• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mitch Kupchak

Shocker

Damn solid. However his drafting leaves a bit to be desired. I wanted MPJ over Bridges based on potential. When he's played, he's shown 10X more potential than Bridges. The whole fan base wanted MPJ over Bridges at the time. Rozier signing on paper is cheap compared to what some other teams are paying for that production (see Kelly Oubre if you want to puke). Letting Kemba walk was a smart move because he can't lead a team. The Hayward pickup so far is a decent deal. Releasing Batum was flat out moronic though. I'll go B so far for his tenure. If Ball turns out to be a superstar, A+ easy. 

• Pie 1

Really good so far, and he's the main reason I'm excited about the Hornets' future. Ball was an obvious pick, but Kup has done pretty well with our other later 1st rounders, and the contributions we've been getting from 2nd rounders have been great. Hayward was a good signing, as was Rozier. No issues with Mitch so far.

• Pie 2

B

2018 Draft- his first Bridges is just another guy, and trading SGA for him (regardless of the prearranged nature of the trade, its a bad look. You never want to give up the best player in a deal).. Graham saved his rear here. 

2019 Draft- His best so far. PJ is solid if unspectacular. Martin and McDaniels have been useful pieces 

2020 Draft- Ball was a layup- you shouldn't get extra credit for nailing a #3 pick (who was widely viewed as the best player in the draft) . Jury is out on the 2nd rounders

Kemba Walker- As mentioned not trading him at the deadline was a huge mistake. Rozier is fine (but could have also been signed as a FA if you were hell bent on having that player). You ended up getting 50 cents on the dollar from a commodity standpoint by holding on and letting him walk. That might have been MJ's call, but it was a bad one regardless.   

Free Agency- I like Gordon Hayward as a signing. I don't hate Gordon Hayward at 30 million per.. I do Hate Gordon Hayward at 30 mill plus the 27 million additional over 3 years stretching Batum to that was required to sign GH. This team wasn't a SF away from competing for the East. And hurting the cap for 2 additional seasons is WTF move considering there are still several gaping holes on the roster. They are a better team today, but I think at the expense of future cap flexibility. 

The fact this team doesn't have a big that can play dead in a cowboy movie is a problem. 

Charlotte will unfortunately never be a big FA destination, you need to hit on all your 1sts and be savvy with your cap. I can't say either have been done historically, and Mitch hasn't been spectacular in either regard. 

Edited by trueblue

2 hours ago, trueblue said:

B

2018 Draft- his first Bridges is just another guy, and trading SGA for him (regardless of the prearranged nature of the trade, its a bad look. You never want to give up the best player in a deal).. Graham saved his rear here. 

2019 Draft- His best so far. PJ is solid if unspectacular. Martin and McDaniels have been useful pieces 

2020 Draft- Ball was a layup- you shouldn't get extra credit for nailing a #3 pick (who was widely viewed as the best player in the draft) . Jury is out on the 2nd rounders

Kemba Walker- As mentioned not trading him at the deadline was a huge mistake. Rozier is fine (but could have also been signed as a FA if you were hell bent on having that player). You ended up getting 50 cents on the dollar from a commodity standpoint by holding on and letting him walk. That might have been MJ's call, but it was a bad one regardless.   

Free Agency- I like Gordon Hayward as a signing. I don't hate Gordon Hayward at 30 million per.. I do Hate Gordon Hayward at 30 mill plus the 27 million additional over 3 years stretching Batum to that was required to sign GH. This team wasn't a SF away from competing for the East. And hurting the cap for 2 additional seasons is WTF move considering there are still several gaping holes on the roster. They are a better team today, but I think at the expense of future cap flexibility. 

The fact this team doesn't have a big that can play dead in a cowboy movie is a problem. 

Charlotte will unfortunately never be a big FA destination, you need to hit on all your 1sts and be savvy with your cap. I can't say either have been done historically, and Mitch hasn't been spectacular in either regard. 

for a team that that has missed alot of layups, we celebrated the layups

obviously he doing so much better than he predecessors.. luv him

but let me just point out the few dark spots:
1 - not being able to find a team to off-load Batum's expiring
2 - not adequately addressing the Center position this offseason
(two 2nd Rnd centers is not adequately addressing the position)

..there are a few more but decided that they were too nit-picky to list..
I can't believe those 2 are the worst critiques I can say about a Hornets GM.. it brings tears to my eyes 🥺

On 1/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, trueblue said:

B

I was gonna poo this but just decided to say I disagree with most of it

1 hour ago, trueblue said:

Terrific dialogue. 

what exactly do you disagree with?

bridges is not just another guy...he is rounding into a very valuable 6th man

mcdaniels isnt useful...martin is barely above that

hayward is the best FA signing we have ever had...and his salary is not unreasonable...assuming he stays healthy

not buying the FA destination bad stuff about CLT, although many will disagree...all it takes is cash $$