• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers also interviewed Omar Khan

Mr. Scot

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He was actually the Assistant Director of College Scouting in 2015 (promoted the prior year) and was elevated to director in 2016 before moving to the 49ers in 2017.

He's credited with having helped scout 27 different players that took part in Super Bowl 50, including guys like Von Miller.

I've seen lots of speculation that he's the "true GM" in San Francisco. Lynch is primarily a CEO type, not a talent evaluator.

49er fans are freaking out at the thought of losing him, including several who would like to see him named GM and Lynch either pushed out or promoted to something else.

This is good information, how did you find that he was responsible for 27 players? Ive been reading articles on the guy all morning and a little last night but nothing pointing to a specific numbers of players.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

This is good information, how did you find that he was responsible for 27 players? Ive been reading articles on the guy all morning and a little last night but nothing pointing to a specific numbers of players.

It's in his team bio.

Don't know if you have an Athletic subscription but there's a great profile of him there.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Im a huge Wiki guy

Wikipedia is sometimes a good place to find employment history and links to profile articles, but it's way more useful for looking up coaches than it is front office people.

You won't find Wikipedia articles on a single one of our three remaining candidates. Heck, there weren't many for our larger group of candidates either. Jeff Ireland might be the only one I can remember. Omar Khan might have one but I didn't look him up.

Hell, even some team sites don't have much. The Seahawks and Patriots tend to be spare on their info (Fitterer's name and title are on the Seahawks site, and not much else). Likewise, Monti Ossenfort has a bio page on the Titans website but it's completely empty.

22 hours ago, Bama Panther said:

They took “so long” because you don’t come into a situation and blow things up just to blow things up. You get a sense of the organization. You get a sense of what is in place. You get a sense of what can be added value. You do those things and make small changes over time. 

I’ve been in the military for over 20 years. One thing I can tell you from my experience is this: an effective leader does not go in and blow things up when he first gets there. In fact, an effective leader very rarely blows the whole thing at a singular time. He/she is taught to make decisions using the OODA loop (observe-orient-decide-act). Notice act comes last. Observing and orienting take time to do correctly. This is also a process full of feedback at every step, which allows a leader to change or tweak the course of action. 

I have no issue at all with the methodical manner in which Tepper has changed this organization: business side first, coaching second, and now GM. No issues whatsoever. It is the exact opposite mentality of the “give me what I want and give it to me now” mentality of many in this board, and it is a mentality that can lead to great things. 

You cannot compare these two situations.  How much time and resources does the military give you before moving/promoting you to another job to research and breakdown said position?

In this case, Tepper was buying a business.  He has the money, time, and employees to dig into every nook and cranny of the Panthers organization, top to bottom to evaluate the processes, people, valuations, etc....he could have run a forensic audit of the entire team/business/company...and probably did.

Either he and his team did this research and came away with the notion that Ron and Marty needed to stay in their positions...or he didn't take the time to evaluate those positions and their history.

Either way, the outcome was less than desirable.

6 hours ago, thefuzz said:

You cannot compare these two situations.  How much time and resources does the military give you before moving/promoting you to another job to research and breakdown said position?

In this case, Tepper was buying a business.  He has the money, time, and employees to dig into every nook and cranny of the Panthers organization, top to bottom to evaluate the processes, people, valuations, etc....he could have run a forensic audit of the entire team/business/company...and probably did.

Either he and his team did this research and came away with the notion that Ron and Marty needed to stay in their positions...or he didn't take the time to evaluate those positions and their history.

Either way, the outcome was less than desirable.

Well, I have moved, thereby necessitating a job change, six times since 2008 (average of every two years, which is normal in my career field). When a military member takes command, he/she is normally in that role for two years only. Although the jobs I have held build off of previous jobs, a new unit always has unique aspects and personnel for which one must account. 

Tepper buying a business does nothing to change the length of time his decisions take to make. He was methodical and worked his way through different layers of the organization by year. The Panthers are now in the third full year of Tepper ownership, and he has completely remade the team (business side, coaching, and now GM).

I personally don’t see what was “less than desirable” about that. 

17 hours ago, Bama Panther said:

Well, I have moved, thereby necessitating a job change, six times since 2008 (average of every two years, which is normal in my career field). When a military member takes command, he/she is normally in that role for two years only. Although the jobs I have held build off of previous jobs, a new unit always has unique aspects and personnel for which one must account. 

Tepper buying a business does nothing to change the length of time his decisions take to make. He was methodical and worked his way through different layers of the organization by year. The Panthers are now in the third full year of Tepper ownership, and he has completely remade the team (business side, coaching, and now GM).

I personally don’t see what was “less than desirable” about that. 

Have you looked at the record?

Have you looked at the cap position relative to wins?

Sounds like you are A OK with all the moves so far...good for you.  I'm not.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Have you looked at the record?

Have you looked at the cap position relative to wins?

Sounds like you are A OK with all the moves so far...good for you.  I'm not.

Not relevant to what was being discussed. My post, which you originally quoted, concerned a complaint about the length of time Tepper has made to make these decisions. It did not concern whether the moves made were good or whether I was okay with them. It concerned only my perception that there is no problem with the timeline on which Tepper has been working.

Archived