• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you do with the #8 pick?

Icege

What would you do with the #8 pick?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with the #8 pick?

• Trade up to #2 or #3 (what are you giving up and who are you selecting?)
    • Trade down (who are you trading with and who are you selecting?)
    • Wait for #8 (who are you selecting?)
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson (what else are you giving up?)

I can't decide quite yet.

If Fields doesn't get taken at #2, I'd like to trade up to #3 with the team's #8, #39, and 2022 2nd rd picks. If no bite, wait and see who is willing to trade up to #8. If no partners available, my big board looks like this (for the team specifically. This isn't how I view the players overall):

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
3. Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
4. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
5. Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
6. DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
7. Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
8. Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

Ideally, trade for Watson.  Give up #8, next year's first, and frankly whatever it takes as filler. 

After that, I'm tied with staying at 8 or moving up to 3. I still don't think we see 4 QBs go before us, and honestly I'm not sure both WIlson/Fields go before us.  Between the rising and falling, some teams (like the Jets rumored to be) will decide they're okay or find a FA option, and somebody falls.  Not going to pretend to know off the top of my head, but I feel like the number of times even 3 QBs were selected Top 10 is low.  It's a QB-driven league more so now than ever...but there's also a lot of dumb teams out there, or those that will be happy to take BPA or wait on a Mac Jones or Trask.   

All of that said, if we have "a guy" and we have to go to 3 to get him...go for it. 

It all depends on scouting. If you think there are 3 or fewer QBS with solid potential to be a franchise QB then you will probably have to move up. If you think there are 4 QBS with solid potential to be franchise QBS then standing pat will probably net you one of them subject to draft day maneuvering. I have my doubts that trading for Watson is even a possibility. Furthermore, I do not think Jones or Trask are franchise QBS. Nor do I think you are likely to find a franchise QB outside of the first round (probably early).

I'm looking to move up to 5 to get Lance.

I'm not sure if I like Fields or Wilson that much more than Lance to justify the extra cost to get to 2 or 3.

going to 3 might take two 1st and two 2nds, going to 5 might take this years 2nd.

If Lance doesn't work out I have an extra 1st in the future to use on a different QB.

but some team might think Wilson is a sure bet while they have a lot of doubts on Lance. 

At the end up a day its all a gamble, you just have to do your due diligence and make the best gamble you can.

You sit at pick 8 and really wait to see what develops. Go with best player available. There's just too much of a chance that one of the standouts in this draft will fall, not because of some flaw but because there are teams with some serious needs ahead of us.

We, as a team, are sitting at a point where we have some serious needs, but there's a place for the best player of any position. Even RB... if for some reason the unquestioned best player available was a RB, we'd still either make a two-headed monster at RB or find someone willing to trade for CMCs heavy contract. DT -- we can add one in. Edge -- we've got room for a top end talent. LB-- can never go wrong there. OG/OT/C -- without a doubt. CB/S-- you bet. TE -- definitely. WR -- rookie contract WR may be our best/most economical way of replacing Samuel if he goes. QB -- yeah, you bet. 

Sit, wait, watch and be wise. And if someone comes in with a rich trade offer, take it.

Archived