• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson unhappy in Houston?

FuFuLamePoo

57 minutes ago, t96 said:

Easterby is a bigger problem there than O'Brien ever was

Caserio getting the GM gig probably means he's safe, arguably even more powerful.

For what it's worth, there's chatter that Easterby is pushing for Joe Brady but I don't know whether to take it seriously or not.

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am probably the only one here that thinks Brady to Houston would be a Colossal failure on the Texans part.  He is way too green for a head coaching gig

TOTALLY agree.  Not sure what Brady has done or shown to tell teams that hes capable of running an entire locker room full of NFL players.  Amazing talent, but just too green to be an NFL head coach right now.  

Everybody is looking for the next McVay or Shannahan these days.

45 minutes ago, slumdogmillionaire said:

My bar is next to stadium so coaches and staff come in.  The ones that aren’t coaches but talk after lot of drinks have been talking about Watson being our plan A B and C for the off-season.  When we complained about them winning against Washington the two guys said it won’t be our pick anyways it will be Houston’s.  Not sure if our offer will be good enough for the new GM but we are going to make an attractive package for Watson.

I have a hard time believing Panther employees are going to bars and getting drunk during this pandemic given the precautions they are taking to keep the team healthy. Especially anyone who would know anything about blockbuster trades 6 months in advance.

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Watson is completely untradable for the Texans even if they deeply regret signing him and would love to trade him (which is highly unlikely). They'd have to eat $67M in dead cap next year to trade him. If the salary cap stays flat, that would be nearly 40% of their cap space tied up in a player no longer on the roster. Meanwhile, they're already nearly $18M in the hole for next year, so they'd have to free up $85M in cap to trade Watson. 

I have got to learn more about how the cap works. In a world that probably doesn't exist where we did trade for Watson, wouldn't we simply inherit his contract? I thought that was why some teams wanted to trade players, to get their contracts off the books? 

2 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I have got to learn more about how the cap works. In a world that probably doesn't exist where we did trade for Watson, wouldn't we simply inherit his contract? I thought that was why some teams wanted to trade players, to get their contracts off the books? 

In terms of salary cap impact, a trade is essentially the same as releasing a player. If a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money will accelerate into the next season. For some teams, that takes certain players off the table if their signing bonuses and other prorated bonuses are large. In general, if a player's dead money charge in a given year will prevent him from being released the following year, it will also prevent him from being traded during the given season.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

In terms of salary cap impact, a trade is essentially the same as releasing a player. If a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money will accelerate into the next season. For some teams, that takes certain players off the table if their signing bonuses and other prorated bonuses are large. In general, if a player's dead money charge in a given year will prevent him from being released the following year, it will also prevent him from being traded during the given season.

Man, I never knew this. But yeah that totally takes a Watson trade off the table, which it probably already was anyways lol

21 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

You can't trade away the cap implications of signing bonuses. They have already been paid so they are spread over the years of the contract. If you trade the player then the remaining prorated bonus hits you all at once. So if the bonus is 100 million and you trade after one season then the 75 million hits all at once. The only part that goes to the trade partner is the yearly salary.

55 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Stepping back, talent wise--yes, I get it.  But cap wise, we are building a program and killing off dead cap $$ and bringing in a cap friendly QB for 4 years (3 if you count Teddy's last year, 2021)--helps build a base. 

But building a base is meaningless without a guy who is capable at the most important position on the roster.

Archived