• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle and Carolina Records and Draft Orders: A comparison

CarolinaSunday

39 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

It’s almost like there is more to this whole success thing than just having a higher pick in the draft. 

While I agree with the basic premise, it's also fair to point out that Seattle made one of the all time luckiest third round picks ever when they drafted Russell Wilson.  He's been a HUGE part of the success of that team and without a doubt turned that franchise around.

1 hour ago, CarolinaSunday said:

@Mr. Scot and I were discussing the comparisons of records and draft orders in one of the Fitterer threads.  He found the Seahawks' record for the past ten years, and I filled it out with what draft position the Seahawks had (BEFORE they traded down) and Carolina's record/draft position.

This might bring some perspective to the Seahawks drafts and how well they have been putting their team together:

image.png.0a698cac00c21b003f7cfeb05ec96773.png

I saw back to back winning seasons and needed nothing else.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's technically correct. None of the winning seasons we had during that stretch came with Marty setting the roster.

That’s fair relative to the topic at hand. My point was that DG had his flaws as well and there’s a reason he left town along with Marty.

4 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

That’s fair relative to the topic at hand. My point was that DG had his flaws as well and there’s a reason he left town along with Marty.

Yeah, the reason was Jerry Richardson.

Gettleman being fired didn't have anything to do with win-loss records. He presided over the most successful stretch in team history to date. But then Jerry gave us back the gift of Marty Hurney and...ugh.

Regardless, here's hoping the best is yet to come.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, the reason was Jerry Richardson.

Gettleman being fired didn't have anything to do with win-loss records. He presided over the most successful stretch in team history to date. But then Jerry gave us back the gift of Marty Hurney and...ugh.

Regardless, here's hoping the best is yet to come.

You can correct me if I’m wrong but not sure he’s been successful anywhere else. He also inherited a great deal of talent from what I recollect. Although, we get the same arguments for US presidency, as some will say the positive change is just lingering from prior candidacy and negatives the same. All the same, it’s a fallacy to attribute it all to one guy. 

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yes, and? He was only 1 of those 5 top 10 since the teams he ran the off-season for went to the playoffs 4 of 5 years.

ETA: It was also a joke.

I sensed the sarcasm, and definitely am not a Hurney apologist. Just reminding everyone that I don’t remember anyone mourning the departure of Gettlemagic either.

4 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

You can correct me if I’m wrong but not sure he’s been successful anywhere else. He also inherited a great deal of talent from what I recollect. Although, we get the same arguments for US presidency, as some will say the positive change is just lingering from prior candidacy and negatives the same. All the same, it’s a fallacy to attribute it all to one guy. 

He also inherited a team that, despite all that talent, wasn't very good...and was 14 million dollars over the cap.

I don't put a whole lot of stock in what anybody inherits. Once you have final control of the roster, success or failure is on you.

Archived