worth their salt do that? It's not really very analytical to exclude a game, or overblow it when juxtaposed against an entire season. I mean, you want to put it into context like any game. But I seriously doubt that scouts are going to exclude a game to play favorites. 

I wasn’t talking about draft experts, I was talking about this forum. 

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brady has three upcoming HC interviews. He may not be part of this evaluation process and our offense could potentially look different next year.

I knew he had 1.  Jeez.  31 years old.   Still, when I talk about Brady's "type" I guess I am referring to his systems "type."  But I was not counting on him leaving.

Edited by MHS831

58 minutes ago, Verge said:

I tell you all every year 

Tape >>> Stats. 

I'll get into the whole Fields vs Lance/Wilson thing later. Just know that Fields game against Clemson certainly helped him a lot, but you should go back and watch his two previous game as well a spay attention to where his deep balls land against Clemson with keeping in mind in the NFL DBs are going to drape receivers and your QB is going to have under 3 seconds to throw.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Specifically what are your reservations with Fields? For me it's consistency. It seems like when he's fully in, he's as good or better than anyone but it also seems to me like there's too many games where he just shows up and goes through the motions. 

But watching him shred Venables and that Clemson D... I mean fug...

I think the world of Venables. Honestly there aren't a ton of NFL DCs I'd take over him.

From what I've read a lot of the concern over Fields is his ability if his first read is covered.  If you are asking him to drop back and make a throw to his first receiver he is as good as anyone in the draft, including Trevor, his problems show up after that. 

Also I've read that he tends to hold on to the ball longer when pressured, whereas other QBs speed up their decision making.  Sometimes that can be the case when the QB is a great athlete they trust themselves to be able to extend the play.

Do you find these two concerns valid?

Either way I think his positives (athletic ability and arm talent)are so great that some team is going to draft him early and think they can fixf any perceived negatives, and they might be right.

Edited by AU-panther
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

From what I've read a lot of the concern over Fields is his ability if his first read is covered.  If you are asking him to drop back and make a throw to his first receiver he is as good as anyone in the draft, including Trevor, his problems show up after that. 

Also I've read that he tends to hold on to the ball longer when pressured, whereas other QBs speed up their decision making.  Sometimes that can be the case when the QB is a great athlete they trust themselves to be able to extend the play.

Do you find these two concerns valid?

On the surface, yeah that's concerning. But honestly I'm not familiar enough with their offense to comment beyond that. For all I know, they like to counter pressure like Shula did with with extra blockers and deep routes. They did quite a bit of that against Clemson.