• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

for those that don't like Lance

AU-panther

Here’s the ideal scenario in my eyes.  I know it’s not popular because it involves more Teddy but I’m worried about throwing a rookie qb into this situation with the state of our oline. 

-stand pat at 8 and Lance falls to us

-retain all draft picks and build the oline in rounds 2-4 of this year 

-Start Teddy at qb next year, with Lance as the backup. 
-Teddy will hopefully play well enough and win to retain the job for the majority, if not, all of the season and Lance isn’t rushed into service. Teddy with a retooled offensive line and a healthy CMC performs over expectations and we are a wildcard team with an up and coming defense. 
-Next year we go into the draft with all our picks and our qb1 on the roster. 

worst case is Teddy sucks, and we put a Lance in after eight games. We’re likely picking top 12 again in 2021 and can draft a play maker on either side of the ball. 

5 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Here’s the ideal scenario in my eyes.  I know it’s not popular because it involves more Teddy but I’m worried about throwing a rookie qb into this situation with the state of our oline. 

-stand pat at 8 and Lance falls to us

-retain all draft picks and build the oline in rounds 2-4 of this year 

-Start Teddy at qb next year, with Lance as the backup. 
-Teddy will hopefully play well enough and win to retain the job for the majority, if not, all of the season and Lance isn’t rushed into service. Teddy with a retooled offensive line and a healthy CMC performs over expectations and we are a wildcard team with an up and coming defense. 
-Next year we go into the draft with all our picks and our qb1 on the roster. 

worst case is Teddy sucks, and we put a Lance in after eight games. We’re likely picking top 12 again in 2021 and can draft a play maker on either side of the ball. 

Even if we trade up and take Wilson or Fields I expect Teddy to be the starter next year.  I have not problem having the rookie sit a year or a part of a year.

9 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Even if we trade up and take Wilson or Fields I expect Teddy to be the starter next year.  I have not problem having the rookie sit a year or a part of a year.

Yep. I’m on the same page. Im not against the thought of trading up, I’m just hoping the board falls in a way where we can retain our future draft picks. 

Physically Lance is a beast. He could snap Wilson in half and makes him look like an inferior athlete. The question is can Lance play QB at a high level in the NFL mentally speaking. Can he go through his progressions quickly and read the defense? Can he be taught and process information quickly? Can improve his throwing mechanics? He already has a cannon for an arm. He can already run like a monster. He needs attention to detail. He needs a great QB coach and time, and even then who knows.

10 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Physically Lance is a beast. He could snap Wilson in half and makes him look like an inferior athlete. The question is can Lance play QB at a high level in the NFL mentally speaking. Can he go through his progressions quickly and read the defense? Can he be taught and process information quickly? Can improve his throwing mechanics? He already has a cannon for an arm. He can already run like a monster. He needs attention to detail. He needs a great QB coach and time, and even then who knows.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30002738/who-trey-lance-meet-nfl-draft-darling-playing-only-once-fall

Thats a good piece on him, speaks about how detailed he is. 

I just don't see it with Lance.  You are really banking on a huge improvement with him.  Not saying it's impossible because we've seen it before, but he is by far the riskiest of the 1st round QBs.  I, personally, would prefer the team pass and wait for a QB in 2021 if it came down to it.  But I wouldn't be angry if we took him.  He's got an elite skill-set.  He just needs a lot of coaching up.

4 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Trade back, load up on linemen (tackle, guard, center.. all of them). grab a corner, draft Desmond Ridder and have him sit a year behind teddy. 

Moton sign. Samuel walks. paradis gone. Kk gone. Boston gone. And after the next year Teddy, peace. 

I'm leaning this way too.  

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

It’s also why if you are going to rebuild, rebuild. 

you don’t keep the old GM, allow three contracts that were not necessary or bring in a QB1 who all knew was not the answer except  Joe Brady 

gotta be honest, the same guys who brought in Bridgewater are evaluating a new QB1....a bit frightening and whose to say if Brady leaves, it will be the same offense 

still a mystery why that contract wasn’t at least two years with a non compete within the nfc south 

Preach! After watching Marty and Teddy dash our hopes yet again, it hurts. 3rd and 5th comp picks, $81M more cap space to rollover and a top 3 pick, maybe even top pick (we won the tiebreaker with the Jets and Jags). All right in our hands only to squander it away so Marty could try to prove his worth again. Ever since Marty’s drafts became trash in 2009, his record as GM was 40-72, basically alternating 6-10 and 5-11. So glad Rhule is here and here’s to hoping we draft the right QB with the right GM.

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

That was the one Ohio State game that I could catch and he played like dog poo. I think the Alabama defense overwhelmed him at times when the bombs downfield weren't open. I could be wrong, but that's just my feeling on the young man. 

yeah, i caught some of that game as well and he looked bad. Def struggled, but after olave they really dont have any weapons. Panthers would offer him much more to work with. Hes also got a great deep ball, fast af (thinking 4.5-4.55 range), and showed some serious grit vs clemson. I'd love to take him. Either him or wilson would be a dream come true imo. I do think there could be more of a learning curve with fields from that OSU offense, but that's irrelevant really.

5 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Mcshay seems to as well. He and Kiper said fields would benefit from another year and would then come out as "the man." Said he still struggles with reading Ds and going through progressions, which has been talked about for some time. Said it was extremely apparent vs northwestern when Olave didnt play

Kiper also staked his job on Clausen being a great NFL QB. 

You can’t teach physical skills, that’s a God given talent. If he has the right work ethic, he can develop mentally to be a great QB.  I have no reservations about drafting Lance at 8 or even trading up to get him.

6 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Trade back, load up on linemen (tackle, guard, center.. all of them). grab a corner, draft Desmond Ridder and have him sit a year behind teddy. 

Moton sign. Samuel walks. paradis gone. Kk gone. Boston gone. And after the next year Teddy, peace. 

I was interested in Ridder as a backup option as well but someone said in a different thread he’s going back to school next year. 

Archived