• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Growing sense, DeShaun is done as a Texan. #itshappening

5 minutes ago, Ship said:

You're never just one guy away, but a young elite QB puts you on the fast track.

This.

If we were an absolute dumpster fire, I'd agree that giving up a ton of draft capital would be a mistake. But we had 8 games this year where we were one drive away from either winning or sending a game to overtime, and a big reason why we lost ALL 8 of those is that our QB wasn't capable. 

Despite our youth and roster limitation due to dead cap, etc., we were a competitive team for the most part this year.  Upgrading from Teddy Bridgewater to Deshaun Watson puts us in playoff contention, if not in the playoffs period.  If he were older/had fewer years left, or if we were further away, it wouldn't necessarily make sense.  But considering his age and ability and where we are in our rebuild, I think it'd be worth it.

Obviously that mental calculus will be impacted by how much draft capital you have to give the Texans, but short of 3 or 4 first round picks, I think you do it.  Maybe you could talk them down to something like 2 firsts, a second and a third. 

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

biggest problem is the panthers basically HAVE to include BW in the deal

not sure if that decreases or increases the amount of picks. 

Why would we absolutely have to include Teddy?  Because of the amount of money we'd have tied up in cap space at the QB position?  

We already competed this year with a ton of dead money on the books this year.  We could compete with Watson for one year with the cap limitations that would come from having Teddy still on the books.  And then you cut Teddy next offseason when the structure of his contract allows us to do so for relatively little dead cap hit.

By all means, include Teddy if the Texans will take him and it doesn't bump up the amount of draft capital they want in return.  But if the Texans don't want him, then don't let that be your dealbreaker stopping a deal from happening.

7 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Watt has not justified his salary in some time. 

JJ Watt is damaged goods.  He'll still produce in spurts from now on, but his most productive days are behind him.  The best Watt in the League now resides on the Steelers' roster.

The only way we possibly get Watson is if he deliberately wants to be traded here and pretty much only here. We're not gonna win a bidding war for him, and frankly shouldn't try -- we're not close enough to contending that we should give up a ton of draft assets and/or young players, and he's already on a very expensive contract. Our plan should be to hit on a young QB this draft and have an early window while said QB is on his rookie deal. If we can get Watson at a discount because he wants to come here then great, we should be all over that. But I find that to be unlikely.

Just now, woahfraze said:

Why would we absolutely have to include Teddy?  Because of the amount of money we'd have tied up in cap space at the QB position?  

We already competed this year with a ton of dead money on the books this year.  We could compete with Watson for one year with the cap limitations that would come from having Teddy still on the books.  And then you cut Teddy next offseason when the structure of his contract allows us to do so for relatively little dead cap hit.

By all means, include Teddy if the Texans will take him and it doesn't bump up the amount of draft capital they want in return.  But if the Texans don't want him, then don't let that be your dealbreaker stopping a deal from happening.

Panthers ahve around 7.5 mil in cap space. 

BW is 23 mil of that

Watson is a 15.9 mil cap hit

do the math.

of course BW and Watson would still be less a cap hit than Matt Ryan in 2021 lmao

My prediction:

He will be seemingly appeased and not traded. Bieniemy will be hired and photo opps will abound. However, I am NOT convinced that Bieniemy will make a good head coach. His one play calling gig was at Colorado and was not very good. He does not call plays in KC. I am convinced that Pederson lucked up early in Philadelphia. At best, Bieniemy is a big question mark. Time will tell but the future is not looking too bright in Houston.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

The only way we possibly get Watson is if he deliberately wants to be traded here and pretty much only here. We're not gonna win a bidding war for him, and frankly shouldn't try -- we're not close enough to contending that we should give up a ton of draft assets and/or young players, and he's already on a very expensive contract. Our plan should be to hit on a young QB this draft and have an early window while said QB is on his rookie deal. If we can get Watson at a discount because he wants to come here then great, we should be all over that. But I find that to be unlikely.

I mean if we had a legit QB, we win at least 10 games this year. 

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

Panthers ahve around 7.5 mil in cap space. 

BW is 23 mil of that

Watson is a 15.9 mil cap hit

do the math.

of course BW and Watson would still be less a cap hit than Matt Ryan in 2021 lmao

Not sure how accurate these numbers from sportrac are, but you free up 9MM by cutting Kawaan Short (clears his 20MM hit at the cost of 11MM).  Add that to the 7.5MM we have and you've got enough room for Watson (you can't double count Teddy's amount....that 23MM is already accounted for when you quote 7.5MM in space).

Obviously, you'd have to make some more moves in order to sign the rookie class and possibly make some moves in FA, but my point is that while unloading Teddy would be better, if the Texans don't want him, you can still make it work.

Archived