• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

6 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

If you're the Dolphins, how do you not at least offer Tua, #3 and next year's #1 for Watson? And if you're the Panthers, how do you outbid that without completely ruining your chances of building a complete team?

In the off chance Miami decides not to offer a trade and Watson decides he would refuse a trade to the Jets, maybe there's an offer that could make sense. I like Teddy, the 8th pick, and an extra 1 and 2 as my max offer. Or if they don't want Teddy, you can leave him out. But since we're paying his signing bonus, you're talking about a mediocre bridge for whoever they draft at 8 for like $17 million that they can cut with no dead cap. 

Why would you give up draft capital when you have a young QB on a rookie deal? 

If anything, Houston would have to give Miami picks, Miami isn’t going to flip QBs lol

4 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

If you're the Dolphins, how do you not at least offer Tua, #3 and next year's #1 for Watson? And if you're the Panthers, how do you outbid that without completely ruining your chances of building a complete team?

In the off chance Miami decides not to offer a trade and Watson decides he would refuse a trade to the Jets, maybe there's an offer that could make sense. I like Teddy, the 8th pick, and an extra 1 and 2 as my max offer. Or if they don't want Teddy, you can leave him out. But since we're paying his signing bonus, you're talking about a mediocre bridge for whoever they draft at 8 for like $17 million that they can cut with no dead cap. 

The Dolphins are better off not making that deal.  They have amazing draft capital and Tua is better than most people think.

The Jets have an amazing package to offer but does Watson nix that?  Anyway...seriously starting to think that Watson ends up starting for Houston next year.  

6 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

The problem we have is we can’t really offer a QB.  At 8 they aren’t guaranteed to be able to draft a QB they might like. 
To me the Jets and Dolphins can easily offer the best packages. 

2 minutes ago, Pantherzack179812 said:

Why would you give up draft capital when you have a young QB on a rookie deal? 

If anything, Houston would have to give Miami picks, Miami isn’t going to flip QBs lol

Because some people consider Watson a top 3 QB in the league, and as of now Tua hasn’t proven a thing, if anything there is some concern he won’t be as good as advertised. 

21 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

A lot of that money hasn’t been payed out yet.
Also if he refuses to play they might can treat that like a retirement at which point they maybe could go after some of the signing bonus he has already received. 

He made 29 million dollars last year. He makes a full forty million if he is on the roster in April. Doesn’t even have to play a down. Thanks the structure of the contract. As I said before it’s an awful contract.

also, Watson isn’t retiring so they can’t treat it like retirement. 

Edited by TheCasillas

9 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

So two 1’s and a 2nd? And please take our mistake who has a 10M guaranteed base salary? That’s a dial tone 10 seconds into the phone call. 

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

He made 29 million dollars last year. He makes a full forty million if he is on the roster in April. Doesn’t even have to play a down. Thanks the structure of the contract. As I said before it’s an awful contract.

The $40m isn’t this year.

Also that 29m was mostly a signing bonus. I know if a player retires before their contract is over they can go after signing bonus.  If he refused to play they might can treat it like retirement and go after that.

That future $40m might also be voided if he retires, but I would have to read the actually contract to know for sure. 

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

The $40m isn’t this year.

Also that 29m was mostly a signing bonus. I know if a player retires before their contract is over they can go after signing bonus.  If he refused to play they might can treat it like retirement and go after that.

That future $40m might also be voided if he retires, but I would have to read the actually contract to know for sure. 

The 40mil is the total from Last April to this April, it includes the 29mm. As for going after the money, as long as Watson shows up to the required events, the Texans can’t do anything to take the money back. Watson would have to sit out and not show up. 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

The 40mil is the total from Last April to this April, it includes the 29mm. As for going after the money, as long as Watson shows up to the required events, the Texans can’t do anything to take the money back. Watson would have to sit out and not show up. 

Exactly, he has to show up.  Everyone keeps talking like he can just stay home. 

So he just refuses to enter the game? I’m not sure how that would be viewed in contract law. Sounds like a retirement to me.

He could fake an injury, that could get messy for everyone. 

Don’t get me wrong, he definitely has some leverage and can force their hand but he could also lose out on money and reputation in this. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Why would Houston even consider Bridgewater?  We, as casual fans, knows he sucks.  Do you think Houston lives in a bubble and would be willing to take on his contract to be a backup?

We might get away with 2 firsts and a 2nd.  Mostly because teams are going to low ball Houston because regardless Watson won't play another snap for them. (or so he says).  

Any NFC team has another variable that Houston might consider.  Being AFC you have the opportunity tot face the same team every year, depending on placement, and at a minimum every 3 years.  While an NFC team will only face Houston once every four years.   

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Rockahype said:

And the Texans played 10 games against good playoff teams while in or recovering from the BoB $hit$torm.

Watson led the league in passing yards, threw for 33/7 and 70% comp with ONE 1000yd receiver. 

Against 7 playoff teams Teddy threw for 1000 fewer yards and a 15/11 ratio with TWO 1000yd receivers. 

Hmmmm! And they finished the season with a 4-12 record. So he is supposed to be a Savior for the franchise after we give up so much there will be no decent team behind him to support his efforts? I cannot for the life of me see how this could work to our advantage in the long run.