• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads and the ability to join the discussion!

Senator Mitch McConnell is said to believe that the impeachment effort will make it easier to purge President Trump from the party. And Representative Kevin McCarthy has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the Capitol siege. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12/us/impeachment-trump-25th-amendment 

• Pie 1

Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

While Mr. McCarthy has said he is personally opposed to impeachment, he and other party leaders have decided not to formally lobby Republicans to vote “no,” and an aide to Mr. McCarthy said he was open to a measure censuring Mr. Trump for his conduct. In private, Mr. McCarthy reached out to a leading House Democrat to see if the chamber would be willing to pursue a censure vote, though Speaker Nancy Pelosi has ruled it out.

The House is expected to pass the single charge on Wednesday, and a senior administration official said the White House expects about two dozen Republicans to support it. Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the party’s No. 3 in the House, announced on Tuesday that she would be among them.

But the Senate Republican leader has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on from the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for causing Republicans to lose the Senate. Mr. McConnell has not spoken to Mr. Trump since mid-December, when the senator informed the president he would be recognizing Mr. Biden as president-elect after the meeting of the Electoral College.  

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/12/us/impeachment-trump-25th-amendment#mitch-mcconnell-trump-impeachment

Odds are starting to favor conviction 

There's a better than 50-50 chance that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell would vote to convict President Trump in an impeachment trial, sources tell Axios.

What they're saying: "The Senate institutional loyalists are fomenting a counterrevolution" to Trump, said a top Republican close to McConnell.

Why it matters: This would represent one of the most shocking and damning votes in the history of American politics, by the most powerful Republican in Congress.

• McConnell's vote would open the door to the possibility that Trump could be convicted and prohibited from running for president again.

An anti-Trump infection is spreading among Hill Republicans:

• House Republican Conference Chair Liz Cheney of Wyoming — the third-ranking House GOP leader, and a top establishment voice — announcedthat she will vote to impeach Trump.
  • Cheney said of the Capitol mob: "There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution."

The New York Times reported that McConnell "has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him."

• Axios is told McConnell sees this fight as his legacy — defending the Senate and the institution against the verbal attack of the president and the literal attack of his followers
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It truly is sad. If the mob would've gotten a hold of him last week, he would be dead. 

The Republicans only trot him out when they try to deny that they aren't racist and he gladly obliges like a damn fool. :eyeroll::eyeroll::eyeroll:

"Look at my African-American over there!" ~ Donald Trump

• Pie 7
8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I don't think we would get enough republicans to vote for it.  Mcconnell, Burr (since he is leaving), Romney, Snow, Murkowski, Sasse.  Not sure who else would do it.  

Collins for sure, Toomey is basically on record saying he'd remove trump. Grassley, Thune & Barasso are a highly probable(If McConnell votes yes). If the vote takes place Friday or after they need 17(18) republicans. I'd put Rubio & Blunt on the yes vote side so they'd need 5 more(Not sure who this Snow is? typo?), Cotton is a toss-up since he's got presidential aspiration that would be blocked by trump running again. Cornyn is safe for another full term which may influence his decision. Ernst is also safe but i'm not sure if she breaks with trump or not.

The other question is if there is 17-18 senators that vote yes will the rest follow and leave the few out to hang again or will we see a massive divide.

Again though this entire thing hinges on McConnell, if McConnell goes no I doubt they get more than 5 let alone 17.

Edited by Harbingers

One of the things that gets me is the Republican lawmakers making their TV tours asking for "unity" in our country by not impeaching Trump.  It's so disingenuous.  It's very much like Marie Antoinette telling the poor they can eat cake if they can't afford bread.  They are the ones who have to move away from Trump, not the rest of America.

Trump needs to be impeached and barred from any benefits post office.  The entire Trump machine needs to be investigated and disassembled.  I saw Comey on Steven Colbert, and he said he wanted to deny Trump the public air of being on trial in the Capitol Building again.  I get that point, but I think the Trumpers need to see him and all his accomplices answer very publicly for their crimes.

It's also up to the Biden White House to lead us around from there, and begin the process of economic healing (which is going to have the biggest impact on Trumpers) for the entire nation.

• Pie 2
18 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I saw Comey on Steven Colbert, and he said he wanted to deny Trump the public air of being on trial in the Capitol Building again.  I get that point, but I think the Trumpers need to see him and all his accomplices answer very publicly for their crimes.

I get Comey's point too, I haven't heard him on Colbert but i've seen him on other networks. I think its a bit short sighted though, You are right. They need to see their glorious leader being taken down. They need to realize if it happens to him, it will happen to them as they are hearing across their ranks every day now. If they want to try again, I guarantee they will not be forgiven as easily last time. If he isn't impeached they will all just keep thinking the "All is forgiven" moment is coming.