• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Philip Rivers retiring

Zod

1 hour ago, panthers320 said:

No but your biggest point is that he is 5th on the list and Im saying by the time everyone that currently is playing retires he will be 9th or 10th or not even in the top 10. 

That isn't my biggest point. And by the time that everyone playing now retires, he will have long since been up for HOF consideration. It's only a five year window before that happens.

If you want points, he's fifth all time in passing yardage, fifth all time in passing TD's, twelfth all time in passing rating, 14th all time in completion percentage, 12th all time in game winning drives, 10th all time in 4th quarter comebacks, 8 Pro Bowls but....yeah....I guess he really never did anything, right?

To even say he hasn't had a career worthy of HOF consideration is utterly ridiculous.  His accomplishments aren't diminished because the league has had multiple HOF caliber QB's playing over the past 20 years any more than the other candidates would be. If you want the knocks against him, they would be the same as Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly or any number of other HOF QB's that either had little playoff success or never won a Super Bowl. 

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That isn't my biggest point. And by the time that everyone playing now retires, he will have long since been up for HOF consideration. It's only a five year window before that happens.

If you want points, he's fifth all time in passing yardage, fifth all time in passing TD's, twelfth all time in passing rating, 14th all time in completion percentage, 12th all time in game winning drives, 10th all time in 4th quarter comebacks, 8 Pro Bowls but....yeah....I guess he really never did anything, right?

To even say he hasn't had a career worthy of HOF consideration is utterly ridiculous.  His accomplishments aren't diminished because the league has had multiple HOF caliber QB's playing over the past 20 years any more than the other candidates would be. If you want the knocks against him, they would be the same as Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly or any number of other HOF QB's that either had little playoff success or never won a Super Bowl. 

By the time he is eligible for the HOF he will most likely be 8th or 9th on the list in terms of yards.

I never said he wasnt a good player. He had a nice long good career but he is not a Hall of Famer.

Do you know what those QBs had though, either a Super Bowl victory or an All Pro season. 14 other QBs have won either a 1st or 2nd Team All Pro since Rivers became the starter.

Fouts had 3 1st Team All Pros and 1 2nd Team All Pro and a MVP, Marino had 3 1stTeam All Pros and 5 2nd Team All Pro and a MVP, Warren Moon had a 1st Team All Pro (by TSN, 2nd Team by AP) and a MVP and Jim Kelly had a 1st Team All Pro and 2 2nd Team All Pros. 

Rivers would be the only QB EVER to have never won a Super Bowl or be named an All Pro to make it into the Hall of Fame as a QB. Every other QB has more than 1 combination of Super Bowl wins, All Pros or MVPs.

It wasn't just he always had to face Brady and Manning. He did but he also lost to the Jets twice the playoffs. Its also not just the playoffs, players like Wentz, Romo, Ryan, Jackson have all won All Pro honors when Rivers never has. In his entire career Rivers has 4 MVP votes. There have been 750 MVP votes cast in the years Rivers has been a starter and he has received 4! So he never had a single season where he was the best (or close to the best) at his position, he didn't have playoff success. The only thing he had was longevity and to me that is not enough to be considered one of the best to ever play.