• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting Mock from The Draft Network

kungfoodude

Carolina_Panthers_logo.svg.png
Panthers

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

LB, Notre Dame

Carolina receives: 20th overall pick (2021); 1st round pick (2022); 3rd round pick (2022)

Chicago receives: 8th overall pick (2021)

This is a big trade-back for the Panthers, who should be fully aware at this stage of the limitations of their roster. They have needs… well, they have needs pretty much everywhere. It may be a tough pill to swallow, electing to trade out of the quarterback pick, but they have at least another year for Teddy Bridgewater, and with this trade, enough capital to get aggressive for a quarterback in next year’s draft or on the trade market.

At this stage, they go for an excellent foil to Shaq Thompson and Jeremy Chinn: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. Owusu-Koramoah is the ideal overhang defender for college-esque defenses, playing at a box safety’s size, but with excellent instincts and quickness to affect plays quickly at the line of scrimmage. He’ll play in the box, freeing up Chinn to play free safety on base downs, and work out over the slot against spread sets. Great fit.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-solak-1.0

This is an extremely interesting scenario but it is a distinct possibility if we decide that our QB options at 8 aren't what we want. I will say the idea of snagging an extra 1st and 3rd in 2022 is pretty appealing.

Some other tibits I found interesting:

Falcons

Rashawn Slater

OT, Northwestern

Okay, everybody calm down.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell

So I’m thinking there’s a good chance that Slater goes ahead of Sewell come draft day. That’s not how I have them stacked on my board—though I love both—but that could be how this goes.

The new Atlanta GM looks to be Terry Fontenot, who comes from the New Orleans tree. That Saints front office has drafted a trench player in the first round of five of their last six drafts—and in 2019, when they didn’t have a first-round pick, they took Erik McCoy in the second. Four of those trench picks have been offensive linemen, as New Orleans poured talent into a seemingly solid offensive line, and to their benefit—they have a top-three OL in the league.

Interesting to hear some other opinions on Sewell not being a surefire thing or even the #1 prospect at LT.

Dolphins

Micah Parsons

LB, Penn State

Lower than we usually see for Parsons? I honestly think this is about where he ends up.

Bucky Brooks made public some of the concerns that exist with Parsons’ football commitment earlier this week, and maturity levels are something that teams take very seriously before they start making 20-year-olds multi-millionaires. Each team will have their own opinion of Parsons—but if he does have maturity issues, he would benefit from a landing spot with the Dolphins, who have one of football’s consummate leaders in Brian Flores at head coach.

This is the first I have heard about Huddle favorite Micah Parsons having some commitment to football concerns. I must say, that would be a MASSIVE red flag for me if that ends up being the case. I had heard about some potential character concerns which aren't as big of a deal but I really don't want any more guys that just don't care about football. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not opposed to it at all if we arent sold on Lance. An extra 1st from the Bears next year could end up being in the 12-22 range. An extra 1st next year would help us move up if there was a QB we do like then. 

Honestly, an extra first with the Bears could also be a top 10 pick. 

I'm just confused at the logic. There is a mobile prototypical QB with great measurables and a modern-style (though there are weaknesses) in Lance sitting at 8. 

Why would we trade down 12 spots in order to load up on future draft picks to then leverage next year in order to move up for a QB?

Seems like an odd angle to take that he is essentially saying that Lance is not "the guy" for Carolina at 8.

Would make more sense to draft Lance and have him learn behind Teddy for 2021, then making that move a year later and with Teddy holding down our cap for '22.

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I'm just confused at the logic. There is a mobile prototypical QB with great measurables and a modern-style (though there are weaknesses) in Lance sitting at 8. 

Why would we trade down 12 spots in order to load up on future draft picks to then leverage next year in order to move up for a QB?

Seems like an odd angle to take that he is essentially saying that Lance is not "the guy" for Carolina at 8.

Would make more sense to draft Lance and have him learn behind Teddy for 2021, then making that move a year later and with Teddy holding down our cap for '22.

I think he is basically parroting what some of the Huddle has been saying, with the roster being what it is, it may make sense to build that before we try to gamble on a franchise QB. 

Personally, I don't think the coaching staff feels that way. But, we also have no idea what our staff and front office thinks about a guy like Lance, either.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Honestly, an extra first with the Bears could also be a top 10 pick. 

It could, I was just putting it middle of the road. 

4 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

If we didnt like Lance it would make sense to move. 

Fans severely overhype prospects.  Sewell might very well be the best OT prospect of 10 years but that doesn't mean he is twice the prospect as the second LT in the draft.  

Fans almost think in a Binary manner, Sewell is guaranteed to be an all pro and everyone else is guaranteed to be a bust, it doesn't work like that.  Sewell, according to a lot of people, has the best chance to be very good, the next guy on the list also has a good chance but just slightly less.  

Apparently there are some evaluators who believe someone else has a slightly higher chance of being good.

Just now, AU-panther said:

Fans severely overhype prospects.  Sewell might very well be the best OT prospect of 10 years but that doesn't mean he is twice the prospect as the second LT in the draft.  

Fans almost think in a Binary manner, Sewell is guaranteed to be an all pro and everyone else is guaranteed to be a bust, it doesn't work like that.  Sewell, according to a lot of people, has the best chance to be very good, the next guy on the list also has a good chance but just slightly less.  

Apparently there are some evaluators who believe someone else has a slightly higher chance of being good.

Interestingly enough, both Jeremiah and Zierlein like Slater more than Sewell, which blew my mind. 

I LOVE Slater for us at 8. More so, DJ and Zierlein are two of the most respected analysts out there, so it's not just some rando trying to get click bait with an absurd take. It will be interesting to see how the OT1 race goes leading up to the draft. 

Archived