• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remote learning has been a failure per CMS

Ja  Rhule

Right now teacher's unions are on the wrong side of this.  Heck, teacher's unions in Virginia are perfectly fine sending kids back while they stay home, and the school districts have to hire...guess what.  Classroom monitors.  

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/02/some-fairfax-co-teachers-will-remain-virtual-when-students-return-to-the-classroom/

Teachers are now using the ADA to avoid having to go back.  Doesn't say "must" return post-vaccine.  

On 2/5/2021 at 6:41 PM, Whatev said:

Right now teacher's unions are on the wrong side of this.  Heck, teacher's unions in Virginia are perfectly fine sending kids back while they stay home, and the school districts have to hire...guess what.  Classroom monitors.  

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2021/02/some-fairfax-co-teachers-will-remain-virtual-when-students-return-to-the-classroom/

Teachers are now using the ADA to avoid having to go back.  Doesn't say "must" return post-vaccine.  

Still trying to find blame for a healthcare crisis, eh?

Guess what, Sparky? Less than half the teachers in this country are unionized (44.6%).

Why not start a conspiracy that the teachers actually came up with COVID and are responsible for spreading it all over the world?

Vaccinate teachers.  Problem solved.  

After listening and reading all the stupid crap the general public has said, put your vaccines where your mouth is.  Get us the vaccinations.  If you expect teachers and faculty to be in rooms with 25-45 kids all day, get us vaccinated.

• Pie 3

On 2/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, d-dave said:

Vaccinate teachers.  Problem solved.  

After listening and reading all the stupid crap the general public has said, put your vaccines where your mouth is.  Get us the vaccinations.  If you expect teachers and faculty to be in rooms with 25-45 kids all day, get us vaccinated.

That makes too much sense though.

As a teacher in FL I do envy those in other states that have not yet been forced into crowded, unsafe situations.  Our resting dumb face of a governor forced us back and has also determined that we are not a high need group for vaccination.  This school year has been a complete and utter nightmare, and I am actually at a school that is trying to take things seriously.  My wife's school on the other hand is the real life version of the meme with the dog sitting in the fire saying everything is fine.  Every single day I leave work mentally and psychologically defeated, only to see her crumbling worse than I.  

It is okay though.  I my state we exist for the convenience of others.  Our mental health, and if need be physical health, are a sacrifice that the selfish society of this bleep hole state is willing to make to make their lives easier.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Goondal said:

That makes too much sense though.

As a teacher in FL I do envy those in other states that have not yet been forced into crowded, unsafe situations.  Our resting dumb face of a governor forced us back and has also determined that we are not a high need group for vaccination.  This school year has been a complete and utter nightmare, and I am actually at a school that is trying to take things seriously.  My wife's school on the other hand is the real life version of the meme with the dog sitting in the fire saying everything is fine.  Every single day I leave work mentally and psychologically defeated, only to see her crumbling worse than I.  

It is okay though.  I my state we exist for the convenience of others.  Our mental health, and if need be physical health, are a sacrifice that the selfish society of this bleep hole state is willing to make to make their lives easier.

God, that sucks!  I hope you and your wife are able to stay healthy.

People seem to think that teachers are disposable.  Like we are easily replaceable. When enough teachers quit, and there are no new ones in the pipelines (UNC system teacher ed programs are drying up); only then will the public have to realize what they have done to their kids.

• Pie 2

No in-person schooling for quite a while.  Districts have got to be saving tons of money in personnel, food, utilities, etc.  Is that money being reimbursed?

When my daughter went to virtual while housed in college dorm/meal plan, they reimbursed us the money for the remainder of that year.  

Why aren't taxpayers receiving that money back.  Or was it appropriated to providing chromebooks, etc.  

It's a frikkin' crime that each county can't take two to three days' worth of supplies and vaccinate their entire education workforce en masse: teachers, bus drivers (many of whom are elderly), cafeteria workers, janitorial staff, support personnel and administrative people.

No teacher is saying "Don't send us back in to those massively difficult underpaid jobs!" They are saying "Don't send us back to one of the most highly infectious places ever devised without giving us vaccinations first!"

And what they are saying makes perfect sense. Teachers want to get back to doing their jobs, as do the rest of school personnel. They just want to be protected from the pandemic, and we should want the same things for them if we are any kind of a decent people.

And for those screaming "Where's my tax dollars that weren't spent??!!!???" Just shut the fug up.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

It's a frikkin' crime that each county can't take two to three days' worth of supplies and vaccinate their entire education workforce en masse: teachers, bus drivers (many of whom are elderly), cafeteria workers, janitorial staff, support personnel and administrative people.

No teacher is saying "Don't send us back in to those massively difficult underpaid jobs!" They are saying "Don't send us back to one of the most highly infectious places ever devised without giving us vaccinations first!"

And what they are saying makes perfect sense. Teachers want to get back to doing their jobs, as do the rest of school personnel. They just want to be protected from the pandemic, and we should want the same things for them if we are any kind of a decent people.

And for those screaming "Where's my tax dollars that weren't spent??!!!???" Just shut the fug up.

Counties don't have enough of the vaccine. The county I live in has had to reschedule several times to due to shortages or deliveries that didn't happen.  Hopefully that will change in the near future. But we can't take vaccines away from others such as health care workers or those that are most vulnerable, to give it to teachers.  So until there is enough vaccine, we are stuck.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Counties don't have enough of the vaccine. The county I live in has had to reschedule several times to due to shortages or deliveries that didn't happen.  Hopefully that will change in the near future. But we can't take vaccines away from others such as health care workers or those that are most vulnerable, to give it to teachers.  So until there is enough vaccine, we are stuck.  

Wife is volunteering to give vaccine shots today at a church location in an underserved community.  All Cooper has to do is make teachers a priority and he can make it happen.  In fact, that could be done by Biden as well.  Kid suicide rates are skyrocketing.  Crime among the same demo is too.  Large numbers of kids have NEVER signed into a single zoom class.  

They should be leaders and get prioritization to teachers as front line health care workers were/are.

8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

You're right, and there's the crux of the problem... sheer numbers. There are about 350 million of us in need of the vaccine. That is an astronomically huge number, especially when it comes to manufacturing something (not just the vaccines, but the syringes, vials, boxes, alcohol swabs, etc...  all while maintaining our regular supply streams of those things for normal medical uses).

It's just an incredibly daunting task that we have to do just to get our country squared away, not to mention assist the rest of the folks on this planet. 

And on to school personnel... we often forget how big our education system is, particularly when you figure in all of the personnel beyond classroom teachers. In NC, the largest single employer is our education system. There are 98,590 classroom teachers alone, and probably one to two more support/administration people per teacher. That's big.

But it could be done, going back into the original question, it's just a matter of will. And, I think, if we want to get the kids back to school and keep the environment safe for everyone involved, the state and counties need to do this. 

• Pie 1