• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Jones thinks Deshaun to Carolina could happen.

Zod

The interesting thing for Houston is that cutting David Johnson should open up $7 mil for them (factoring in dead cap at $2m)

My untouchables would be Burns, Chinn, DJ, & Brown.  They are the key parts of position groups that thread together the new regime.

You have to almost open up the convo with what picks we're willing to give up, tell them who's on the table and play some hardball.  If they ask for CMC, then maybe we consider it.  I dunno

7 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

without getting into contract numbers, i don’t see why anybody would forbid moving CMC to get watson

you’re trading for a QB who, at only 25 years old, already has two seasons of playoff experience and a win under his belt, has put up huge passing numbers at the highest level of competition, and is already developed unlike drafting a QB in the first round which at 8 isn’t even guaranteed that we’re going to get a good one.

....and we’re freaking out bc it may cost us a guy who’s probably never going to hit 300 carries in one season

I don't think it is a matter of forbidding that move. I think almost every GM in the NFL without a franchise QB would gladly trade CMC(or any other elite RB) for a QB like Watson. The issue is that Houston has to want a player with a salary like that at a devalued position in the modern NFL. 

I don't really seen that as very likely considering they are already struggling with cap issues WITHOUT the impeding hit that a trade would cause. 

10 minutes ago, JJman Returns said:

I think a lot of you are forgetting that guys like CMC are what would make Watson want to play here. That’s the only way we get a deal done, by making him want to play for us. Because the Jets, Dolphins, Lions and Falcons can all offer way more. 

Keep in mind that the "offer made" may end up being one of the least relevant things about this trade(if it happens). Watson has the ability to veto any trade due to his no-trade clause. 

Frankly, it may not matter how sweet a deal the Jets could make. If Deshaun doesn't want to be a Jet.....he isn't going to be a Jet.

• Beer 2

28 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah trade ur star rb for Watson and then Watson has to do it all like Cam did. Yeah makes a whole lot of damn sense. Glad none of these people own the team.

Dude he's a RB. I get it, I love CMC but let's not act like Watson would be walking into a Cam situation. He'd have a legit #1 AND #2 (Cam never had this here) and even a poor mans CMC if we are able to somehow keep Samuel (which I do think would be impossible if we got Watson). 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, davos said:

The interesting thing for Houston is that cutting David Johnson should open up $7 mil for them (factoring in dead cap at $2m)

My untouchables would be Burns, Chinn, DJ, & Brown.  They are the key parts of position groups that thread together the new regime.

You have to almost open up the convo with what picks we're willing to give up, tell them who's on the table and play some hardball.  If they ask for CMC, then maybe we consider it.  I dunno

Making Burns and DJ untouchable also removes basically two of the three trade assets we have(BB, DJ and CMC). We love Chinn and we love Brown but those guys aren't terribly high on the positional value scale either. Elite pass rushers and potentially elite pass catchers do fall under that category. And CMC is just an elite player, so he is obviously included even though his contract situation is bad. 

The big benefit we may have is if Watson just WANTS to come to Carolina. If that happens(or if he leaks any sort of list of teams that he wants to play for) it IMMEDIATELY tanks the trade value for him. If he comes out and basically says, "I only want to play for the 49ers, Dolphins or Bears." 

Well, now you just have a three team race and the cost isn't going to be, "highest trade offer from a 10 team group." That is why this whole thing is so incredibly interesting, because of that no-trade clause. 

41 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

The Panthers should do whatever it takes to get Watson because Teddy ain't it.

Teddy ain't it for sure. But Watson should just be another potential option along with Fields, Lance and Wilson. One of those 4 and I'm happy. A rookie could be a better option depending on how much it would take to get Watson, but both options need to be considered. If we don't get one of those 4 I'd be upset with this offseason, even with Hurney fired.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Stop including players we as a fanbase don't like. That's not how it works. Stop putting Jackson, Teddy, etc. in your dream trade. Houston won't want them either. You need to first find a position Houston needs, then give up someone you don't want to lose. Brown, Chinn, Curtis, etc.

We can't trade a free agent. Curtis is a free agent. 

It's too early to say what they do or don't want. They have no head coach and their GM was just hired. Plus with Watson leaving(and it isn't a sure thing he is yet) I would think there could easily be an exodus of talent much like we saw after the 2019 season. It's hard to say what they do or don't want.