• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 1st round draft mini breakdown

Verge

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is not slowing down

1 throw and there are plenty where WRs have had to slow down (and im a UNC fan)

Especially if he rifled one 60+ yards through the air.

You litterally picked one throw out of the whole game from Fields to try to prove that WRs had to slow down and it traveled over half the field.  But found one clip of Howell 

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Verge said:

I think the "character issue" thing is extremely overblown with Wilson. His teammates would die for him and his growth has proven he works hard day in and day out. Comparisons to Manziel are lazy and I am not sure what they are based on at all. Not to mention Wilson is a much better prospect that Manziel was coming out. 

You aren’t concerned about his level of competition?
BYUs schedule was poor this year 

10 minutes ago, ncfan said:

1 throw and there are plenty where WRs have had to slow down (and im a UNC fan)

Especially if he rifled one 60+ yards through the air.

You litterally picked one throw out of the whole game from Fields to try to prove that WRs had to slow down and it traveled over half the field.  But found one clip of Howell 

It wasn't just one throw. I'm not trying to "prove" anything. You fell in love and now you're being emotional.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It wasn't just one throw. I'm not trying to "prove" anything. You fell in love and now you're being emotional.

Actually have liked himwell beyond this past game

He11 have liked him since before this season.  No emotional decision here

26 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Really Really 

If you call that slowing up, id  Love for you to show me some QBs->Wrs where they didn't  "slow up"

2:21 - WR slows down and adjust to the ball on beat coverage

6:09 - WR slows down, CB almost catches back up on beat coverage; 6:20 clearly shows this. QB put the CB back in the play with that throw.

7:59 - WR slows down, CB CB almost catches back up on beat coverage; 8:10 Clearly shows this. QB put the CB back in the play with that throw.

I would take him as a QB with one leg over what we have now but he isn't perfect and this video shows the pattern mention by Verge and LG. It's nit-picky but it's there and showed up on every deep throw in this video. His WRs were way ahead of coverage and he put the CBs back in the play. 

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

2:21 - WR slows down and adjust to the ball on beat coverage

6:09 - WR slows down, CB almost catches back up on beat coverage; 6:20 clearly shows this. QB put the CB back in the play with that throw.

7:59 - WR slows down, CB CB almost catches back up on beat coverage; 8:10 Clearly shows this. QB put the CB back in the play with that throw.

I would take him as a QB with one leg over what we have now but he isn't perfect and this video shows the pattern mention by Verge and LG. It's nit-picky but it's there and showed up on every deep throw in this video. His WRs were way ahead of coverage and he put the CBs back in the play. 

None of those throws you listed but 1, the WRs had to adjust.   If you nit pick that much, there are less than a handful Total throws in the NFL a year where the WRs dont have to adjust in your eyes

@Verge always love to hear your opinions.  Keep em coming

Would really like to hear your opinion on who can play left tackle in this draft.  I'm hoping our new GM will keep Moton, and we can finally solve our LT problem in the second after getting our QB in the first, although getting that QB might mean we don't have a second rounder this year.

In particular, I see several site listing some OTs as IOL in the draft, including Jackson Carmen of Clemson and Vera-Tucker of USC.  Others who play LT are seen as better fits as RT in the NFL, which we may also need.

Whenever you get around to that position group, we'd all love to hear your opinion.  You are one of the most respected posters on the Huddle.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, ncfan said:

None of those throws you listed but 1, the WRs had to adjust.   If you nit pick that much, there are less than a handful Total throws in the NFL a year where the WRs dont have to adjust in your eyes

You can be in love and still admit there are aspects that fall short of perfection. It's not like the throws were awful. The receivers didn't have to stop. But he wasn't hitting those guys in stride and like Waldo stated, that brought the CB back into play and gave them an opportunity to potentially break it up. If you can't see the difference between that and the Howell deep balls, I don't know what to tell you. Yeah, it's nit picking but you want to nit pick on top 10 draft picks. Not throwing as good of a deep ball has Howell isn't exactly a knock. Whether it's college or NFL, there isn't a long list of better deep ball throwers than that guy.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, ncfan said:

His WRs were beating those CBs like a drum on those 3 throws and for 2 he put the CB back in the play with his throws. It's weird that he had them over the top all day and the throws were just behind the WRs creating the adjustments. Nit-picking is what I thought was being discussed and what a big part of the draft process is, usually followed by debate like this.

Adjusting is what WRs do and some times that is to 'slow up' which is what these 3 examples show. The WRs are smooth, watch the CB keep speed and get back into each of those throws. IDK if that's even the pattern they were talking about, this was just me looking at a video of a game I didn't watch with a player we are interested in. 

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

One other point I want to make.  While we all tend to stat-evaluate guys we haven't seen much of, don't get too caught up with that from Lance.  The system at NDSU is more run based.  And the coaches called a lot of designed QB runs.  His running numbers and lack of big passing games was more a reflection of his offense than his ablility to generate big plays in the passing game.  Based on what I have seen from him, if he was put in a high volume passing offense like a lot of these other top QB's, he'd have put up big numbers as well.

I told them the other day: don't confuse didn't throw to can't throw. That's not what I've seen of Lance. I think that he can make all the throws and that it's just a matter of being coached up and learning from experience! I think any kid can bust given the wrong circumstances, but I believe Lance has the mindset, arm and mobility to be something special. 

4 hours ago, chknwing said:

Wilson is the next Manziel. dude is cocky as poo.

I see more Baker Mayfield than Manziel, personally. I also think the 6'3" is inflated, though I have seen a pic of him beside Brees and Wilson is taller by a couple of inches.

I like Lance and think some of the comps to Cunningham and Watson are solid examples. After the combine, I think lots of folks are going to be all over Lance. TL won't compete, Fields might be hurt and Wilson might underperform. Lance has the measurables and SPARC potential to reel a lot of folks in. 

Lawrence

Fields

Wilson

Lance

Sewell

Parsons

Farley

Surtain II

Slater

Chase

Smith

We won't get TL, but lots of names to drool over. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Varking said:

Justin Fields shredded Clemson on a national stage for 6 touchdown passes and 385 passing yards. Trey Lance has never thrown for 385 yards in a game. Trey Lance has 5 passing touchdowns total in his last 4 games. I’m going to need to hear the reasoning behind ranking Lance above him. 

Yeah that one is from an episode of the x files.

Edited by Shocker