• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking outside the realm

Beerfacedlegend

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

1.  There are no QB's entering FA this year that we can afford and/or worth a crap.  Rivers, Brissett and Prescott are out of our price range.  Trubisky, Fitzmagic and Tyrod Taylor don't excite anyone.

2.  We don't need a WR.  We need to keep the ones we have which are much better than your average NFL receiver.

3.  If we aren't drafting a QB at the top of the draft, we have like 10-12 needs more pressing than WR.  Like any position on the O Line, Mike LB, CB, TE . . . 

It’s early , you don’t know if Stafford , wentz , Ryan get cut

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

1.  There are no QB's entering FA this year that we can afford and/or worth a crap.  Rivers, Brissett and Prescott are out of our price range.  Trubisky, Fitzmagic and Tyrod Taylor don't excite anyone.

2.  We don't need a WR.  We need to keep the ones we have which are much better than your average NFL receiver.

3.  If we aren't drafting a QB at the top of the draft, we have like 10-12 needs more pressing than WR.  Like any position on the O Line, Mike LB, CB, TE . . . 

You don’t draft for needs 

15 minutes ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

You don’t draft for needs 

The hell you don't.  You don't reach for needs, but you ABSOLUTELY draft for them.  People get confused about this all the time.  There's a big difference between reaching and drafting.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

The hell you don't.  You don't reach for needs, but you ABSOLUTELY draft for them.  People get confused about this all the time.  There's a big difference between reaching and drafting.

You make a list of players and draft who the best player is and I got smith #2 after Trevor Lawrence 

1 hour ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

You make a list of players and draft who the best player is and I got smith #2 after Trevor Lawrence 

No, you don't.  If you adhere to that philosophy, known as the unflinching BPA, you will fail.  Here's an easy example.

You are the unflinching BPA team.  You have, let's say Josh Allen as your starting QB.  You somehow have the first pick in this draft.  According to unflinching BPA philosophy, you must draft Trevor Lawrence.  Doesn't matter that you already have a CLEAR franchise QB.  You draft the BPA, who happens to be a QB.

This is not a winning strategy.  What you are seeking is the place where you choose the BPA of those positions you need to improve.  This is the reason we don't need a WR, and definitely not in round 1.  This is my "need order":  QB, IOL, CB, MLB.  We need to come out of this draft with at least one of each of those.

If you are sitting there at pick 8, you take the highest ranked player on your board who is in one of those positions.  You don't then say the highest rated player still there on our board is a RB, so let's take him.  That's the road to failure.

5 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Ok, then why don’t we get someone young and promising like Kyle Allen or Heinicke?  Pick either one, don’t want to see Teddy as our QB without anyone waiting to develop.

Heinicke is 27. Neither is promising. 

6 hours ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

Let’s say Wilson does not fall in our laps or let’s say we can get another qb in free agency that makes us not desperate for a qb in the draft  how does everyone feel about devonta mr heisman , mr 3 championship tds smith?

but we don’t need a wr you say right ? What if I told you we are making our biggest strength even better , dj Moore Robby Anderson and devonta smith is dangerous, like Akon said so dangerous.

Building on our strengths can make this team a play off team faster , it makes us have an identity something that we are missing , kind of like the line backing days we don’t need Luke we have Jon Beason I remember hearing that a lot .

devonta smith provides us with a true # 1 receiving ability , which opens up talent around him like dj and Anderson . We can kick curtis to the curb and Re focus that money on defense in free agency .

we can also get a solid qb in the later rounds , of course it’s much riskier because we failed on will Grier but a lot of teams had a vast amount of success find a qb outside round one . 

don’t hate me just throwing this idea out there very unlikely but this is a best player available situation because right now we got our selfs a situation.

Smith, RA and Moore would be nasty.  I'm picking up what ya putting down.  I don't mind a QB this year but I also see the value in setting up the eventual QB for success.  An improved oline and adding weapons say a tight end ( allie-cox from Indy in fa) and a future star like Devonta Smith could make the rookie season a smoother one 

6 hours ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

Let’s say Wilson does not fall in our laps or let’s say we can get another qb in free agency that makes us not desperate for a qb in the draft  how does everyone feel about devonta mr heisman , mr 3 championship tds smith?

but we don’t need a wr you say right ? What if I told you we are making our biggest strength even better , dj Moore Robby Anderson and devonta smith is dangerous, like Akon said so dangerous.

Building on our strengths can make this team a play off team faster , it makes us have an identity something that we are missing , kind of like the line backing days we don’t need Luke we have Jon Beason I remember hearing that a lot .

devonta smith provides us with a true # 1 receiving ability , which opens up talent around him like dj and Anderson . We can kick curtis to the curb and Re focus that money on defense in free agency .

we can also get a solid qb in the later rounds , of course it’s much riskier because we failed on will Grier but a lot of teams had a vast amount of success find a qb outside round one . 

don’t hate me just throwing this idea out there very unlikely but this is a best player available situation because right now we got our selfs a situation.

Smith, RA and Moore would be nasty.  I'm picking up what ya putting down.  I don't mind a QB this year but I also see the value in setting up the eventual QB for success.  An improved oline and adding weapons say a tight end ( allie-cox from Indy in fa) and a future star like Devonta Smith could make the rookie season a smoother one 

4 hours ago, SOJA said:

Trey Lance will probably be available at 8. Here is how I see the draft going 

1 Jax- Lawrence 

2 NYJ- Wilson 

3 MIA via HOU- D. Smith

4 ATL- Fields

5 CIN- Sewell

6 PHI- Chase 

7 DET- Parson

8 CAR- Lance 

Getting Lance at 8 is a reach. In a normal draft without so many QB needy teams, he would be bottom of the first, top of the second type player.  In this scenario, with Parsons gone, give me Surtain or Paye 

Archived