• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

COMPENSATORY PICK update

TheSpecialJuan

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Nope. Not going to let you get away with that super generic not a real response.

We were 5-11 and lost a ton of FAs. We were 6-18 since Cam fell apart and he was let go. We didn’t have immediate needs, so throwing $81M at FAs (and that’s assuming cuts) and should have been cuts was done by a lame duck GM when no one thought we could compete. We finished 5-11 again and that’s due to some solid rookie play and coaching up a much less talented squad.

You can’t just fall back to the can’t second guess moves mantra all the time. If you are going to say comp picks don’t matter in a rebuild then you have to say why. I think they are crucial to filling out long term needs. There are tons of mid round OL staring in the NFL so having the ability to choose 4 IOL from the 3rd to 6th and still having your normal 7 picks is a huge advantage towards having another draft where you pull 4 starters. We are in a rebuild. Right now we don’t have our QB of the future and still have tons of holes. Draft picks are how you actually fill needs.

Did we fill our needs with Teddy, Robbie, Okung, Short, Weatherly, Roberts, Miller, Apple, Burris, Kerr and De Valve? Robbie and Kerr look like they could be long term holds but guess what, they are both only signed through 2021 and Kerr will be 31 before next season. So really, all those FAs got us to 5-11 again and only Robbie “could” be part of a long term plan If extended.

We need to build through the draft and we threw away 3rd and 5th round picks to go for it and while you don’t want to second guess, I absolutely will. Comp picks for us in rebuild are a necessity, not just a something to consider because the alternative in 2020 was expensive FAs. Our FAs this year pale in comparison which is why this year was the chance to get a bucket load of picks.

You have tunnel vision! No franchise is going to tank a season or not try to field a competitive team. We were attempting to win, not "throw away picks." It's not rocket science!

The rebuild effectively began with the hiring of Rhule, and is currently happening as we speak.

I'm not interested in micro-analyzing every move and essentially crying over spilled milk. That's your thing! They do what they do, and I have to live with it and hope for the best. My thing is trying to understand why certain moves are made, but I am not looking for perfection because I know it doesn't exist! Hindsight is 20/20, but I am wise enough to know that we have to live in the present, even as we look forward to a not so clear future.

Football is a gamble! Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose. But while you're trying to win, or just survive, comp picks which may or may not happen aren't necessarily the priority! That's just the way it is.

33 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep, just try to survive and you get what we got, another 5-11 season where we are hunting for the same stuff over and over again and may not be able to get a good enough QB. Also, plenty of teams maximize their comp picks as part of fielding a less than competitive team. Miami just did it. The Jets just did it. The Jags as well. Obvious that they weren’t trying to compete by trading away players for picks and rolling over a ton of cap. Doesn’t mean their players and coaches don’t try each week. Miami seems to have worked out with a new coach and heck they could easily afford Watson or stick with Tua. No idea if the Jags or Jets will work out. No idea if ours will work out. Probably depends on which QBs we all end up with and which coaches end up being solid.

I’m not crying over anything but I do like analyzing what we did or didn’t do to see what worked. I’m just not throwing the blinders on and acting like we did the right thing trying to survive and it is what it is. We had a pretty shitty off season by our lame duck GM and it cost us a lot in terms of future competitiveness. It hamstrung our GM and coach, simple as that. Will they overcome it, who knows but our rebuild is weaker in 2021 than it easily could have been.

I'm not acting like we did the "right thing", I'm saying, "It is what it is." Obviously, we have done some wrong things, but, some things don't have to be right or wrong, just part of doing business. I'm not obsessing over it either way! I'm just glad when things fall our way based on decisions that the FO makes!

Talking about compensatory picks is a cart before the horse argument.

You know what our real issue is?  Hitting on our draft picks in the first place.  The more draft picks you hit on to begin with, the greater your chances of losing someone who becomes a free agent.

Teams that draft well tend to get more compensatory picks over time because they bring in a lot of talent.  The salary cap "forces" the talent to spread out across the league to the extent that it can, which is what triggers those compensatory picks.

It generates a snowball effect for teams that draft well.  You get more picks, therefore bring in more players, and when drafting well, you bring in more players which you cannot keep all of.  So you lose some players, but get compensatory picks for them, taking you back to the beginning of the cycle where you bring in more good players.

The bottom line is we simply need to draft better top to bottom, and the compensatory picks will take care of themselves.

7 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Remind me, how do we not have a 7th round pick? 

We traded a conditional 7th round pick to the Bills for OT Millhouse? or something a couple years ago.  The dude played a handful of snaps at LT and we ended up cutting him, IIRC.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

16 hours ago, Basbear said:

Williams was the answer for RT, why in hellsworld did we not put Moton at LT and keep Williams at RT??

Another mistake in the long list of mistakes panthers made.

I got another one that never gets talked about too, fug you Herniay

suck my dick middle finger GIF

Sometimes right tackles dont make good left tackles

18 hours ago, Basbear said:

Williams was the answer for RT, why in hellsworld did we not put Moton at LT and keep Williams at RT??

Another mistake in the long list of mistakes panthers made.

I got another one that never gets talked about too, fug you Herniay

Not playing Moton on the left continues to bewilder. When Ronnie Stanley went down for the Ravens, they slid Orlando Brown from RT to LT with little issue.

2 hours ago, trueblade said:

Not playing Moton on the left continues to bewilder. When Ronnie Stanley went down for the Ravens, they slid Orlando Brown from RT to LT with little issue.

The only thing I can come up with is Moton must not want to play LT.  Because I can see no reason why they didn't at least try.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1