• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

26 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Here the root definition of a NTC: A no-trade clause is a contractual clause that allows players to veto trades to certain teams. ... 

This is basically free agency for Watson.

I agree that Watson has some leverage with the no trade clause, but you have to remember the Texans also have a no trade clause.  They don't have to do a thing.

His cap hit isn't huge this year and honestly if we refuses to play then they can recoup some of that money.  Its no different than when a player decides to retire, a team can go after some of the signing bonus that was paid to them.

The Texan's image is already bad, they really don't have anything to lose.  If anything Watson's PR might start to look worse once the season starts and his teammates are out there playing and he is at home.

Lets say the Panthers make a good offer and the Jets make a great offer.  Watson wants to go to the Panthers but the team says we will only OK a trade to the Jets or you can stay here.  If Watson really wants out he might relax his demands.

Its really going to become a big game of chicken, to see who gives in first.  If I'm in the Texans I'm only trading him for fair market value, if not he can sit on the bench all year.  

Texans also have time on their side, they can trade him next season for just as much.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

this was shared earlier this week on the huddle in another thread. There is a list that has already being discussed by people within Watson's group. It was the same site the reported that watson wanted out weeks before the official word.

1. MIA
2. CAR
3. SF

4. Mystery team

So you are going by what a huddler has posted?  Sweet Christ man.

Just now, AU-panther said:

I agree that Watson has some leverage with the no trade clause, but you have to remember the Texans also have a no trade clause.  They don't have to do a thing.

His cap hit isn't huge this year and honestly if we refuses to play then they can recoup some of that money.  Its no different than when a player decides to retire, a team can go after some of the signing bonus that was paid to them.

The Texan's image is already bad, they really don't have anything to lose.  If anything Watson's PR might start to look worse once the season starts and his teammates are out there playing and he is at home.

Lets say the Panthers make a good offer and the Jets make a great offer.  Watson wants to go to the Panthers but the team says we will only OK a trade to the Jets or you can stay here.  If Watson really wants out he might relax his demands.

Its really going to become a big game of chicken, to see who gives in first.  If I'm in the Texans I'm only trading him for fair market value, if not he can sit on the bench all year.  

Texans also have time on their side, they can trade him next season for just as much.

I wont say you are wrong, but I will say I highly doubt the Texans will sit on Watson.  Texans really do have little leverage in this situation. Your hypothetical works here, but will not work in the real life situation that is occurring. Watson WILL NOT be on the Texans roster come June.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I honestly don't think Teddy is a trade asset at all.

He isn't. His contract basically just makes him someone that will get cut wherever he is traded. Sort of like how some of our fans think that CMC is a valuable trade asset. He is not. Very few teams in the league want to absorb that kind of RB contract.

The biggest asset we have is Burns, who is an elite pass rusher with 3 years left on a rookie deal. His value is extremely high. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

All I'm saying is that lots of teams avoid trading star playing in conference. We're not in conference. That's it.

You obviously don't want to consider making a deal for Watson and that's fine, but you sure are doing a lot of twisting of words in here.

I'd trade a fifth rounder for #3 overall too but somehow I don't see it happening.

As to Watson, I'd absolutely consider a deal in a heartbeat if it wasn't a Gift of the Magi type transaction. Most of what I see people offering here is exactly that.

And do you really think if say, the Dolphins offered a better deal than us, they'd take a worse deal just because of that?

(not even mentioning the relationship between Caserio and Flores)

The Texans are gonna get hammered and look like fools if they trade him anyway. You're asking them to accept looking even worse.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

So you are going by what a huddler has posted?  Sweet Christ man.

Huddler posting a link to a website that has been credited to be correct and leaked out accurate information on this Watson situation should not be discredited because I came across it here. 

You can choose to ignore it, that is fine. However, there is a reason our name is popping up all over the place as a team tied to the Watson debacle. 

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

this was shared earlier this week on the huddle in another thread. There is a list that has already being discussed by people within Watson's group. It was the same site the reported that watson wanted out weeks before the official word.

1. MIA
2. CAR
3. SF

4. Mystery team

But that is all pretty rumor based at the moment. It's far from concrete.

3 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I'd be super stoked to get him and am glad we're in the mix.

The 5:20 mark of this video sold me on Deshaun for good:

Smart QB with all the talent in the world. Just needs a better team around him.

Why in the hell are people thinking we are in the mix? It literally makes no sense.  We dont have the draft capital or salary cap room to add him. 

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

How do you know what Watsons “list” is? He has not even publicly admitted he wants to be traded.

Watson wanted the Texans to look at Robert Saleh as a head coach, plus the Jets have the #2 pick as well as a young WB to offer in return.

I'd definitely call them a real possibility.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Huddler posting a link to a website that has been credited to be correct and leaked out accurate information on this Watson situation should not be discredited because I came across it here. 

You can choose to ignore it, that is fine. However, there is a reason our name is popping up all over the place as a team tied to the Watson debacle. 

link it for us then because it sure as hell aint on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd trade a fifth rounder for #3 overall too but somehow I don't see it happening.

As to Watson, I'd absolutely consider a deal in a heartbeat if it wasn't a Gift of the Magi type transaction. Most of what I see people offering here is exactly that.

And do you really think if say, the Dolphins offered a better deal than us, they'd take a worse deal just because of that?

(not even mentioning the relationship between Caserio and Flores)

The Texans are gonna get hammered and look like fools if they trade him anyway. You're asking them to accept looking even worse.

I don't think they would take a hugely lesser offer, but they might take a slightly lesser offer. Assuming Watson would sign off on the destination. That's the thing here, he has a no trade clause. They have to sell him on the destination or it's a no go.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

link it for us then because it sure as hell aint on this thread.

just search the forum man. It was a link someone led with on a thread. I shouldn't have to disprove your disbelief. I am sure someone else here knows what I am talking about bc it was posted last week. There was a screenshot and a link.