• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBC Sports Mock Draft 5.0 says the Panthers get...

Zod

Umm who made this mock? Its unrealistic to think Wilson falls this far. How often do top 10 qbs just land around 8? Even last year and most years Andrew luck and rg3 when qbs are within the spectrum of possible franchise qb they normally go top 2. I could see a bidding war to get the second best qb on the board.

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Umm who made this mock? Its unrealistic to think Wilson falls this far. How often do top 10 qbs just land around 8? Even last year and most years Andrew luck and rg3 when qbs are within the spectrum of possible franchise qb they normally go top 2. I could see a bidding war to get the second best qb on the board.

Last year?  Last year Tua and Herbert went 5/6.  Daniel Jones was the 2nd QB taken at #6 the year before.  Josh Allen was taken at #7 the year before that.  Mahomes/Watson were taken at #10/#12 the year before that.  It's not very uncommon for one of the top QB prospects to land in the #8 range in any given year.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I would be shocked if ATL goes Fields. You might as well trade Ryan if you do. 

Not necessarily. 2022 and 2023 are the obvious times that the Falcons could get out of his contract(although the dead cap will be painful). If you bring in a younger guy to sit for a year or so, you can always cut or trade Ryan. 

IMO, they aren't likely to do that. I just don't see Ryan as the reason they cannot get over the hump. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

48 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Last year?  Last year Tua and Herbert went 5/6.  Daniel Jones was the 2nd QB taken at #6 the year before.  Josh Allen was taken at #7 the year before that.  Mahomes/Watson were taken at #10/#12 the year before that.  It's not very uncommon for one of the top QB prospects to land in the #8 range in any given year.

Of  course there are variables. But the second best qb that are believed to be franchise qbs go top 2. Daniel Jones had holes in his game like arm strength.  Mohomes also wasn't believed to be the player we know. He had accuracy issues in a pro stat qb system at Texas tech. That air raid offense produced many stocking stat stuffers. 

The sure fire elite guys what were assuming Wilson will be the second qb off the board should be gone. I dout  2 wide receivers are picked before he comes off the board.

3 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Been screaming this.  Unless something WILD happens, 4 QBs going in the Top 10 is rare.  Hell, 3 is rare.  

Dream world we get Deshaun.  Reality world...sit at 8 and let the draft fall to us. 

Watson, who went 10th after having an amazing year and winning the natty. You can get great qb prospects in the 5-10 range too 

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Of  course there are variables. But the second best qb that are believed to be franchise qbs go top 2. Daniel Jones had holes in his game like arm strength.  Mohomes also wasn't believed to be the player we know. He had accuracy issues in a pro stat qb system at Texas tech. That air raid offense produced many stocking stat stuffers. 

The sure fire elite guys what were assuming Wilson will be the second qb off the board should be gone. I dout  2 wide receivers are picked before he comes off the board.

I think the point of contention here is with the presupposition that Wilson is a surefire elite QB.  Those types of question marks you highlighted in your first paragraph with those other prospects, certainly exist in some capacity with Wilson too.  Not the same question marks, but things like his injury history, level of competition, unorthodox mechanics, etc.  He is nowhere near a perfect prospect.  So teams will weigh those risks against his enticing traits and that'll decide where he's placed on their draft boards.

What also plays I to this is the strength of next years QB class, which, if you listen to the "experts", is not strong. So if a team has the potential need for a reset at the QB position, this is the year to do it. There are 12-15 teams that have that potential. 

TL to the Jags. Done. 

Jets may or may not take Fields/Wilson. 

Miami - not sold on Tua but likely not taking a QB. 1st potential trade partner for a QB needy team.

Atl - makes perfect sense to draft a QB. Sit under Ryan(36) and develop, jettison that co tract after next year and rebuild it all. 

Cincy - No QB unless Burrow suffers a major setback. Trade partner #2. 

Philly - doubtful, but with lots of holes could easily move to try to grab more picks

Det - Stafford will be expensive and they need a lot to compete. Could very easily accept the inevitable and just start over. 

Car - we need one too. 

That's 5/6 teams in front of us that could go QB. Not likely but could. And behind us sits

WFT, Dallas, NE, Denver, SF, NO, TB, Chicago, Colts, Vikings and Giants, all of whom could have reason to try and draft a franchise QB. 

Theres a lot of need and were talking about 4 top guys. Wilson may fall, he may not. But to pretend like there arent a lot of teams looking at this QB crop and salivating is wishful thinking. 

• Pie 1