• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Washington Football Team finalizing deal with Marty Hurney

Zod

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

We always sucked on FA because Jerry Richardson was cheap as hell, not saying Hurney was great after first rd but might see him do ok in Washington. I’m hoping Fitterer will do great here, but don’t have high hopes with Tepper being involved so much. Hurney wasn’t the answer either, what I’m saying is let’s hope it gets better lol!

Tepper didn't force Rhule to take one of his guys at GM. Just the opposite, in fact.

That gives me hope.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I hope you don’t believe that, Tepper made the call who he wanted.

Albert Breer covered it yesterday.

Tepper wanted somebody that bought a different skill set. The analytics guys that were included in the search were his choice.

Matt Rhule wanted a talent evaluator that could help him build a roster.

After they went through the first set of candidates, they couldn't find anyone they agreed on so they decided to "reset" and add a couple of new interviews. One was a cap guy (Omar Khan) and the other was a scout (Fitterer).

They chose the scout. 

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Never felt that Marty was as bad in 2.0 as many here thought. I think he made some terrible decisions in 1.0 mainly over paying contracts.but I’ve understood most of his moves since he started as 2.0 and thought he’s done a decent job.

I know letting Bradberry walk and over paying Shaq looks terrible but honestly I didn’t want and still don’t want us paying too money for a luxury position CB’s are Luxuries. I think Shaq was just in the right place at the right time. If we didn’t resign him we were screwed more than we already were at LBer.

I agree that Hurney 2.0 was better than 1.0 on paper. We got some solid FAs and made some solid draft choices. Our last draft might have been our best ever. But a lot of that I put on Rhule, all out acquisitions last year...good and bad. 

The second paragraph I couldn’t disagree with more. CBs are absolutely vital in today’s game.  Far far moreso than LBs. Paying Shaq like a top tier LB was a mistake only slightly less ludicrous than paying Delhomme his last contract. We could have replaced Shaq with a 4th round LB or just signed a mediocre one in FA and got the same performance. Letting Bradberry walk was almost as stupid as not tagging Norman. Hopefully Fitterer and Rhule value the back end like the Seahawks did and not like our previous regimes. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I think it was clear that Ron liked protecting himself with people who weren’t top notch and a threat. Hire from within hand get a GM to do what you want.

I will absolutely be following their drafts.

Fair. Ron would have known Cowden from his time here, though.

Seriously, even last night after we heard the story, I still believed Washington would hire someone else and make Marty a consultant or something.

Then I wake up to this...wow.

11 minutes ago, LelouchBritannia said:

Y’all gonna have a fit when they succeed. Say what you want about Hurney but the guy NEVER missed in the first round....can’t say that about our current GM. Not hitting with our high draft pick can set us back years. Only time will tell what our future looks like.

Fuggin us with historically bad contracts for players that any other GM would have seen were not producing to that level, on the end of their career etc FAR FAR FAR FAR outweigh and crippled us more that hitting on picks in the first round! 

Hurney isnt the talent scout and drafts who the people that work for him tell are a good fit. However contract negotiations don't pass through as many hands.

So to say it shortly, he doesnt really get credit for the good things, but gets all the blame for the crap. Sucks in a way, but when you are making that level of bank in salary you really only need to have the job for a single year and you are set for life.  I dont even understand why he wants to bother with it. Retire and enjoy your millions Hurney, or otherwise go to the Saints or Falcons