• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK Short - did you know?

Zod

Just now, Doc Holiday said:

It didn’t extend his contract only moved his money around. Nobody complained when he signed his original.

So he dug the hole deeper but that's ok it's Marty?  And because nobody on this message board raised a stink about the first extension somehow relieves Marty from compounded it now?  You guys are going to go down swinging trying to make Marty something hes not and never was.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The first one yes, was against that one also.  But Marty compounded that mistake by extending him again.

Yea, he saved $9M in 2019 by doing so, which is what rolled over to 2020. The restructure added an extra $2M to his dead cap this year so instead of being roughly 9, it's 11. Not the huge blunder it's being made out to be. 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The first one yes, was against that one also.  But Marty compounded that mistake by extending him again.

When was it? Because the only contract extension reported by OTC or Sporttrac was in April 2017. It was negotiated after originally being given the Franchise Tag. No mention anywhere else that I can see after that. He was given a 5 year extension on April 17, 2017. On Sept 7, 2019 some salary was converted to bonus in order to clear some cap room but that wasn't an extension by any definition,

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

When was it? Because the only contract extension reported by OTC or Sporttrac was in April 2017. It was negotiated after originally being given the Franchise Tag. No mention anywhere else that I can see after that. He was given a 5 year extension on April 17, 2017. On Sept 7, 2019 some salary was converted to bonus in order to clear some cap room but that wasn't an extension by any definition,

Sporttrac?

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

So he dug the hole deeper but that's ok it's Marty?  And because nobody on this message board raised a stink about the first extension somehow relieves Marty from compounded it now?  You guys are going to go down swinging trying to make Marty something hes not and never was.

No, we are just pointing at facts. You said he extended Short. He didn't.  Nothing you say will change that.

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

He should not have done that period. Marty loved to move money around compounding our Cap woes.  KK should have been traded or release before the first contact but it is what it is.

51 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No, but if you sign the contract, you better play up to it.  His cap number doubles from last year to this year.  He has $16m guaranteed. 
A post June 1 cut saves the team $10m.

Throw in KK, who has a post June 1 cut figure of $14.5m.

Bridgewater is on the payroll either way through this season.

The nearly $25 million you would save by cutting KK and Shaq is not available during this free agency period, obviously.

Paradis could save us $8.5m in a post June 1 cut.

I say cut KK post June 1, and if anyone in camp comes close to Paradis and Thompson, cut them as well.  If we cut the three post June 1, then TB after this season, we could enter 2022 down $55m. 

Pretty sure you can only designate two for post-June 1.  The third you would have to wait until it's actually June.

I don't expect Shaq to get cut, either designated or in reality to June 1.  Shaq is solid, just not outstanding.  I honestly don't expect Paradis to get cut either.  Paradis was much better this year, but still average. 

While both have relatively high numbers, the chance that you will find a replacement of like value for what you SAVE is not very good.

Our cap isn't wonderful, but it's improving.  We only have about 30 players who would have ongoing cap ramifications if cut, out of 58 players under contract.  This coming season looks like the last one of "The Purge".

26 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Pretty sure you can only designate two for post-June 1.  The third you would have to wait until it's actually June.

I don't expect Shaq to get cut, either designated or in reality to June 1.  Shaq is solid, just not outstanding.  I honestly don't expect Paradis to get cut either.  Paradis was much better this year, but still average. 

While both have relatively high numbers, the chance that you will find a replacement of like value for what you SAVE is not very good.

Our cap isn't wonderful, but it's improving.  We only have about 30 players who would have ongoing cap ramifications if cut, out of 58 players under contract.  This coming season looks like the last one of "The Purge".

Shaq Thompson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Shaq has a $10m base salary this year, of which $8m becomes guaranteed in March.

I could see them either releasing him or asking him to take a pay cut before then.

People need to realize that most teams only really have a handful of guys making over $10m any given year in base salary.  You don't pay for that solid, that is what you pay for outstanding.

Cot damn Hurney is a GD moron. I will never ever understand how he was allow to make such idiotic moves. He royally fugs up every contract he touches, signs the wrong players, considers hometown players a premium...like  whole fug if a tabloid came out saying he actually worked as an underground mole spy for the Saints and had plans to sabotage the Panthers team I would 100% believe it.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1