• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Panthers will prioritize re-signing Taylor Moton over Curtis Samuel

TheSpecialJuan

Man I get the logic but Curtis is going to be something special. This offense would explode with any truly capable QB. 

Perhaps with CMC back it’s too many balls to go around. But you don’t always draft and groom talent just for them to sign elsewhere. 

Think outside the box, folks....Marty is gone....the first thing I would do is check out existing contracts.   What if I told you that we could keep Samuel and Moton? 

We could rework some contracts to extend a few players and give them less money for 2021--for example Anderson, who has a $12m cap number.   Extend him 3 years, and make 2021 a low number.  Then you could pay him a large amount in 2022--because you cut Paradis after June 1, and keep that $10m in the cap bank to pay Anderson in 2022 and 2023.  So you get the money from Anderson, giving you cap room to sign Samuel.  You then wait until June 1, cut Paradis.  Basically you are keeping Samuel and cutting Paradis post june 1.

13 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

- Already have heavy investment at WR spot plus C-Mac coming back

- Kawann Short and Stephen Weatherly will get their asses cut (direct quote too!)

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-notes-buccaneers-panthers-saints-37/

Terrible signing and Short should have been gone pre-2020. Waste of $20M for no reason. Would have covered Samuel for 2.5 years.

Cutting Paradis would not help .  I think our backup (Larson) is a free agent so what do you do . Drafting a rookie gives us a new backup with no NFL experience . Keep Paradis one more year and draft a O-lineman that can do dual duty letting him get adjusted to the NFL .  If we can extend Anderson as mentioned , we have a chance to keep Samuel .  He balled out this season .You don't develop players to allow another team to pick them up .  

13 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

taking a quick look at Over The Cap, it looks like if we did all of those cuts, we'd have around 39 mill in cap space.  If Moton does cost 15, and I think it will be less, and actually had a first year cap hit of that 15 mill, we're looking at around 24 mill in cap space.  Rookies will take about 7 mill of that, leaving 14 million to fill a hell of a lot of holes.  If we work things out with Moton, we could maybe see a first year cap hit 11 mil, giving us around 18 mill to spend, unless other contracts are restructured.

Perhaps with the 17th game added, the cap will be a little higher than expected.

We really need to hit on another draft this year.  

Get ready for another year Of FA no body really wants but we'll have to hope for the best.

Archived