• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would it take to trade up from 8 to 5?

NAS

Since Lawrence and Field will be presumably gone in the first 5 picks,  and the cost of trading up to pick 2 or 3 is too steep,  I think our best opportunity to trade up is with the Bengals at #5.  They have a franchise QB in Joe Burrow, but  I think Eagles will be drafting a QB at 6 and wouldn't want to take the chance of losing Lance or whoever is the third best QB.  There is also an outside chance that Jets or Falcons don't draft a QB and we end up with the second best QB - Fields.

So what would it take?  I think Bengals need a WR with AJ Green presumably gone.  I would give them Curtis Samuel, our #8 pick, and our 2nd round pick.  I think their top need is Offensive Line and there is plenty to choose from at #8.   

If Fields gets past NYJ then you call cincy up and start working on this and you don't worry about whether it's necessary or not

a jump from 8 to 3 is very much in the cards though, I guarantee you tepper is aware that a top 5 QB pick just annihilated his favorite team in the playoffs

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Per the draft pick value chart?

Something along the lines of #8 plus our 3rd and 4th or #8 plus our 3rd and next year's 3rd.

Getting to #3 would be more like #8 plus our 3rd and next year's 1st.

Draft pick value chart is very different for trading up to get a QB.  This would be a steal if we could pull it off.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Per the draft pick value chart?

Something along the lines of #8 plus our 3rd and 4th or #8 plus our 3rd and next year's 3rd.

Getting to #3 would be more like #8 plus our 3rd and next year's 1st.

Thats it?! Wow....we need to close that deal before the draft. 

39 minutes ago, NAS said:

Draft pick value chart is very different for trading up to get a QB.  This would be a steal if we could pull it off.

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not necessarily. It's dependent on the market. If multiple teams are vying for the pick then that will naturally drive the value up.

You are both kind of right, usually if a QB is involved there is more demand. 

Either way, my best guess, going to 5 will probably take a 2nd.  Going to 3 will take at least our 1st and 2nd this year and 1st next plus a player or another pick. Maybe next years second. 

Both would definitely be a premium over the chart. 

6 minutes ago, TSLA said:

I’d be pretty mad if we were to trade up in April unless it’s to the 3rd pick and both Fields and Wilson are still there for us to choose. With Tepper and Rhule being such big “analytic” guys, what made them believe that it was best for us to beat a terrible Washington team in week 16? I’m sure the analytics say that it was best for this team to lose and ended up with the 4-5 pick than winning and having to trade future assets to trade up to a pick we could’ve had. 

FFS stop with all the tank talk.  Do you know why there is such an upheaval going on in Philly right now?  The players basically (*&$@ing revolted over the tank job up there.  You go out there to win games, period, unless your coach is a lame duck, and even then, tank at your own risk.

Back on topic . . . 

Getting Cincy out of that pick at five depends on what happens ahead of them.  Cincy is the first team that doesn't have a good argument for drafting a QB.  I suspect their target is Sewell, so the real question is the first four picks. 

Let's assume for the sake of this argument that when the draft rolls around Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance are all considered first round worthy prospects.  We don't know yet, but I think we all suspect this to be true.  I don't see any way Jones or Trask elevate themselves to the first round.  Let's further assume that both the Jets and Jags are taking a QB.  It really doesn't matter who, two of your top four are basically out of play.

This leaves us basically evaluating picks 3 to 7, with two potential franchise guys on the board.

The Dolphins at 3 just don't need more picks.  They are loaded with draft slots and getting them out of that slot will be tough.  There are some rumblings that they aren't sold on Tua.  Nevertheless, I suspect that from what I've read coming out of Miami they won't go QB.  But at 3, they have their choice of every non-QB prospect.  Sewell?  Chase?  Both would help them.  Even if Tua ends up on the fish pile, both of those guys would be great for any future QB.

In Atlanta, Matt Ryan is going to be 36 before the next season starts.  They have to go QB.  It's unlikely they will get a pick this high again, nor have such a deep class of prospects when they do.  They bring in a guy, Aaron Rodgers him until Ryan becomes cut-able and then turn over the franchise to the new guy.  So, one top prospect left.

So, Cincy is now sitting there on the clock, and their thinking is exactly the same as Miami.  Either Sewell or Chase will help them, and whichever is still there is the pick.  They've got their guy in Burrow, they just need pieces around him.  And every single team that needs a QB is calling.  Every.  Single.  One.  That pick is going to cost WAY more than what any value chart says it should. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn into this year's first, this year's second and next year's second.

Archived