• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hadn't thought about the 49ers being able to offer Jimmy Garoppolo..

Could see Caserio biting on that if the surrounding package was good.

I keep thinking any deal that might appeal to the Texans has to include a potential QB, makes it a lot easier to sell to your fans.  Also as you said in another post owners have egos, getting a QB might help swallow your pride a little.

Both Miami and the Jets can also offer potential QBs, either Tua or guys drafted this year.

People also need to realize that not all 1st round picks are created equal.  In reality the Jest 1st is probably worth 3 of your first.  Think about what it would take for us to move up to the 2nd pick.  If the Texans are really high on 2 QBs in the draft than the Jets pick is worth exponentially more than ours.  If they are really high on 3 QBs than Miami's pick is worth exponentially more than ours.  The Jets offering 3 first round picks is the same as us offering 5 1st round picks.  We don't have a QB (and don't say teddy) to offer in any package, maybe on draft night if Lance falls to us and they are really high on Lance.

Speaking of draft night, what about Atlanta, what if Texans really like Fields and he is there for Atlanta.  Could Atlanta package that pick along with others and trade for Watson, and then trade Ryan to someone else?

I could see us making a offer but at the end of the day we can't offer a guaranteed QB. We can offer draft picks, we can offer some really good young players, CMC, Burns, Brown, Chinn, some of which are still on rookie contracts which is a huge selling point, but we can't offer a QB.

If Im the Texans I'm trying my best to come out of this with a potential franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I keep thinking any deal that might appeal to the Texans has to include a potential QB, makes it a lot easier to sell to your fans.  Also as you said in another post owners have egos, getting a QB might help swallow your pride a little.

Negotiating with an old colleague who's probably less likely to try to screw you over helps too.

San Francisco and Miami can each offer both young quarterbacks and friendly connections with Caserio.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Negotiating with an old colleague who's probably less likely to try to screw you over helps too.

San Francisco and Miami can each offer both young quarterbacks and friendly connections with Caserio.

Fans sometimes underestimate how much relationships play into these things.

The Garappole angle I find interesting, I know the GM at the Texans has a history with him, but it also seems like the 49ers are looking to move on from him.  Do you really want to stake your franchise to him?

If I'm the Texans I'm going to take my time and evaluate the QBs coming out in the draft (Lance, Fields, and Wilson) and once I decide which ones of those I like that will help me determine which trade packages look the most appealing.  If I only like one of them then the Jets look a lot more appealing than anyone else.

In other developments on this front, Eric Bieniemy has accepted the Texans interview request, and is in fact interviewing today.

The league decided to give permission for teams to go ahead and do virtual interviews with candidates from the four remaining teams this week rather than making them wait.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In other developments on this front, Eric Bieniemy has accepted the Texans interview request, and is in fact interviewing today.

The league decided to give permission for teams to go ahead and do virtual interviews with candidates from the four remaining teams this week rather than making them wait.

PLEASE take the job if offered Eric so the Huddle can get on with their lives!

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Fans sometimes underestimate how much relationships play into these things.

The Garappole angle I find interesting, I know the GM at the Texans has a history with him, but it also seems like the 49ers are looking to move on from him.  Do you really want to stake your franchise to him?

If I'm the Texans I'm going to take my time and evaluate the QBs coming out in the draft (Lance, Fields, and Wilson) and once I decide which ones of those I like that will help me determine which trade packages look the most appealing.  If I only like one of them then the Jets look a lot more appealing than anyone else.

Probably depends on what Caserio thinks of him.

He's had a chance to view Jimmy Garoppolo on the team and Sam Darnold as a division rival. He has informed opinions on both.

what if Watson gets dealt post draft? we could trade back in the 1st this year and maybe a second time. grab a 1st and 2nd next year aby continuing to trade back. 

that way we can still land a few offensive linemen this year in the draft and then next years draft we have (2) first and (2) seconds and send those to Houston?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

PLEASE take the job if offered Eric so the Huddle can get on with their lives!

Someone else said it's possible that even if he completely bombs his interview, the Texans might hire him anyway just to try and put out the fires.

Breer also raised a good point. If they interview Bieniemy and then don't hire him, that could piss Watson off even further because he could see it as just a lame attempt at placating him.

It's very possible that the job is his if he wants it.