• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 1st round draft mini breakdown

Verge

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

True, 

But I dont see the Jets Not taking a QB.  Think Wilson goes here.

Falcons is interesting, but do the Lions want to take that Chance if they are really sold on Fields or Lance?

They have No One right now so QB is 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority for them.

They stay put and we jump them, its a risk they swing and miss on a QB after they just traded away theor QB and have the ammo to move for him.  Would be a bad 1st look for a new regime

Yes, but don't rule out a FA for them.  A new regime is under pressure to win ASAP.  So do you take an unproven rookie QB or make a trade with a mid-tier guy?  I get it, the Panthers struck out, but don't expect us to be the primary case study on FA QB futility.  Remember, Stafford gave up on the Lions, not the other way around.  Also, there is a remote possibility that Lions and a new team for Stafford can't come to terms.  Does Stafford sit out?  Highly unlikely.  His request is just that, a request,  unlike Wentz and Waton would seemingly have toxic relationships with their organizations.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We whooped that WFT!

Eh, we were out of the TL sweepstakes after the second win.  Jax will not move out that spot unless someone offers king' ransom.  I don't see that much separation in the next three QBs.  Yes, beating the 'no-names' might cost us some draft capital to get our guy, but not all that much.  It's not even close to the compensation the Texans are reportedly demanding for Watson that people are seemly okay parting with.

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Eh, we were out of the TL sweepstakes after the second win.  Jax will not move out that spot unless someone offers king' ransom.  I don't see that much separation in the next three QBs.  Yes, beating the 'no-names' might cost us some draft capital to get our guy, but not all that much.  It's not even close to the compensation the Texans are reportedly demanding for Watson that people are seemly okay parting with.

No, I wrote off Trevor Lawrence when I saw the Jags and Jets' rosters.  I really cannot decide if I like any of the next 3 QBs in relation to what it will take to get them.  Imagine this:

Would you give up Burns, Chinn, and Brown for Wilson?   That is what 2 #1s and a #2 looks like.  We do not think of it that way.  It is why you need to build the team first.  If you lose the picks, you do not build the team for 2 years, and when the QB wants $35m, you have major needs.

I do not think we move up for a QB for this reason.  We are long term, whatever that means.  But if I am doing it, I know this--I have Bridgewater and I can make him better if I add a LT, G, TE, and defense.  I know I have PJ, and I know that I can trade back, add picks, and maybe find the gem of the draft (Russell Wilson, eg) to groom for a season.  Is that why we are pumped about the SR Bowl?  will that give us an advantage looking at the seniors who may not be day 1 picks?

Would it be smarter to trade back and take a LT in round 1, then take Jones or Trask and HOPE Brady will develop him like he did Burrow?  Is the difference between Jones and Lance worth a Burns and a Chinn?

This will be the most interesting draft I have witnessed.  I know that I will be pissed and then warm to the logic---that is what I do.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

No, I wrote off Trevor Lawrence when I saw the Jags and Jets' rosters.  I really cannot decide if I like any of the next 3 QBs in relation to what it will take to get them.  Imagine this:

Would you give up Burns, Chinn, and Brown for Wilson?   That is what 2 #1s and a #2 looks like.  We do not think of it that way.  It is why you need to build the team first.  If you lose the picks, you do not build the team for 2 years, and when the QB wants $35m, you have major needs.

I do not think we move up for a QB for this reason.  We are long term, whatever that means.  But if I am doing it, I know this--I have Bridgewater and I can make him better if I add a LT, G, TE, and defense.  I know I have PJ, and I know that I can trade back, add picks, and maybe find the gem of the draft (Russell Wilson, eg) to groom for a season.  Is that why we are pumped about the SR Bowl?  will that give us an advantage looking at the seniors who may not be day 1 picks?

Would it be smarter to trade back and take a LT in round 1, then take Jones or Trask and HOPE Brady will develop him like he did Burrow?  Is the difference between Jones and Lance worth a Burns and a Chinn?

This will be the most interesting draft I have witnessed.  I know that I will be pissed and then warm to the logic---that is what I do.

I'm not sure we have to part ways with anything, because I don't think every team ahead of us is taking a QB.  Sorry to be so curt on your diatribe.

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I'm not sure we have to part ways with anything, because I don't think every team ahead of us is taking a QB.  Sorry to be so curt on your diatribe.

I am in this mindset as well.  4 qbs in 7 picks is unheard of.  Someone will slide.  Even if a team needs (or thinks they need) a qb they may evaluate one of the remaining and not fall in love with them.  They may sign a vet, they may fall in love with Jones and trade down.  I just think we stay at 8 and one maybe 2 drop to us.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am in this mindset as well.  4 qbs in 7 picks is unheard of.  Someone will slide.  Even if a team needs (or thinks they need) a qb they may evaluate one of the remaining and not fall in love with them.  They may sign a vet, they may fall in love with Jones and trade down.  I just think we stay at 8 and one maybe 2 drop to us.

I really disagree. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist but the NYJ are either taking a QB or trading with another team who is going to draft one 

Atlanta just overhauled their entire front office and coaching staff. They're going to want "their guy". Esp if internally they believe they won't be picking this high again in awhile. 

Detroit is now pretty much a guarantee to take a QB. 

So Wilson, Fields, Lane all gone. 

The worst case scenario for the Panthers is the above and we fall in love with Mac fuging Jones and take him at 8

On 1/25/2021 at 8:52 PM, 45catfan said:

No diatribe intended, and I do not see where anyone could have interpreted an analysis of the QB scenarios to be one.