• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LaMelo Ball holds No. 1 spot after first three weeks

Zod

The Top 5 this week in the 2020-21 Kia Rookie Ladder:

(All stats through Tuesday, Jan. 12)

1. LaMelo Ball, Charlotte Hornets

Season stats: 12.4 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.0 apg

One of the best things anyone can say about a rookie is that he’s affecting his team’s ability to win. Look, lots of first-year players make mistakes that can cost a game here or there, and many don’t log enough minutes to get credit or blame either way. But Ball has had a positive impact on the Hornets’ 6-5 start, a clear step up from last season’s 23-42 mark. The 6-foot-8 point guard leads Charlotte in rebounding and player efficiency rating (19.5). He ranks right behind starter Devonte’ Graham (6.5) in assists and grabbed attention by becoming the youngest player in NBA history to post a triple-double (22 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists against Atlanta last weekend). And while his flashy passing earns him spots on the highlight reels, it’s his rebounding — instinctively blocking out bigger players and timing his leaps — that has been a consistent asset. The sense in Charlotte is that Ball is contributing plays of substance even when they’re not stylish.

2. James Wiseman, Golden State Warriors

Season stats: 10.9 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.5 bpg

Nothing against Ball, but there were reasons Charlotte was talked about as considering a trade up to snag Wiseman. And if given the chance, would swap their rooks right now. Despite playing only three games in college and being off a competitive court for about a year, Wiseman has stepped into a serious operation in Golden State and provided instant value. The glimpses of greatness are getting more frequent, whether he’s facing, backing toward the basket or protecting the rim at a pace of 1.5 blocks nightly. There are league execs who will tell you already that, while Ball might wind up as this year’s Rookie of the Year, the guy they’d rather have five years from now is Wiseman.

3. Tyrese Haliburton, Sacramento Kings

Season stats: 12.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.3 apg

Haliburton showed up, fresh out of Iowa State, publicly talking about his goal to be this season’s Rookie of the Year. That would make him tops among the Class of 2020, but the 6-foot-5 point guard already ranks among the best of Sacramento’s bundle of young talent. His passing ability has delighted the Kings’ coaches — his assists average is closer to Ball’s than any other rookies are close to them. He fits nicely with De’Aaron Fox and Buddy Hield. And his 50% accuracy from the arc is eye-popping — he’s taking nearly 60% of his shots from 3-point range and hitting half of them.

4. Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves

Season stats: 13.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.0 apg

Though hardly a consensus pick at No. 1 in the Draft, Edwards has shown much of the potential that got him to that perch. He’s giving the Timberwolves some of what they need, as in scoring punch (he leads his classmates in that category) and visions of greatness based on his explosiveness and athletic ability. Other things the Wolves crave? Not so much. Edwards’ shooting is shaky, he’s not using his ability to attack the rim to also earn trips to the foul line and there’s not much to note defensively. Maybe we should factor in that Minnesota hasn’t started him yet.

5. Patrick Williams, Chicago Bulls

Season stats: 10.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg

The deeper we get into the season, the more folks will point this out: Williams came off the bench for all 29 games he played at Florida State, yet has started every game he’s played as a pro. Part of that is optics — the Bulls needed to demonstrate quickly what they liked so much about a freshman reserve to make him the No. 4 pick. But a bigger part is Williams’ versatility, his capacity to plug on a bad team a variety of notable holes. He’s a 3-and-D natural, it seems: Williams’ 3-point shooting has been toasty (45.8%), and even LeBron James complimented his defensive work. In another era, the 6-foot-8 forward might have been dismissed as a “’tweener,” but today he’s one of those position-less players GMs covet.

(SOURCE)

I don't want to brag, but I was really happy when he fell to us. People hated it because all they remembered was the arrogant little punk kid with the frosted tips chucking half court shots. If you looked in to him though it was obvious that he was the top prospect. He'd matured physically and mentally. He had intangibles that you just can't teach and his shot wasn't nearly as bad people made it out to be. 

We need to support him as much as possible because he has the potential to be a superstar. We need to make him love it here so he never wants to leave. 

Ball is a walking triple double when he eventually starts. Chalk this down as something I had no clue I would be saying year one. I admit I had no clue what to expect when we drafted him. I knew he was a good passer and he had a wonky jump shot but that was it. 

In a very limited sample size, limited minutes, no offseason, not playing a real basketball game in well over a year, Ball is a difference maker unlike any we have drafted. 

Biggest surprise of everything has been his rebounding. I love how he just knows how the ball is coming off the rim. The way the team plays with him on the court is so much faster. 

Things he needs to (and I believe he will) improve on. Shot, on ball defense and half court offense

22 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I don't want to brag, but I was really happy when he fell to us. People hated it because all they remembered was the arrogant little punk kid with the frosted tips chucking half court shots. If you looked in to him though it was obvious that he was the top prospect. He'd matured physically and mentally. He had intangibles that you just can't teach and his shot wasn't nearly as bad people made it out to be. 

We need to support him as much as possible because he has the potential to be a superstar. We need to make him love it here so he never wants to leave. 

This 1000X. This community hasnt had the chance to embrace him. Wait until the hive is back, we'll take them back to 93'.

47 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

LJ 19.2 3.9 11.0 rookie season

Zo 21.0 1.0 10.3 rookie season

but zo never, like, made it to the top 10 youtube or something, dude

it's ridiculous to compare lamelo to either of them but, it's like, the first time this has ever happened or something, dude.  bro.  bruh. 

@Zod yeah that's a fug you, transplant fan. you haven't shown your face in this sub for years, and now you're ruining it with your trash cheerleading

ban me like you did KT

Archived