• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More info on Scott Fitterer

Mr. Scot

This time from Seahawks GM John Schneider.

Seahawks GM will miss Fitterer's calm, steady approach

Excerpts:

Schneider is convinced the Panthers made the right call by hiring his lieutenant Scott Fitterer as their next GM, and he knows he might miss the guy he counts on for a steady voice when things get rushed.

"You guys are going to kick ass," Schneider said of the Panthers' decision to hire Fitterer. "It'll be a really fun culture."

(On) draft weekends, head coach Pete Carroll will be on the right, Fitterer on his left, with Schneider in the middle taking phone calls and processing information.

"Scott's very calming," Schneider said. "When people come up to you trying to change the board during the draft, he's like 'Hey-hey-hey. Stick to the board. Don't let these people keep affecting you.' He knows how to operate in that setting. He just has the ability to say, 'Stop, we've got this.'"

That includes having the strength to tell the boss when to say when.

Schneider recalled one year when he moved back three times, piling up later-round picks. At a certain point, Fitterer was ready to use some of the picks on players they liked.

"I looked at him and said, 'Are we good with this?'" Schneider said. "He's like, 'Yeah, I'm good with it, but can we stop trading back now? Look at the board right now, John.'"

Bills director of player personnel Dan Morgan saw it when he began his personnel career with the Seahawks as a scouting intern, where Fitterer and others took the former Pro Bowl linebacker under their wings to teach him how to scout.

"John's a very inclusive leader, and lets everyone have a voice. And Scott has a big voice there," Morgan said. "He's always very detailed, and had a clear sense of what he wanted and who he liked."

The picture that continues to emerge of Fitterer is one of steadiness, a consensus-builder who doesn't need all the credit.
Sam Farmer explains what the Panthers are getting in Scott Fitterer

"Just no ego. And that's natural for him," Schneider said. "There's a humbleness and a confidence about him that's rare in this industry where people are constantly trying to be promoted and rewarded for their hard work."

Schneider made Fitterer and Trent Kirchner co-directors, giving them equal authority. Fitterer's background is in college scouting, while Kirchner's is on the pro side. They're also different personalities, as Kirchner (who used to be a pro scout for the Panthers) can burn a little hot.

"Completely different individuals, which I love," Schneider said. "One guy's Tony Dungy and one guy's Jon Gruden.

"One guy is going to put the chew in and the pound the coffee and grind it, grind it, grind it. The other guy is going to feel his way through situations differently, ... just a different style."

(Schneider) also thinks that Fitterer's "unflappable" personality helps make it work.

"These guys are included in everything, and that's what we pride ourselves on, having no walls," Schneider said. "'You're just a college guy, stay in your lane.' We don't do that.

"So whatever he wants to learn and grow about, he's been able to do that."

Now, Fitterer is on track to do just that, to evolve into a larger role in Carolina, one with responsibilities he's new to.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 2

With this being a weird year and having to adapt to huge changes, Frittereerererer has been scouting this group of draftees for around 7 years in most cases. That mixed with Rhule/staff fresh out of college, its great for the panthers cause we need to ace this draft and get a great UDFA haul too. 

I did also hear Fritererrerer is well like around the league, thats great for trades. More than a few teams only trade with a few teams. Panthers and Seattle already are trade BFFs. 

• Pie 1

Coming more around to the hire as the days go by.  He wasn’t my first choice, but he seems like a good option.  I just want to see him have a press conference so I can hear from the man himself.  But by all things I’ve seen, he’s not afraid to call you out on things he doesn’t agree with, which is what we need 

• Beer 2

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person pointed out that besides Fitterer's good rep, he's also well connected.

That's the kind of thing that comes in handy when you're trying to recruit good people to your organization.

I do want Matt Berry form Seattle, it will be a wait/see after the draft about new people. I bet more than a few current staff will want to join RR & Herniay. He could also bring on Scot McCloughan in a minor role. His demons are know, but hes also a REAL talent evaluator....David Tepper...

I know they hot for an asst GM role, I bet they add about three totally new roles along with replacing scouts that leave.  

Good stuff here!

Happy about the guy who was the brakes in the trading back bonanza bit. Still worried this was the guy who was the expert in scouting side for them recently, hopefully that will be the other two in the room and less his personal preferences. Very happy to learn his overall demeanor, very positive. The lack of ego is a nice bonus. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Coming more around to the hire as the days go by.  He wasn’t my first choice, but he seems like a good option.  I just want to see him have a press conference so I can hear from the man himself.  But by all things I’ve seen, he’s not afraid to call you out on things he doesn’t agree with, which is what we need 

I didnt know about him and he came on late with plenty of rocket fuel. Forget football as that pains in this choice, if you take Tepper/Rhule whos a "fit" for them? Thats where firttererererer won, personalities are puzzling. I bet Fritterereer knows how to work a room full of Tepper types(hung naround Paul Allens crew). Thats Rhule too, he went form the North to Texas and got everyone believing in a yankee. Fritterererereer imo, has the same magic.

I've begun to feel like at some point down the road, Dan Morgan is going to be part of the Panthers front office. I'm just not sure when.

And yeah Scot McCloughan is a name I ran across a few times while reading up on Fitterer. Heaven knows he's talented, but how willing are you to put yourself in a position of depending on him?

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Folks who are worried about us trading back as much as the Seahawks have been doing will probably appreciate quote number three.

Would be interesting to see if they found value or if they should have kept on trading back. Or maybe trading up or getting picks for 2018.. haha 

Was about to ask if anyone could identify the year, but I did take a look and i am sure the year is 2017. It could maybe be 2019, but that is not as likely. 

Sooo, how did they do in 2017. 

3 minutes ago, kass said:

Would be interesting to see if they found value or if they should have kept on trading back. Or maybe trading up or getting picks for 2018.. haha 

Was about to ask if anyone could identify the year, but I did take a look and i am sure the year is 2017. It could maybe be 2019, but that is not as likely. 

Sooo, how did they do in 2017. 

Got Chris Carson out of it, but using that first round pick on Malik McDowell...yikes!

This is why I try to be careful about looking at drafts though. The guys in the room are part of the process, but they're not the ones making the final choices.

how much blame they deserve for mistakes, and also how much credit they deserve for successes, is something you have to temper.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've begun to feel like at some point down the road, Dan Morgan is going to be part of the Panthers front office. I'm just not sure when.

And yeah Scot McCloughan is a name I ran across a few times while reading up on Fitterer. Heaven knows he's talented, but how willing are you to put yourself in a position of depending on him?

No thats why you give him a small role and see if trust builds. Chief Consultant of Pro players or some other made up role. He would be a asset, tilt he proves he not. During those great drafts in early 2010s, Scot was there and its said he had loads of input/power on those picks. Everywhere hes gone, he finds tough strong all football types. Thats what Rhule wants, its worth a gamble. 

One thing I saw, every year they spent a pick at RB.... too bad with CMC thats out of the question. Its almost like some teams dont value the RB spot.....

7 out the last 8 years, they spent at least one pick at RB(mainly late rounders). Two years they spent at least 2 picks on RB in the same draft. 

Edited by Basbear