• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL compensatory picks for minority coaches and executives explained

WarPanthers89

The news that the Lions are hiring longtime Rams executive Brad Holmes as Detroit’s new general manager means that for the first time, the league’s new rule rewarding teams that help develop minority coaches and executives will be put into place.

Holmes is a minority, so the Rams will now receive a third-round compensatory pick in both the 2021 NFL draft and the 2022 NFL draft for losing Holmes.

Those third-round picks will come after the compensatory picks that are awarded to teams for losing free agent players. We don’t yet know how many third-round compensatory picks will be awarded for losing free agents, but if there were five regular third-round compensatory picks, those would be picks Nos. 97-101. Then the first compensatory pick for losing a minority player or executive would be No. 102.

If multiple teams lose minority coaches or executives, multiple third-round compensatory picks will be awarded. They’ll be awarded in the same order that teams choose in the draft, so the team that’s higher in the draft order would also be higher in the compensatory pick order.

These compensatory picks are in addition to the 32 compensatory picks that are regularly awarded. So while the draft would typically have 256 overall picks (32 in each of seven rounds, plus 32 compensatory picks), there can now be more than 256 picks because of the additional compensatory picks.

The full text of the NFL resolution is below:

2020 RESOLUTION JC-2A

Whereas, the member clubs believe that policies designed to promote equal employment opportunity and a diverse and inclusive workforce advance significant league interests, including improved decision making, enhanced business performance, and representing the NFL as an employer of choice that hires and promotes based on merit; and

Whereas, the member clubs have adopted policies extending over several decades in furtherance of these goals, including policies designed to permit upward mobility and advancement of club employees, particularly those in coaching and football operations roles; and

Whereas, the member clubs believe that it is appropriate to take additional steps to enhance opportunities for employment and advancement of minorities and women in key positions, including leadership roles in coaching, personnel, and football operations,

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Submitted by Workplace Diversity Committee

Effect: Establishes a system that rewards clubs for developing minority employees who move to the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach with other clubs.

Reason: Supports development opportunities for minority employees to advance goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

Below is my feelings about the Saints getting additional comp picks:

677A5A7A-003E-4BD9-AE19-5160727DC518.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

In a way, doesn't this punish teams for hiring minorities?  I mean, we don't want to help other teams in the draft right? So why would we bring in a minority hire if it improves another teams draft position? Am I reading this wrong?

Yes but you certainly don't want to rule out the guy you think is best for the job just because it will give one team (2) late-3rd round draft picks. 

11 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

In a way, doesn't this punish teams for hiring minorities?  I mean, we don't want to help other teams in the draft right? So why would we bring in a minority hire if it improves another teams draft position? Am I reading this wrong?

I don't think most teams will care enough about a compensatory 3rd rounder to worry about this. 

Plus the goal is to develop talent internally so this isn't going to discourage any team from developing minority talent in house.

How many teams avoid signing another teams free agent to avoid compensatory picks?  I doubt many 

14 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

It’s a reward for developing high potential minorities so that they can get positions where they have been clearly overlooked in the past based off the statistics. The goal is to encourage hiring within your own ranks so that when the individual gets promoted to a high profile role, you get the draft picks as a reward. It’s a strategy that is definitely flawed and always will be, but I’m not sure anyone has a plan that does not have negative side effects in some way, the main thing so that an effort is being made to correct an obvious problem with minority hiring in key roles of gm and head coach. 

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

So if Falcons hire Fontenot they’re also directly responsible for the Aints getting 2 extra 3rd round comp picks... just another reason to hate those chokers

Good on them for hiring the best candidate. I hate that the Saints get extra draft picks from it but I don’t think the Falcons should get any hate for this. To me, the team who hires the monitory in the gm role or head coach should get the reward of the draft picks, not the team that they are coming from 

Count me as a super fan of using racism to fight racism!! I mean it works great and history shows that too! 

Whats next black kickers get the goal post moved inwards? White CBs get to know what type of route the WR is running? Such chicken poo. What if a person is 27.5% minority?? Does the team get a 2045 7th rounder for that? Two hand touch for Japanese players. No coin toss if you have a minority coach, they get to choose and free 8 points if 51% of the staff is minority? Cannt wait for 23 and me to be a tool to settle who gets the win if a tie happens. 

This is clearly some tone deaf white people trying to do something t o promote hiring more minorities but its actually pretty stupid. If anything the team doing the hiring should get the draft picks not the team losing them. If the team losing them had no reason to promote them why would they get compensation for allowing another team to give them an opportunity they deserved. All this is a bunch of nonsense to have enough pale faces complain and phase it out. I’m all for certain aspects of equality but the best man needs to be picked for the job no matter the color and half the time its the color of their skin that gets them overlooked. At the end of the day the people that get butt hurt about things like this call reverse racism or show their true colors of how they feel about black people remember this, the only reason the team in any sport outside of hockey (but thats another conversation for another day), is successful or has won anything is because of the black people you cheer for but subliminally hate. Ironic isn't it lol. Being white is by far the epitome of selective obliviousness and it’s disgusting. 

Archived