• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be upset with an all O-line / D-line / LB draft

TheBigKat

watching teams succeed in the playoffs it starts with:

Run the ball

Get after the quarterback

Solid interior D play

Carolina is DEPLETED on the O-line and unless you have a SUPERSTAR QB who can make an average QB look amazing then no matter who you have at QB won't matter. 

Carolina is LOADED with skilled offensive pieces (Robby, CMC, DJ and the soon to depart Samuel) what they needed the most is a clean pocket

LT- has not been addressed in ages, in this team's entire existence our only stable LT was Gross. If Sewell drops beyond 3, you go up and get him

LG/RG- can be addressed with your street FAs, needle in haystack players

C- Paradis graded 63.4, given his contract the easier play is for a late round C this year to replace him next year

RT- Moton.... guys like him aren't easily found

Onto the D-line

Carolina has the composition in the making of a ferocious D-line, something to the likes of Peppers/Rucker/Jenkins/Buckner or Hardy/Johnson good!

DE- set with YGM and Burns

DT- bye to KK, need to build with a pass rushing DT to pair with El Toro Brown and Kerr is your rotational DT (this year's version of Kyle Love)

ILB- complete mess, if Sewell can't be had and Micah is on the board, that's your guy. The Panthers have been snake bitten by having amazingly talented ILB play lost too early to injury (Beason/Kuech/Morgan). We need a bruiser in the middle, an enforcer who can learn from Kuech on reading plays

While drafting a QB is essential, this team CAN compete without a rookie QB. You build a team this year and if Teddy B can't wield the team to the playoffs in 2021 season then you pull a KC/Phi/BAL/Buffalo next year to pull off something like this

• Josh Allen — Buffalo Bills sent their own 2018 first rounder (No. 12 overall) to move up to seventh overall, also giving up two second-round picks and getting the No. 255 overall pick from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Lamar Jackson — Baltimore Ravens gave up a second- and a fourth-round pick in 2018, along with their 2019 second-round pick, to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for the No. 32 overall pick in 2018, along with Philly’s fourth-round selection.
  • Chiefs surrendered two first-round picks (one in 2017 and one in 2018), as well as a third-round pick, to the Bills to move up to the No. 10 spot to grab Mahomes.

Giving away that kind of draft capital from now and the core of the team isn't solid yet makes no sense to me

Thoughts?

give me oregon's left tackle then roll with it. or move moton to left tackle, draft a right tackle. paradis has got to go, def draft someone late to fill that roll they'll be around. We need a corner opposite jackson. someone tall and physical. 

Would I be upset?  Probably not.  It would mean whoever is available at QB when we pick is not somebody Rhule and company really want.  No need to reach, nobody is expecting a Super Bowl run in 2021.

Whether Parsons would be my pick at #8 or not depends on who goes in picks #1-7.  Somebody ahead of us is going to draft Sewell.  That would strike my #1 choice, assuming Lawrence lasts about 30 seconds into the first round. 

I keep an eye on thedraftnetwork prospect rankings (for better or worse), and if you assume the top 7 prospects go in the top 7 spots (which never, ever happens), we are looking at a choice of Pitts (#8 on their list), Darrisaw, Farley, Lance, Surtain, or Parsons being available (in that order).  Any of them would fit a position of need. 

I mean, all the teams in the playoffs have QBs too minus Washington and Chicago. It starts there. You can improve your team everywhere like you said, but if you don’t have a QB, who cares? 

Look at the last 4 teams in and their QBs.... Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and Allen. You can succeed with depletion on most of those areas. You can’t without an elite QB. Not in today’s NFL. 

So to answer your question, no. I want a franchise QB and this is the year to get it. 

5 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

I mean, all the teams in the playoffs have QBs too minus Washington and Chicago. It starts there. You can improve your team everywhere like you said, but if you don’t have a QB, who cares? 

Look at the last 4 teams in and their QBs.... Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, and Allen. You can succeed with depletion on most of those areas. You can’t without an elite QB. Not in today’s NFL. 

So to answer your question, no. I want a franchise QB and this is the year to get it. 

So you are willing to give up current draft capital this year for that QB not named Lawrence/Fields/Wilson?

Or would you rather build out the team core and next year blow that kind of draft capital?

Just now, TheBigKat said:

So you are willing to give up current draft capital this year for that QB not named Lawrence/Fields/Wilson?

Or would you rather build out the team core and next year blow that kind of draft capital?

Me personally, I want Lance. I feel he has a chance to be there at 8. If our coaches and Fitterer don’t think he will and are totally sold on a QB, I don’t mind trading the draft capital, no. 

I don’t want to end up in 3-4 years like a team like the Bears, WFT, Dolphins, etc who are elite at most positions except the most important. If a QB you love is there or in striking distance, you go get him. The teams above that need a QB are going to have to give up a hell of a lot more than we would if we trade with say The Bengals and just move up 3 spots. 

I would not be upset. I absolutely believe we need a true starting QB, but I don't like the idea of mortgaging the future on someone that still might not pan out. If he's there, take him, but don't give away a bunch of picks to do it. Kansas City was a really good team with an okay QB. Getting Mahomes was what made them complete. We're nowhere close to that yet. I am okay with trying to be competitive with Teddy for one more year if we can build the team through the draft to the point where once we get our QB of the future he's basically plug and play. 

3 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I would not be upset. I absolutely believe we need a true starting QB, but I don't like the idea of mortgaging the future on someone that still might not pan out. If he's there, take him, but don't give away a bunch of picks to do it. Kansas City was a really good team with an okay QB. Getting Mahomes was what made them complete. We're nowhere close to that yet. I am okay with trying to be competitive with Teddy for one more year if we can build the team through the draft to the point where once we get our QB of the future he's basically plug and play. 

KC was a playoff team with Alex Smith, they weren't sitting in the low teens when they moved up for Mahomes. I definately love their model of building

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

If one of the top QBs or Sewell doesn’t make it to #8 and Parsons or Surtain are BPA, you run that card to the podium. You can never go wrong going BPA. Afterward, we definitely need to give attention to OL.

How often does the perceived "BPA" end up actually being the BPA on an NFL field?

Archived