• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions on a cheaper quarterback option

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Honestly I'd rather draft a guy this year or next and have our own to develop under Rhule. 

If we don’t draft a qb this year with first pick or trade for someone u can count on being terrible next couple years. They said qbs next year will be really bad. 

Stafford is the only cheaper option I’d want, and only to hold us over til we can draft a franchise guy. Stafford is really good, very underrated in my opinion, but old and damaged so I wouldn’t want him more than a year or two. At the very least he won’t be the most frustrating QB in the world to watch lose us games like Teddy. 

Drafting a QB is still the cheapest route. It's not sure fire you'll win with even the first pick of the draft, but those salary constraints can help a team.

Still, there are going to be some notable QBs spun off from their teams by training camp and if the NFL's youth movement devalues them then we might find a bargain. Or we might get screwed -- they'll be out there for a reason. There's fizzle more often than fire out there in free agent land.

And trading, for someone like Watson... that gets expensive both dollar-wise and draft-wise.

19 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

No thx. He will be 33 when the season starts and we are not a vet QB away from competing.

I think we are much closer to competing than you do.  Of our 11 losses, 8 were within a single score.  Better qb play could easily win 4 or 5 of those, which would have us competing for a playoff spot.  

Now I am not sure I want Stafford, but we aren't that far away.   

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think we are much closer to competing than you do.  Of our 11 losses, 8 were within a single score.  Better qb play could easily win 4 or 5 of those, which would have us competing for a playoff spot.  

Now I am not sure I want Stafford, but we aren't that far away.   

These things are not in a vacuum.  Its not static.  We stand to lose a lot of our roster yet again especially on the oline and the secondary needs massive help.  I just dont think you can use those stats and apply them to the 2021 team

I appreciate threads that force people to consider other options--we tend to get focused on a few paths to success while ignoring all others. 

I personally obsess about the ability to develop a franchise around a drafted rookie because you get 4 years of bargain salary--that is like getting 2 high priced free agents at other positions in today's market.  Once your QB earns a second contract ($35m or so per year or more), you are ready to replace some aging veterans at other positions.  A good GM can then gauge his contract terms around the QB's salary.  For example, if we draft Wilson and we know his fifth year will be in 2025, we should make sure we do not back load other young contracts--creating a perfect storm. 

I do not know all of the nuances, but if we are going to be analytical, I would think a chronological, strategic salary cap management process would be key.  With Marty, I felt as if we were constantly borrowing to pay off loans, looking for change beneath the cushions, etc.

We are already committed to building the bottom of the roster--Rhule and Fits seem to realize that the bottom of the roster is fluid and finding talent there is critical.  Depth helps teams battling injuries overcome then and it helps GMs from being locked into "no win" situations.  It keeps the cap # down. 

Tangent over.

Archived