• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Honeywell, Atrium Health, Tepper Sports & Entertainment and Charlotte Motor Speedway to coordinate mass vaccination events

CHARLOTTE - Honeywell, Atrium Health, Tepper Sports & Entertainment and the Charlotte Motor Speedway have announced a unique public-private partnership with the State of North Carolina, and backed by Gov. Roy Cooper, to support the goal of 1 million COVID-19 vaccinations by July 4, 2021. In collaboration with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the City of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, these organizations aim to unleash their combined strength to vaccinate as many frontline workers, members of the general public and of underserved communities as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Today's announcement aligns with Gov. Cooper's Jan. 12 announcement at a news conference in Raleigh that several mass vaccination sites are being established across the state to boost the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine. The governor and Secretary of DHHS Dr. Mandy Cohen announced Atrium Health as the health system to offer mass vaccination events in Charlotte and surrounding counties.

To meet the goal of 1 million vaccinations, the partners will work together to administer the vaccine, provide logistics and operations support and offer a venue for an efficient and safe initiative. Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte Motor Speedway and a soon to be determined location in the Winston-Salem area will serve as initial venues to contribute to this public-private initiative. More details will be shared in the coming days on the process and timing for each of the mass vaccination events.

"Getting vaccines in people's arms as quickly and equitably as possible is a top priority for North Carolina," said Gov. Cooper. "Partnerships with businesses, health providers and government like this can help get it done."

View the full article on Panthers.com

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1
31 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

It is good business for Tepper to get as many people vaccinated as possible before the start of the season

It's good business for everyone. Even if I didn't care to get the vaccine, I suspect many employers are going to eventually require that you have it to work there. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It's good business for everyone. Even if I didn't care to get the vaccine, I suspect many employers are going to eventually require that you have it to work there. 

I wonder if this is legal.  I am actually in the 1b category and many people where I work say they will refuse it even if it cost them their job(yeah right).  Im going to get it for sure

11 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I wonder if this is legal.  I am actually in the 1b category and many people where I work say they will refuse it even if it cost them their job(yeah right).  Im going to get it for sure

Yes, it is legal.

• Pie 1
10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

You are required to have immunizations to attend public school. You can be required to take pre-employment drug screening before an employer hires you.

I honestly don't see why this couldn't be legal, especially considering the economic and public health ramifications. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

That goal seems really low to me. By July? With potentially 3 vaccines available by end of February, I hope we get way more than that. If that’s across the entire country, you are talking about 30 million vaccines US wide. JnJ is the third vaccine and they are a bit behind but they still think their production will catch up to have 100 million single doses by the end of April. They have the single dose vaccine.

I’ll be keeping track as I definitely want to get vaccinated. My sister is a doctor and has already gotten the Pfizer one.

• Pie 3
5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That goal seems really low to me. By July? With potentially 3 vaccines available by end of February, I hope we get way more than that. If that’s across the entire country, you are talking about 30 million vaccines US wide. JnJ is the third vaccine and they are a bit behind but they still think their production will catch up to have 100 million single doses by the end of April. They have the single dose vaccine.

I’ll be keeping track as I definitely want to get vaccinated. My sister is a doctor and has already gotten the Pfizer one.

I think I qualify under the 1b, so I guess I will have to see where that slots me. Or I guess I could go lick hospital door knobs and get the antibodies the old fashioned way.

• Beer 1
57 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

It’s not ethical to force a medical intervention on someone against their will. It’s a basic human right. By the way Zod, kids can go to public schools without vaccines. 

Some states allow parents to object to immunization on philosophical or religious grounds but many don’t. 

There are states where kids can’t go to school unless they follow the immunization schedule.

Some school systems have already said Covid vaccines will be required to attend school in the future.

• Beer 4
1 hour ago, Panthera onca said:

It’s not ethical to force a medical intervention on someone against their will. It’s a basic human right. By the way Zod, kids can go to public schools without vaccines. 

From the government, I agree. From a private company, I disagree. 

At the end of the day, if the company wants to require the vaccine and you're dead set against it then it's a really bad cultural fit and is highly unlikely to work out anyway. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
1 hour ago, Panthera onca said:

It's not ethical to force workers to work alongside people with a deadly contagious virus.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1