• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philip Rivers retiring

Zod

2 minutes ago, TSLA said:

Wow, you’re still mad over that? Get over it. I don’t care about a certain college program. I’m a NFL guy and will only start to concentrate on college players once the Panthers start sucking. I actually had Mitch Trubisky as the best QB in his draft over Mahomes and Watson. Clearly thought that Trubisky was going to have one heck of a career. I was wrong. Howell is no where near the college QB Trubisky was. 

giphy.gif

Just because you get mad doesn't mean others do. I just laugh at you.

• Pie 1

Rivers has a lot of regular season stats. But only because he played for 17 years. He has 0 super bowls wins, 0 super bowl appearances. He only made it to 1 conference championship game (1-5 in divisional playoff games). 0 All Pro seasons, 0 MVP seasons. He lead the NFL in TDs as many times as he lead the league in INTs. Those are things the Hall of Fame is going to look at. He was a good consistent QB for a long time. I hate to say it but if Philip Rivers is a HOF then Matt Ryan is a 1st Ballot HOF. 

I like Rivers... love his country demeanor and his tenacity to trash talk. He will go out as a gunslinger and almost beat Buffalo this year in the playoffs, he walked away from the game still able to give a year then Brees who was 2 years too late to retire and ending is an embarassment.

How Rivers, Merrimen, Gates, Tomlinson, Jammer, Cromartie, Weddle could not win a SB is still baffling

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He did have Antonio Gates and Keenan Allen. Certainly not the WR corps that Big Ben had but he has definitely had some talent around him. That is what always made San Diego such an interesting case, it wasn't for lack of talent the franchise consistently fails. It's because it's a poorly run organization. 

Gates hasn’t made a pro bowl since 2011, he was constantly dealing with nagging injuries the later half of his career. Allen missed two season to torn acl.

From 2011 to 2017 no team over that period had more players on IR. The chargers are cursed and the only player that was there the whole time was Rivers.

There was one year where Rivers lost his number 1, 2 and 3 WR in the first four weeks of the season.

And then you have to remember the chargers never had a home field  advantage, there the only team were the opposing team fans would outnumber the home team constantly.

Rivers will never get his due for the sh*tshow he dealed with

16 minutes ago, panthers320 said:

Rivers has a lot of regular season stats. But only because he played for 17 years. He has 0 super bowls wins, 0 super bowl appearances. He only made it to 1 conference championship game (1-5 in divisional playoff games). 0 All Pro seasons, 0 MVP seasons. He lead the NFL in TDs as many times as he lead the league in INTs. Those are things the Hall of Fame is going to look at. He was a good consistent QB for a long time. I hate to say it but if Philip Rivers is a HOF then Matt Ryan is a 1st Ballot HOF. 

If you played in the AFC during the Brady and Manning 1 years, you probably lost a lot of playoff games. 

Add in the Steelers and Ravens in that Conference...and you probably lost a lot of playoff games.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

When Rivers was at State, TA McLendon told me that he had to tell him where to line up and what hole to run through after calling the play. 

TA did not realize that he was confessing to being stupid--he was telling me how smart Rivers was.  Said, "He knew where everyone on the field was supposed to be and what everyone on D was going to do."100 in 100: Stanly County's T.A. McLendon, Albemarle High and NC State  running back – The North State Journal

Friend of mine was friends with TA during his NCSU days....that was one dumb dude.

Let's just say that Philip and TA didn't hang out much off the field.

15 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If you played in the AFC during the Brady and Manning 1 years, you probably lost a lot of playoff games. 

Add in the Steelers and Ravens in that Conference...and you probably lost a lot of playoff games.

He lost to the Jets twice too. If he is just the 3rd or 4th best in just the AFC during his time (not counting everyone in the NFC), is he really worthy of the Hall of Fame?

12 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Eli Manning vs. Philip Rivers

Would the Giants have been better going with Rivers?

The world may never know.

I think for sure.  Philip was always more talented than Eli, he just didn't have the team structure like Ben and Eli enjoyed.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, panthers320 said:

He lost to the Jets twice too. If he is just the 3rd or 4th best in just the AFC during his time (not counting everyone in the NFC), is he really worthy of the Hall of Fame?

All but two years as a starter over 4000 yards passing, Who knows I think he was underated due to the backlog of HOF QBs during the era prob not.

Good for him, he had a great career.  Leaves with his health intact and a lot of money.  Can’t ask for much more than that.  If the Chargers weren’t so poorly run he could’ve had a ring, but then again we’ve never even had back-to-back winning seasons, so pot, meet kettle