• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best of the Rest (Lesser touted QB's in 2021 draft)

SCO96

We all know who the top QB's in the 2021 draft are: Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Trask, and Jones

I found the below article on ESPN and they mentioned several potential sleepers in this year's draft class. I haven't watched "ANY" of these guys play. However, I'm sure a lot of you have.  Trask intrigues me at 8. I'd love to see him ride the bench a year and take over in 2022 or 2023. But, with all of our needs I'm not giving up high draft choices to taking anyone not named Lawrence. I'm cool with drafting an IMPACT CB, MLB, OL, or BPA at another position of need high in the draft and finding a QB to develop behind Teddy. Any thoughts on the guys below?

-----

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/story/_/id/30469546/meet-2021-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-stats-need-know-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-zach-wilson-more#rest

These are the other draftable quarterbacks in the 2021 class, and each could rise during the pre-draft process (listed alphabetically):

87.png&h=110&w=110

Ian Book, Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Book is 30-5 in his career as the starter at Notre Dame, and he has thrown 49 touchdown passes to just nine interceptions over the past two seasons. At 6-foot, Book is undersized, but Kiper ranks him as the No. 9 QB in this class. Book will also be at the Senior Bowl.

251.png&h=110&w=110

Sam Ehlinger, Texas Longhorns: Ehlinger has thrown for 11,436 yards and put up 127 total touchdowns (93 passing, 33 rushing) over 43 starts at Texas since 2017. His dual-threat ability could be enticing for an NFL team. Kiper and McShay both rank him as the No. 10 QB in this class. Ehlinger injured his shoulder in the Valero Alamo Bowl win and missed the second half, though the severity of the injury is unclear. He is on the roster for the Senior Bowl.

8.png&h=110&w=110

Feleipe Franks, Arkansas Razorbacks: A transfer from Florida, Franks broke an ankle in his junior season with the Gators in 2019 and lost his starting job to Kyle Trask. He completed 68.5% of his passes with 17 touchdowns and four picks in his lone season at Arkansas. At 6-foot-6, 230 pounds, Franks has an NFL-ready frame and intriguing skill set, and Kiper thinks he is likely to be a Day 3 pick. The Razorbacks' bowl game against TCU was canceled.

245.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Kellen Mond, Texas A&M Aggies: Mond won 31 games as the starter for the Aggies, trailing only Corey Pullig (33) for most wins by a quarterback in Texas A&M history. His accuracy was a question headed into the season, but he completed 63.3% of his passes and threw just three interceptions as a senior. McShay ranks him as the seventh-best QB in this class. Mond will be at the Senior Bowl as well.

61.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Jamie Newman, Georgia Bulldogs: After throwing 26 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions at Wake Forest in 2019, Newman joined Georgia as a graduate transfer. Before the season kicked off, however, Newman opted out because of COVID-19 concerns, so he didn't play a down for the Bulldogs. The 6-foot-4 Newman is another signal-caller who will be at the Senior Bowl next month.

I forgot to mention that Matt is going to coach at this year's Senior Bowl. Everyone on the above list will be at the there except Feleipe Franks (Arkansas). Carolina should have an advantage coaching and scouting these guys in preparation for the 2021 draft.

4 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

At least the staff can take a look at Newman. All the others are stiffs

Yeah, he would be a great backup project.  Worse case scenario, take him, develop for a year behind Bridgewater--this only if we miss out on a top 5 QB. 

I think a name that should be on this list is Iowa State's Brock Purdy

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brock-purdy/JzGFYkYKOV

52 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I forgot to mention that Matt is going to coach at this year's Senior Bowl. Everyone on the above list will be at the there except Feleipe Franks (Arkansas). Carolina should have an advantage coaching and scouting these guys in preparation for the 2021 draft.

He'll only get familiar with his roster though - whichever one they assign us. 

34 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, he would be a great backup project.  Worse case scenario, take him, develop for a year behind Bridgewater--this only if we miss out on a top 5 QB. 

I think a name that should be on this list is Iowa State's Brock Purdy

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brock-purdy/JzGFYkYKOV

I was surprised to see that Purdy's  name was missing as well. From what I've read he started the season a little shaky but had a strong finished strong. A student at Clemson told me he thought scouts should keep an eye on him. He's put up good numbers despite not playing for an elite school or playing with elite talent. Some pundits feel that players like him could do well in the pros because they don't come from NCAA teams that are stocked with 4 and 5 star recruits which results in them playing well with teams with weaknesses, and just about every NFL team is weak in some area because of the salary cap.

Archived