• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Here the root definition of a NTC: A no-trade clause is a contractual clause that allows players to veto trades to certain teams. ... 

This is basically free agency for Watson.

Bingo. TBQH, I am not sure I would want to trade one completely hopeless rebuilding situation in Houston for a mildly more hopeful rebuilding situation in Carolina.

Miami, the Pats, San Francisco all seem to fit the bill for winning situations. Perhaps the Colts?

But, we also have to consider places he wants to live, how much the Texans are willing to trade him for, who they are willing to trade him to, etc. This is going to be a fascinating to watch transpire.

4 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Except it's limited to like maybe 2 teams with the desire and ability to make the trade. Which makes it not free agency at all. He doesn't get to determine how much the other team offers.

If a team wants you in FA they come after you, and you agree to a deal with them. If the texans are in a situation where 3 teams offer a package and Watson only agrees to one of the teams... then the Texans have very little choice. The Texans literally have no power in this situation. Its either trade him, or sit on an extremely large contract with a non playing player. Other teams know this, and I dont think Texans will get an optimized haul due to this. 

Just now, 45catfan said:

The relationship has soured so much as long as the trade isn't within the division, they shouldn't blink an eye at dealing with another AFC team.

Plus you're going to have to trade him somewhere he wants to go.

Are we ready to believe he's only interested in NFC teams?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I get it, but if he REALLY wants out of Houston that bad, he's not going to be too choosy.  That was my point.  Watson is going to have some say, but ultimately he's going to take some offer that the Texans are comfortable with to.  The Texans can play hardball as well. 

texans really dont have much room to play hardball. This is a very unfortunate situation for HOU and their fans. If they were choosing to trade Watson, they could potentially get four 1st round picks or not trade at all, but since this is driven by watson, there is no outcome but a trade.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

Trading 3 first rounders is in reality losing 2 players dog.  Watson for 8 and we lose 2 mid to late first round players the next 2 drafts.  Its not “a ton of talent”

It is if you are only picking up 6 players per draft over the next few years, homie.

You could trade down and have 8-10 players per year through the draft, bro.

This would fill in some of the 15 or more holes this teams needs to desperately fill in so bad, G.

And, it would be able to fill those holes faster, for less money towards the cap, with more players to sift through as the right insert for the role, DUDE.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Amen brother, that puppy is going to be an albatross for this franchise at the precise wrong moment

Y'all should put some effort in to learning the basics of salary cap. Trading him now hurts our cap, not help it.

I realize nobody will ever try to educate themselves on this but it has to be stated.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Plus you're going to have to trade him somewhere he wants to go.

Are we ready to believe he's only interested in NFC teams?

There is 2 NFC teams and 1 AFC team that watson has on his list. The Jets thing is interesting bc they should be a dark horse more than a likelihood. We have no idea if Watson wants to play there. There are rumblings that he wanted to play with Saleh, so there is that. 

I dont see the Texans trading him to AFC as a first choice, bc they are automatically eliminating a playoff spot by doing that. 

1 minute ago, cardiackat88. said:

It is if you are only picking up 6 players per draft over the next few years, homie.

You could trade down and have 8-10 players per year through the draft, bro.

This would fill in some of the 15 or more holes this teams needs to desperately fill in so bad, G.

And, it would be able to fill those holes faster, for less money towards the cap, with more players to sift through as the right insert for the role, DUDE.

you could still do this without a first round pick.

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

Do you mean 3 players? Im assuming you are referring to us trading 3 first rounds picks (which I dont think we will offer more than 2)

If that's the case, I dont think we are risking "a ton" of potential talent. Just two players.

It is if you are only picking up 6 players per draft over the next few years when you could trade down and have 8-10 players per year through the draft over those next few years instead.

This would fill in some of the 15 or more holes this teams needs to desperately fill in so bad, and could fill them in more quickly.

And, it would be able to fill those holes faster, for less money towards the cap, with more players to sift through as the right insert for the role.

It just gives a lot more talent, for cheaper, faster, and towards the goal of filling all the spots that are so badly needed.

I am not sure how attractive of a package we could put together for the Texans and a lot of that is going to depend on what coach they end up hiring. 

In terms of players we have with trade value to them, 

1. Brian Burns

2. DJ Moore

3. CMC(behind Moore because of the contract and injuries)

That's probably about it for high end value. Other than that, we will probably have to go pretty hard on draft capital and that is a dicey proposition. You have to weigh what a player of his caliber is worth(a tremendous amount) and what we have left to be able to build around him. It could be a big problem without the draft picks to build your roster for the next 2-3 years. Our new GM is going to have to absolutely knock it out of the park on all his free agent signings from that point on. 

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1