• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watson not the only big name vet at QB that we're looking at?

ncfan

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

That depends on the resources spent. Stafford's money owed is extremely cheap for a player of his caliber. So if you could get him for a 3rd round pick(just throwing out an example), I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. 

It's a short term fix. It's a Hunrey-ish move if we give up draft capital. I don't like the one price away mentality he had.  Especially with Ted's wasted cap that's probably going to be dead money soon.

As a free agent, yeah I could see that as a huge positive. Stanford a couple of years ago was worth trading for, at this point just draft a QB with their 5 year window of cap friendliness and not a bloated vet QB contract.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, @bonafidebanter said:

Empty stats. Stafford didn't' help them either. Zero play off wins is all I need to see. You can have ALL OF THOSE STATS. Give me some wins.

How many playoff wins does Watson have? He had 4800 yards and 33tds last season plenty of "empty stats" heck while were at it screw playoff wins only QBs with SB wins matter. Its a TEAM sport.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

The number #1 priority for Tepper and Rhule this offseason is getting a QB. Whether that is trading up for Zach Wilson or trading for Watson/Stafford/Whoever, it will happen. 

I am doing math in my head--dangerous--but it seems that Watson to NYJ would help our chances of trading up later than #2---any word on Atlanta?  Are they looking QB?

Edited by MHS831

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

How many playoff wins does Watson have? He had 4800 yards and 33tds last season plenty of "empty stats" heck while were at it screw playoff wins only QBs with SB wins matter. Its a TEAM sport.

When you're picked #1 over all, Watson wasn't, you're expected to do more than fantasy football numbers is all that I'm saying. Now he's old and raggedy. I wouldn't touch him in YOUR fantasy league. Bust. Get a play off win, then we MIGHT can talk but I doubt it.

Just now, Waldo said:

It's a short term fix. It's a Hunrey-ish move if we give up draft capital. I don't like the one price away mentality he had.  Especially with Ted's wasted cap that's probably going to be dead money soon.

As a free agent, yeah I could see that as a huge positive. Stanford a couple of years ago was worth trading for, at this point just draft a QB with their 5 year window of cap friendliness and not a bloated vet QB contract.

It's a short term fix with long term potential that is much greater than with Bridgewater. Stafford is only 32, he's an established NFL QB that has had some very good results. He's probably in that group underneath the elite guys, so he still has the potential to make that jump in some sense. 

The big bonus is that if we decide to get out of his deal, there are no dead money ramifications to us. We could get out at any point in 2021 or 2022 with little to no cap hit. 

Again, depending on price, he is probably cheaper than he would be on the free agent market. It's also not a bloated contract. Teddy is due $23 mil in 2021 and $26 mil in 2022. Stafford would be owed $20 mil in 2021 and $23 mil in 2022. He's actually cheaper than Teddy, although, as you pointed out that doesn't account for how much cutting Teddy will hit our cap.

I am definitely not against getting a guy like Stafford. I just need to know the scenario to decide whether I agree with it or not. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There is literally no telling. Remember, all this trade talk is 100% theoretical based on him being very upset. 

He may not even want to get traded at all. Until he or his reps or people near him start whispering to reporters about his intentions, this is all speculative. 

I can tell you where I THINK he SHOULD go but I have zero idea what his desires are for his career path. I couldn't even begin to accurately surmise that. 

And "for what?" That can't be known until the scenario is known. What if he says, "Anywhere but Houston?" Well, that means the bidding war is on and it could indeed be at the extreme prices that some have speculated. What if he says, "Only *insert 2-3 teams*." Well, now you have a pared down bidding war. Could get extreme if one team really, really wants him and is willing to do anything. What if he says, "Only *insert team*." In that case, the only real threshold is whatever the minimum Houston is willing to let him go for is before they say, "fug it, we'll wait until next offseason or until an injury happens." In this case, it's all about what Houston actually thinks they can get and what they are willing to accept.

But you said he had all of this leverage, if he really had all of this leverage he would make sure whatever team he goes to wouldn't have to give up much so he could be on a better team.  Wouldn't matter how many team were actually bidding.

If he was really a free agent so to speak like a lot of you think they wouldn't give up much at all.

49 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

And that is dumb as hell, just like when u thought Little should have been a first round pick for the Panthers.

Oh yeah? Me reporting the Panthers had heavy interest in Little in the first means I thought he should have? Reading comprehension is tough. 

• Flames 6
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

But you said he had all of this leverage, if he really had all of this leverage he would make sure whatever team he goes to wouldn't have to give up much so he could be on a better team.  Wouldn't matter how many team were actually bidding.

If he was really a free agent so to speak like a lot of you think they wouldn't give up much at all.

He does have all this leverage but that doesn't mean he will use it. We simply cannot know what he will do until he does it. Maybe as mad as he is at the Texans he doesn't want to go scorched earth and fug them that hard? Maybe he just wants to leave the Texans and doesn't care where(I kind of doubt that scenario)? 

He isn't a free agent but he does actually hold most of the cards in the forced trade scenario precisely BECAUSE of that no-trade clause. But, we have no idea when/if/how he decides to play those cards.

I have never waivered from saying this is all speculation. I'm just painting the various scenarios that COULD happen and the ones I think are most LIKELY to happen.

Edited by kungfoodude

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It's a short term fix with long term potential that is much greater than with Bridgewater. Stafford is only 32, he's an established NFL QB that has had some very good results. He's probably in that group underneath the elite guys, so he still has the potential to make that jump in some sense. 

The big bonus is that if we decide to get out of his deal, there are no dead money ramifications to us. We could get out at any point in 2021 or 2022 with little to no cap hit. 

Again, depending on price, he is probably cheaper than he would be on the free agent market. It's also not a bloated contract. Teddy is due $23 mil in 2021 and $26 mil in 2022. Stafford would be owed $20 mil in 2021 and $23 mil in 2022. He's actually cheaper than Teddy, although, as you pointed out that doesn't account for how much cutting Teddy will hit our cap.

I am definitely not against getting a guy like Stafford. I just need to know the scenario to decide whether I agree with it or not. 

I get it and I respect your view on it.

I just don't want a vet as our answer at QB. I want to see a rookie we can build around. That's just what I want to see. I'm underwhelmed by any vet not Watson, and he is way too expensive to get to get.

After Ted and massively disappointing overall roster building, I don't want another rental vet. I want a damn stud we hope to see play at least 10 years. If the draft doesn't go that way then sign a vet from the vet heap and prey we can do better.