• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Jones thinks Deshaun to Carolina could happen.

Zod

10 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

RB's come and go, it's a constant. Franchise QB's like Watson do not. Stop thinking that this team would suffer if they traded CMC. Davis did an amazing job, this offense can run with any RB especially with Watson at the helm. I rather have Watson and X RB next year than Bridgewater/X-QB and CMC.  It's a no brainer if they decide to trade for Watson. CMC-YA!

We plugged in a JAG at RB and he still got 1000 all purpose yards. We'd still have two very good outside WRs and we could look for a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I generally disagree about that. I don't think he would be that successful. In fact, I remember reading an article around the time we signed him where they specifically did an analysis of him in slot and wide sets and his production was significantly lower and IIRC would have placed him in the bottom 10% of the WR's in the NFL for the time period they chose. I can't remember where I found that article, unfortunately or I would be happy to link it.

I think Panthers fans get too attached to his skills as a WR when in fact he isn't terribly different than a guy like Kamara or LT or Faulk. I cannot recall a specific example of a top RB being switched to slot WR or WR in general and becoming a top 20-30 player. If you have one, I'd be interested to check it out. 

That's kind of my point, we aren't being realistic about his value as a WR. It's likely tremendously lower than what we believe it to be. If you asked me straight up to take a slot WR/hybrid player and gave me CMC or Curtis Samuel....I am taking Samuel 100 out of 100 times. Same thing if you ask me about a pass catching RB, I'm taking CMC 100 out of 100. 

I personally think Kamara, LT, or Faulk could all be full time receivers if they put a year to it, especially working in the slot.  Great athletes with good hands, they could learn.

My point was that if you want to justify a RB having a large contract I think they have to be heavily involved in the passing game, and not just screens and check downs.  Weather or not he fits that criteria will be up to the coaching staff.

15 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I personally think Kamara, LT, or Faulk could all be full time receivers if they put a year to it, especially working in the slot.  Great athletes with good hands, they could learn.

My point was that if you want to justify a RB having a large contract I think they have to be heavily involved in the passing game, and not just screens and check downs.  Weather or not he fits that criteria will be up to the coaching staff.

Well the justification is probably irrelevant at this point. We are in the classic John Fox, "It is what it is" scenario. I don't think it makes a lot of sense at this juncture of his career(especially at the cost) to be making a position change. He is being paid like a feature back so we should utilize him as a feature of the offense when necessary. I would prefer his overall touches are reduced because we have more weapons to utilize in the offense in general. It remains to be seen if that will be the case.

I just hope this spell of injuries is not the classic post-high usage rate year drop off. 

Edited by kungfoodude

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

RB's come and go, it's a constant. Franchise QB's like Watson do not. Stop thinking that this team would suffer if they traded CMC. Davis did an amazing job, this offense can run with any RB especially with Watson at the helm. I rather have Watson and X RB next year than Bridgewater/X-QB and CMC.  It's a no brainer if they decide to trade for Watson. CMC-YA!

They won’t trade him, glad none of you are running the team

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We plugged in a JAG at RB and he still got 1000 all purpose yards. We'd still have two very good outside WRs and we could look for a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

He rushed for 650 yds he was so great. He sucked and is nowhere near CMC. Y’all are freaking insane to just want to throw CMC away like that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

We wouldn't suffer greatly losing CMC other than the cap implications of trading him the first year of his extension. That's the problem with trading him now

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

People need to move on with the idea that RB is an important position in the modern NFL. It's not. You can find productive RBs in the mid rounds these days.

Its only not an important position if you arent using him to his full potential  

this isnt traditional football where were putting a running back in the back field and just throwing him behind an OLine and using him as a battering ram

the NFL has turned into a matchup game where the best coordinators are the ones who move their players all over the field and put them in favorable matchups. You can put CMC in the backfield, the slot or the outside and hes going to be a matchup problem for any defense. You cant just look at their position and determine their value you have to look at their impact on the field and the dimensions they add to your offense. Mike Davis had productive numbers but you cant possibly think our offense was as versatile with him on the field as CMC. CMC gets paid less per year than Jarvis Landry and he has twice the impact on the field

I wanted to think of an analogy for this situation. The closest I got was telling someone they could buy 1000 lottery tickets and be certain one of those tickets wins the big Powerball and that person saying, “nah, I’d rather invest what I’d pay for the 1000 tickets into the stock market.” It simply doesn’t make a lot of sense being that you invest your money in order to be Powerball rich.

We have CMC in hopes that while we have him, we can find a QB who puts us in a position to contend for a Super Bowl. Or in this scenario we simply go directly to accomplishing that goal with the franchise QB and add a piece to get us there in a shorter time. The window is actually smaller for us to be successful with CMC than it is with DW. In a perfect world, we have both of them, but there is literally nothing to be accomplished by having CMC over DW.

2 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

He rushed for 650 yds he was so great. He sucked and is nowhere near CMC. Y’all are freaking insane to just want to throw CMC away like that.

4 yards a rush, 6 TDs, and only started in 12 games.

Giving up CMC is playing the long game. The fact is, CMC is a nice luxury. He's not a necessity. And that luxury is pricey. CMC isn't going to get better, so yearly his value is going to drop. Move on now, get high return. Move on later, little to no return

CMC doesn’t have many years at this elite level because of the position he plays. Watson could stay elite for the next decade. Not to mention the value the QB position carries. There is a reason the number one over all pick is almost always a QB. Franchises know an elite QB can hide a lot of weaknesses on a team. We almost won a Super Bowl with Cam and a few pieces.