• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watson not the only big name vet at QB that we're looking at?

ncfan

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Lions main focus is getting Stafford's contract off their hands.  I'd take the trade if it was Teddy B + a 3rd round pick.

Stafford with DJ Moore and Robby Anderson would be DUMB fun to watch

Yup

Dude has just been stuck on a terrible franchises 

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

He wouldn't have the remainder of his career.  They own his rights, even if he retires.

The $10.5m this year the could lose, is actually his first "big" year of salary.  The other years were lower amounts from his rookie contract.  The majority of money he has all ready received was from his signing bonus, of which they could go after and take back.

It's only marginally more than he made in 2020($9.8 mil). I suppose they could just hold him hostage for that length of time but they would essentially be establishing a permanent place as the worst franchise in the NFL. I sincerely doubt you will see any sort of player that isn't just chasing an easy paycheck want anything to do with them. 

He isn't destitute and I highly doubt the franchise wants to continue to lose money in a pointless and vindictive pissing match. I also don't think that ruining the career of one of the leagues budding stars would go over well in the league offices. 

Like I said, Watson has the bulk of the leverage here. The Texans may not realize that because they are a terribly run organization but if he decides he isn't playing there anymore, there isn't a lot they can do about it. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Spending resources to get Stanford is moving in the wrong direction. Signing him as a free agent would be a different story. 

That depends on the resources spent. Stafford's money owed is extremely cheap for a player of his caliber. So if you could get him for a 3rd round pick(just throwing out an example), I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's only marginally more than he made in 2020($9.8 mil). I suppose they could just hold him hostage for that length of time but they would essentially be establishing a permanent place as the worst franchise in the NFL. I sincerely doubt you will see any sort of player that isn't just chasing an easy paycheck want anything to do with them. 

He isn't destitute and I highly doubt the franchise wants to continue to lose money in a pointless and vindictive pissing match. I also don't think that ruining the career of one of the leagues budding stars would go over well in the league offices. 

Like I said, Watson has the bulk of the leverage here. The Texans may not realize that because they are a terribly run organization but if he decides he isn't playing there anymore, there isn't a lot they can do about it. 

If you think he has that much leverage what do you honestly think he gets traded for and to who?

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

I actually don't hate the Stafford idea as much as I originally thought. 

He's 32. He likely has 3-4 more good years left in him before his game tanks. 

I wouldn't give up anything more than a second for Stafford though. But if they took our second I'd draft a LT in round 1 and go all in a CB number one in free agency. Sign Stafford to a three year extension. Boom. There's your three year window to win. 

If it all blows up you haven't given up any future picks, have a LT for the future and CB is always a need in the NFL.

The future of the nfc is wide open and we are better situated perhaps moreso than any other team in the conference to be the architects of protracted dominance

I don't want a window

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Hes had exactly ONE gamebreaking offensive weapon in his entire career with the Lions.

I've seen a #1 draft pick that has had UFA tackles and absolutely no weapons take his team to the SB. He lost, but  that's still not bust material like Mr. Stafford. That lone weapon that he had was a beast and he still couldn't do what #1 PICKS OF THE DRAFT are drafted for. He still couldn't will a play off game with MegaTron. Knock it off and think about other prospects. What do you think he would do here?

• Poo 3

Just now, AU-panther said:

If you think he has that much leverage what do you honestly think he gets traded for and to who?

There is literally no telling. Remember, all this trade talk is 100% theoretical based on him being very upset. 

He may not even want to get traded at all. Until he or his reps or people near him start whispering to reporters about his intentions, this is all speculative. 

I can tell you where I THINK he SHOULD go but I have zero idea what his desires are for his career path. I couldn't even begin to accurately surmise that. 

And "for what?" That can't be known until the scenario is known. What if he says, "Anywhere but Houston?" Well, that means the bidding war is on and it could indeed be at the extreme prices that some have speculated. What if he says, "Only *insert 2-3 teams*." Well, now you have a pared down bidding war. Could get extreme if one team really, really wants him and is willing to do anything. What if he says, "Only *insert team*." In that case, the only real threshold is whatever the minimum Houston is willing to let him go for is before they say, "fug it, we'll wait until next offseason or until an injury happens." In this case, it's all about what Houston actually thinks they can get and what they are willing to accept.