• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person this morning: Rhule looking more likely to coach Senior Bowl, and Brady's best chance to end up is in

Captain Morgan

Atlanta.

"So much for an offseason for Matt Rhule. Less than a week after the Panthers’ season ended with a thunk against New Orleans, Rhule already has lost two offensive assistants and has his offensive coordinator interviewing for head-coaching jobs.

Oh, and it’s looking more and more likely that Rhule and his staff will be coaching in the Senior Bowl this month, provided of course that he doesn’t lose said offensive coordinator."

"Brady, who just wrapped up his first year as a full-time play-caller at any level, has completed his three interviews with the Texans, Falcons and Chargers. Industry sources think Brady’s best shot is in Atlanta, which has interviewed Saints assistant general manager of pro personnel Terry Fontenot for their GM opening. Brady and Fontenot worked together in New Orleans when Brady was an offensive assistant for Sean Payton. "

It's the Athletic, so there's a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/2309744/2021/01/08/panthers-offseason-joe-brady-gm/

Senior bowl would be a great way to work with prospects.

I'm torn on Brady. I'm curious on what we would do of he left and what could change along with that move. How would that one move effect the draft, offensive direction and options at QB?

Just now, mccjeff said:

Still think his, at least perceived, lack of solid coaching connections to fill out a staff will severely hamper his hiring this cycle.

Possible, but there's a good number of fired coaches out there available.

Even if Brady doesn't know them though, Fontenot might. Heck, Fontenot and Brady might even be able to use connections through Sean Payton to reach out to some people.

If he’s going to crash and burn (highly likely with his robust experience), Atlanta seems like a great place to do it. Need to get under the cap, so basically rebuilding a team goes very well with an inexperienced coach. Maybe it’ll work out like it did for Goldie Hawn but me thinks not.

9 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Brady will still be here next year, then if our new QB does well and is actually able to utilize the plethora of weapons we have our offense will be great. Then Brady might get a HC the next season. 

Better to rip off the band-aid now and have whoever our new OC is working with our rookie QB from the start. Just my opinion, tho.

2 minutes ago, Kuhndog94 said:

Better to rip off the band-aid now and have whoever our new OC is working with our rookie QB from the start. Just my opinion, tho.

My only hope is that Rhule doesn’t do it the nepotistic, lazy, Rivera way and just promote a QB coach or something that has no idea how to scheme or call an offense. And eats glue. 

So if Brady were to take a HC position somewhere else who would we target? 

Three intriguing names for me:  Tony Elliot (OC, Clemson), Mike Kafka (QB Coach, KC), Graham Harrell (OC, USC...runs a version of Leach's air raid system)

I'm not familiar enough with the level below NFL OCs so there may be more attractive options?!

2 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

So if Brady were to take a HC position somewhere else who would we target? 

Three intriguing names for me:  Tony Elliot (OC, Clemson), Mike Kafka (QB Coach, KC), Graham Harrell (OC, USC...runs a version of Leach's air raid system)

I'm not familiar enough with the level below NFL OCs so there may be more attractive options?!

General belief is that RB Coach Jeff Nixon gets promoted and we backfill his spot.

Might have to look outside for a QB Coach, maybe Sean Ryan.

Archived