• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Washington Football Team finalizing deal with Marty Hurney

Zod

4 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So you believe that Hurney walked in with a signed TB contract and gave it to Rhule? Just deal with it.  And you think he wouldn’t have been fired immediately? 

This is a perfect example of the mental gymnastics it takes to make the current coaches blameless. Not how someone with complete control has little to no accountability. 

So Tepper let Hurney go into "recruiting mode" when interviewing Rhule, let Hurney veto Rhule's desire to trade back in the first and draft Brown, (which seems like a good move, credit to Hurney if true) but forbids him to sign a QB? I don't think I'm the one doing mental gymnastics, chief. So why was Hurney poo canned at all if he never made any decisions?

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

So you believe that Hurney walked in with a signed TB contract and gave it to Rhule? Just deal with it.  And you think he wouldn’t have been fired immediately? 

This is a perfect example of the mental gymnastics it takes to make the current coaches blameless. Not how someone with complete control has little to no accountability. 

That's not even remotely what he said. You are seeing what you want to see. All he is saying is Hurney was the loudest voice in the room for TB, not that he was the only voice. 

I will say it does look like a typical Hurney homerun swing. GM on the last year of his contract, likely not to get an extension or another job offer unless he pulls off something miraculous. Enter TB. A previous starting NFL QB that had the potential for a big performance. If this team exceeds expectations and finishes 8-8 or 9-7, Marty might get another 3-4 years and he looks like a genius. If it fails he's out of a job and likely unemployed. Same outcome. Only one had a chance to save his job. 

3 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

So Tepper let Hurney go into "recruiting mode" when interviewing Rhule, let Hurney veto Rhule's desire to trade back in the first and draft Brown, (which seems like a good move, credit to Hurney if true) but forbids him to sign a QB? I don't think I'm the one doing mental gymnastics, chief. So why was Hurney poo canned at all if he never made any decisions?

First, if he, or any GM signed a starting QB without consulting the HC, they would be fired. One makes 9M and the other about 1M. For a reason. But if it helps your imagination, have at it. 

Has everything you have been told from the staff been true? Let’s not pretend it has been. Nor would it be for any staff. 

Maybe he’s getting canned so someone could help Rhule not waste around 70M of cap room on a rebuild this time. Not going to make a numbers guy like Tepper happy doing that. 

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

That's not even remotely what he said. You are seeing what you want to see. All he is saying is Hurney was the loudest voice in the room for TB, not that he was the only voice. 

I will say it does look like a typical Hurney homerun swing. GM on the last year of his contract, likely not to get an extension or another job offer unless he pulls off something miraculous. Enter TB. A previous starting NFL QB that had the potential for a big performance. If this team exceeds expectations and finishes 8-8 or 9-7, Marty might get another 3-4 years and he looks like a genius. If it fails he's out of a job and likely unemployed. Same outcome. Only one had a chance to save his job. 

How is it not? “He showed him the contract and he pooped his pants like the rest of us” That means it’s final. It’s why I asked for clarification. How was that not a  taake it and like it scenario? 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

How is it not? “He showed him the contract and he pooped his pants like the rest of us” That means it’s final. It’s why I asked for clarification. How was that not a  taake it and like it scenario? 

Contract terms and bringing in a guy are 2 different things. Rhule likely has little if anything to do with the terms of a contract, not his job. He could have expected him at 3 yr/45mil with 20 guaranteed instead of 3yr/63m with 33 guaranteed structured the way it was. 

That's where Hurneys job of determining if a player is worth the contract comes into play. This is one of his weakest areas as GM, as history has shown us. He drastically overpays for mediocre talent. 

He could come back to Rhule and say for what TB wants, he wont bring that amount of value. Instead I can bring in X number of players instead. That doesn't feel like a Hurney decision with his future on the line. He needed a homerun to save his job. TB was the pitch. And Hurney struck out. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Contract terms and bringing in a guy are 2 different things. Rhule likely has little if anything to do with the terms of a contract, not his job. He could have expected him at 3 yr/45mil with 20 guaranteed instead of 3yr/63m with 33 guaranteed structured the way it was. 

That's where Hurneys job of determining if a player is worth the contract comes into play. This is one of his weakest areas as GM, as history has shown us. He drastically overpays for mediocre talent. 

He could come back to Rhule and say for what TB wants, he wont bring that amount of value. Instead I can bring in X number of players instead. That doesn't feel like a Hurney decision with his future on the line. He needed a homerun to save his job. TB was the pitch. And Hurney struck out. 

You really think it’s not Rhule job to to worry about contracts terms. Hurney threw the pitch. Rhule swung and missed. If you actually convince yourself that Hurney ever wanted him at all. I’m sure it much more convenient to believe Hurney went rogue on this single move. 

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I mean, if it wasn't about Bridgewater, then why did Hurney get fired?  If the team was competing hard and the rookies were playing well, then tell me what reason Tepper had to fire Hurney.

Hmm, let's see....who were by far the two most hated members of the Panthers this past season?  Teddy and Hurney, yes?  Boy, it would be awfully convenient if we could tie those two together somehow and inject new enthusiasm into the fanbase moving forward....darn....IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAY!!

*Enter RoaringRiot*

After Hurney was fired, he is conveniently fed this narrative from his source that Teddy was actually Hurney's signing....woah!  What a bombshell revelation!  What an effective way to wash the stench of the disastrous Teddy signing from Rhule/Brady moving forward.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense than the narrative you're pushing.  During the season, many people here thought it was plausible that Hurney was kept on this long only to be used as a scapegoat when the time was right.  That seems to be exactly what happened after three consecutive losing seasons.  Fortunately, scapegoating is only effective if you have a naïve audience who is willing to suspend all rational thought...unfortunately, that certainly appears to be us.

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You really think it’s not Rhule job to to worry about contracts terms. Hurney threw the pitch. Rhule swung and missed. If you actually convince yourself that Hurney ever wanted him at all. I’m sure it much more convenient to believe Hurney went rogue on this single move. 

I dont give a flying crap whether Hurney had anything to do with TB or not. He proved long ago he has no business as GM of a pop Warner team. He's not Bill O'Brian but they must have called each other for advice. How anyone defends him as a GM after having a success % worse than a weatherman is baffling.

• Beer 3